Dinner in Oslo

canrubu

Once you see the prices you will eat on the ship. Norway and especially Oslo is the most expensive place we have been, much higher than Tokyo, London or NY even allowing for the 20% tip. The prices are about double London ones, we ended up in the TGI Friday's, still very expensive. Alcohol is prohibitively priced , in Norway become teetotal, otherwise you will have a fit at prices. Wine is about 7x the price in the med.

If proximity is the primary consideration... I confirmed that Navigator is docking at Akershuskaia, alongside the Akershus fortress.

There are a few restaurants right on the pier, and I think one of them is still open (some of the waterfront restaurants are only open in the summer).

Just around the corner from the pier road is Cafe Skansen, which is a mid-range restaurant in a historic building that serves typical restaurant dishes. A block beyond that on Øvre Slottsgate is Sentralen, which has a good small-dish tapas-style menu based strongly on Norwegian dishes and ingredients. Also in that area are some of the classic high-end restaurants: Gamle Rådhus and Statholdergaarden.

For non-Norwegian fare: Der Peppern Gror is a good mid-range Indian restaurant (with an extra focus on street food dishes) behind the city hall. Dinner on Stortingsgata is a higher-range Chinese fusion restaurant. Yaya's (which has a location on both Munkedamsveien and Øvre Vollgate) is a mid-range Thai restaurant with a fun tropical atmosphere.

There are also loads of restaurants in the Aker Brygge and Tjuvholmen areas, but be warned that the carry the price markup and crowds from being in a trendy waterfront district. Lofoten does excellent fish. Rorbua and D.S. Louise are both popular choices for out-of-town visitors at work.

If food isn't the primary deciding factor (or for after-dinner considerations), the Amundsen brewpub is right behind the city hall and has a good assortment of local (and some imported) craft beers.

What kind of pricing and/or cuisine are you looking for?

We are looking for mid range. We are used to Chicago streak houses and usually splurge while on vacation. We would rather have tried something than regret it when we get home that we didn't.

Nicely situated on a hill overlooking the harbour is Ekebergsrestauranten, easy to reach by tram from the city center. It has made it to wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekebergrestauranten .The views are spectacular.

At Aker Brygge there is on the shoreline to the harbor the fish restaurant Lofoten, popular with locals and visitors alike, walking distance from the city hall. Both places are not cheap, but that is nothing in Norway.

As beeing semi-local (Norwegian, not living in Oslo) I would like to suggest two alternatives if you want a taste of Norway with a modern twist:

Stormkjøkkenet (The Storm Kitchen). I actually invited with me a friend (and the chef for our wedding) who works as instruction chef at one of the Oceania ships. He enjoyed it.

Another place I can recommend is Fjøla (The chopping board) located in Østbanehallen. Good place for a quick and tasty bite! Personally I love their king crab sandwich...

Welcome to Norway!

As beeing semi-local (Norwegian, not living in Oslo) I would like to suggest two alternatives if you want a taste of Norway with a modern twist:

Stormkjøkkenet (The Storm Kitchen). I actually invited with me a friend (and the chef for our wedding) who works as instruction chef at one of the Oceania ships. He enjoyed it.

Another place I can recommend is Fjøla (The chopping board) located in Østbanehallen. Good place for a quick and tasty bite! Personally I love their king crab sandwich...

Welcome to Norway!

Both of those are on my long list to try! Glad to hear some good things!