Beach wheelchair rental in Nassua or Freeport?

CC103

Hello, My husband & I are thinking about going on our first cruise ever. We've been looking at Carnival. Leaving out of Baltimore MD, going to Orlando, Nassua, & Freeport. My main concern.... I am in a wheelchair. I would have my own wheelchair with me but cant seem to find info on renting a beach wheelchair while in Nassua & Freeport. If I visit the Bahamas, I want to experience the beach/water. I talked to a Carnival rep via phone but they really didn't help me with the info. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance

I'm not into beaches, thus cannot provide detailed info. However, I do stumble across some info occasionally.

In Nassau, just west of the cruise ship docks, there is Junkanoo Beach. I do know that it does have some accessibility, but do not know if they have beach wheelchairs or not. Could not find the concession that services it. It is only .6 miles from the cruise terminal and the route is accessible.

In Freeport, Paradise Cove Beach Resort did offer a shuttle service between cruise docks and the resort that was wheelchair accessible. I do not know if anything at the resort is accessible or not.

Bahamas.gov.bs website does have a customer service contact form. I'd suggest you send a couple request to them asking what is available each place.

Carnival's shopping tour transportation to Orlando from Port Canaveral is not a sure thing. “Wheelchair accessible transportation can be provided for this tour, but it is not guaranteed and must be requested prior to ship’s arrival via the Shore Excursions Desk.” That is the only accessible tour they are currently offering.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Hello, My husband & I are thinking about going on our first cruise ever. We've been looking at Carnival. Leaving out of Baltimore MD, going to Orlando, Nassua, & Freeport. My main concern.... I am in a wheelchair. I would have my own wheelchair with me but cant seem to find info on renting a beach wheelchair while in Nassua & Freeport. If I visit the Bahamas, I want to experience the beach/water. I talked to a Carnival rep via phone but they really didn't help me with the info. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance

Did you end up going to Nassau? We are going in 3 weeks and I'm trying to find info on it. If you went...what beach did you go to? How was it accessibility wise? We have 2 kids in wheelchairs...TIA.

Did you end up going to Nassau? We are going in 3 weeks and I'm trying to find info on it. If you went...what beach did you go to? How was it accessibility wise? We have 2 kids in wheelchairs...TIA.

We went on our cruise in Oct (LOVED it!!!!). We actually ended up going with Royal Caribbean because they supplied beach wheelchairs on their island, CoCo Cay Bahamas. We also visited Nassua, but we did a sight seeing tour instead of a beach trip. Sorry I cant help you more. Enjoy the cruise :)

• 1 year later...

If you’re ready to dish some money, there are beach wheelchair rentals in Nassau inside Atlantis resort.  There is a company called a Cardinal Mobility, comes up easily in google searches.  I called and reserved a beach wheelchair for this September.  It’s $75/day.  They may deliver to other resorts/hotels, but we are just there for the day.  I also booked wheelchair accessible transportation privately instead of taking a chance on a public wheelchair taxi van being available.  My daughter is 20 and cannot transfer in and out of taxis, also the w/c doesn’t fold.  So booked transportation with Betty Fox at Majestic tours.  The cost for private transportation is highway robbery but we’re going to have a beach day! 

• 5 months later...

In Nassau, just west of the cruise ship docks, there is Junkanoo Beach. I do know that it does have some accessibility, but do not know if they have beach wheelchairs or not. Could not find the concession that services it. It is only .6 miles from the cruise terminal and the route is accessible.

-------------------------------------------------------

Great!  I'm on a knee scooter and have a cast so that might be a nice place for me to go spend a few hours,  I'll have to cover my cast as not to get sand in there and no water but at least I can get off the ship and enjoy a bit!