I need something new in Roatan

mitsugirly

We recently visited Turquoise Bay Resort. They specialize in diving. We did the horseback Riding package. The price was very reasonable. We were the only ones at the resort for several hours. A beautiful experience. Definitely a hidden gem. They include transportation to and from the port.

We are heading back to Roatan for the 1234908636434 time (just kidding but seems like it). We need something new to do (maybe).

In the past we have done Maya Key, West Bay, Zip lining and the animals with Bodden, and Little French Key about 3 or 4 times (I've lost count at this point).

While our favorite thing so far has been LFK, I feel like I need something new. Each time we go there they have made additional changes/add-on's and while it's super nice and more options, I feel like it just has so much now and getting so popular but yet still the same old same old. I need something different I think.

We are beach loving, snorkeling and fun in the sun type of people. What would you suggest?

t

I have only been to Roaran once in Mahogany Bay and stayed there on the beach. Coming into Coxen Hole this time on NCL on Oct 9. Read about LFK. Is this your first recommendation??

t

I have only been to Roaran once in Mahogany Bay and stayed there on the beach. Coming into Coxen Hole this time on NCL on Oct 9. Read about LFK. Is this your first recommendation??

If you have never been before, yes it would be my personal recommendation. However, docking at Mahogany Bay would have been a better choice to go to LFK because they are closer to there. But it's still not that far away.

Mitsugirly, the kids and I snorkeled half moon bay a couple years ago. I don't dive so my comments are from a snorkeling perspective only. First, the coral was in pretty good shape. We went about half way out toward (I think it is) lighthouse point. I don't remember the water being deep enough that I think it would be attractive for diving. That said, there are dive shops all up and down West End Village.

Good luck to you.

We are heading back to Roatan for the 1234908636434 time (just kidding but seems like it). We need something new to do (maybe).

In the past we have done Maya Key, West Bay, Zip lining and the animals with Bodden, and Little French Key about 3 or 4 times (I've lost count at this point).

While our favorite thing so far has been LFK, I feel like I need something new. Each time we go there they have made additional changes/add-on's and while it's super nice and more options, I feel like it just has so much now and getting so popular but yet still the same old same old. I need something different I think.

We are beach loving, snorkeling and fun in the sun type of people. What would you suggest?

Parrot Tree Resort. Google it. We have been to Roatan many times & love it there. Great beach/lagoon, nice bar with great food and a huge pool. Best of all it has always been very chill and no crowds. There is a small day use fee, I can't remember the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Parrot Tree Resort. Google it. We have been to Roatan many times & love it there. Great beach/lagoon, nice bar with great food and a huge pool. Best of all it has always been very chill and no crowds. There is a small day use fee, I can't remember the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's funny you mentioned this. When this thread was started, we actually booked with Daniel Johnson and doing his sloths, 2 snorkeling places and ending at Parrot Tree for the remainder of the day. Most people seem to dislike the Parrot Tree for some reason.

We have decided to scuba dive here instead and just booked. Maybe I'll try the Parrot Tree out next time. Thanks

So Daniel Johnson has several "excursion passes" and they seem like a pretty good price.

Here's what they wrote to me:

We offer these different excursions:

-Island Tours with stops at the Monkey and Sloth Hangout! : In this tour you will get to visit the Monkey and Sloth Hangout, but before you will take a tour to the different little communities, stopping at different beautiful scenic picture taking spots! Along the way your driver and tour guide will be informing you about the history of the island. Then after the tour and stop at the Monkey and Sloth Hangout, there is an option to stop at Parrot Tree Resort to have lunch or jump in the ocean to cool off for the remainder of the day, until you have to go back to the ship AT LEAST one hour before it leaves!

30$ per person

We can also include Zip Lining for an additional 45$ each at the Pirates of the Caribbean Zip

-Transportation to and from your port of arrival to the Monkey and Sloth Hangout! : Here we will pick you up at the port you dock in and will drive you the park. There you will get to interact and play with the animals. After interacting and enjoying the animals, we will take you back to the port so you can continue on you other endeavors for the day! It includes the entrance fee to the Hangout.

20$ per person

-Monkey Snorkeling: Let us take you to show you our beautiful barrier reef which is the world's second largest! By doing either offshore snorkeling or inshore snorkeling on a beautiful 4 feet deep coral reef! On this excursion you will take a tour of the island and stop and play with our monkeys and sloths! After you monkey around with them, then we hop in a boat and go off to explore the beautiful under water sites !! After snorkeling, we then take you to the beautiful Parrot Tree Beach Resort to grab some lunch.

We include all snorkel gear and guide in the water!

45$ per person

All excursions include pick up and drop off at your ship at least ONE HOUR before your ship leaves!

Please note that none of the excursion prices include lunch. On the island tour excursion, or monkey snorkeling excursion, you're welcome to stop to purchase food at the price of whatever you wish to purchase. Parrot tree Resort has a restaurant on the beach!

Payment is done is USD Dollar Cash only

Kids 4 and under are free on all excursions!

We would REALLY like to the the sloths, snorkeling and Parrot Tree. It sounds awesome and we would get to experience 3 things.

Has anyone done this particular tour? What were your thoughts and how long did you get to stay at Parrot Tree?

My only issue is...I DON'T want a tour of the island. I have read how they do take you to some beautiful stops to get pictures of the ocean but also take you to the "slums" area. I'm well aware of these area's in every port and really don't care to see it or spend my time on a tour.

Hey Kim,

We used Daniel Johnson A couple years ago and had a great time. He will take you anywhere you want to go. We toured the whole island. His sloths & monkeys are adorable.

I highly recommend him.

Hey Kim,

We used Daniel Johnson A couple years ago and had a great time. He will take you anywhere you want to go. We toured the whole island. His sloths & monkeys are adorable.

I highly recommend him.

We have decided to scuba dive instead, but thanks. We will probably try him out next time. :)

We have decided to scuba dive here instead and just booked. Maybe I'll try the Parrot Tree out next time. Thanks

Howdy Mitsugirly,

Can I ask you who you decided to book with? When will you be doing your dive?

Thanks

ddaz

GBY

Yeah! Have a blast. You will LOVE diving Roatan.

We are leaving in 2 days for a week of diving in Cozumel. Not cruising again until Feb.

Cozumel diving is okay but while you're there go over to Playa and Tulum and do some Cenote diving. Belize diving has its own uniqueness with the atolls. Roatan diving is great because a lot of it is very close to the beach.

• 2 weeks later...
Last time I went to West Bay, my agenda included walking down to Bite on the Beach to have lunch and check out the eels there. However, we never made it because we were on a "Zip & Dip" excursion with Bodden and our dip portion was supposed to be longer but the rest of the people aren't "beach freaks" like us and picked an earlier time to go back. I was upset, but what could I do?

What we have done is book a private tour... first time with Daniel Johnson (before his place got so popular!) and the second time (and upcoming 3rd) with Victor Bodden tours. With 4 people it is only 25 dollars a person for a driver and van for the entire day.... they go WHERE you want, WHEN you want. I never want to be tied to a group tour either :)

Yeah! Have a blast. You will LOVE diving Roatan.

We are leaving in 2 days for a week of diving in Cozumel. Not cruising again until Feb.

Thanks Robin. I'm real excited about diving at West Bay. I'm hoping for a great experience.

Have a great time in Cozumel!

Howdy Mitsugirly,

Can I ask you who you decided to book with? When will you be doing your dive?

Thanks

ddaz

GBY

We will be doing our dive in November and booked with Bananarama. :)

What we have done is book a private tour... first time with Daniel Johnson (before his place got so popular!) and the second time (and upcoming 3rd) with Victor Bodden tours. With 4 people it is only 25 dollars a person for a driver and van for the entire day.... they go WHERE you want, WHEN you want. I never want to be tied to a group tour either :)

We are NOT tour type of people. So, it would be pointless for us to book anything like a tour or driver. Anything we would do would be less expensive just to take a cab.

We have used Bodden before (with zip lining and such) and honestly, there were so many errors made that day with safety and getting hurt that I would NEVER use them again...for ANYTHING.

As for Daniel Johnson...that's who we originally was going to use and go to see the sloths, snorkeling and head to the Parrot Tree, but decided to dive instead. We will definitely use DJ next time around. :)

So...this Cal's, is this a beach? Or just a restaurant with a "good view"? Not interested in any restaurants or views unless it's while sitting on a beach or in the water. :D

I ALMOST FORGOT...I decided a long time ago that the next time we came to Roatan, we were going to go see the ssssslllloooootttthhhhhsssss (sloths said in my very slow voice). ;p

So, I will be contacting Daniel Johnson's for that. But, we still need to figure out something else to do that day. :confused:

I can't believe I AM suggesting something to Mitsugirly after reading all your reviews and helping me on so many decisions. We went to Daniel Johnsons place and added the snorkeling option. It was off a boat so know that is not your thing but we were the only ones that went out. It was raining that day so many people cancelled but it was the sweetest little old man captain and a scuba diver enthusiast went with us. It was so personal and load back. Felt like we were family. It was nothing fancy and an older boat but took us out to the reef right by the monkey sanctuary. Seems like his family all work there. His aunt drove us back to the port and stopped at an AI so we could get a monkey la la drink. It was a great day treated like family. The reef was gorgeous even with the clouds and rain.

I can't believe I AM suggesting something to Mitsugirly after reading all your reviews and helping me on so many decisions. We went to Daniel Johnsons place and added the snorkeling option. It was off a boat so know that is not your thing but we were the only ones that went out. It was raining that day so many people cancelled but it was the sweetest little old man captain and a scuba diver enthusiast went with us. It was so personal and load back. Felt like we were family. It was nothing fancy and an older boat but took us out to the reef right by the monkey sanctuary. Seems like his family all work there. His aunt drove us back to the port and stopped at an AI so we could get a monkey la la drink. It was a great day treated like family. The reef was gorgeous even with the clouds and rain.

Oops. See you have booked scuba diving. Didn't read far enough back. Enjoy. Just means another great review to look forward to

Yep, but I WILL make it to Daniels next time we are there. They did tell us that we would be snorkeling at 2 areas right between the monkey place and Little French Key. They said there was an area around 4-5' deep and another 20' deep. The entire trip sounded like a great time, but we always try to scuba in at least 1 of the ports we are visiting and this ended up being the obvious choice.

We have used Bodden before (with zip lining and such) and honestly, there were so many errors made that day with safety and getting hurt that I would NEVER use them again...for ANYTHING.

That is scary! Care to share more? I honestly have not heard any complaints about them before, so am interested to hear what happened.

Just coming back from our cruise and Roatan. We spent the morning snorkeling with Herbert from Roatan Ocean Adventures. It was so great! He picked us up just outside the port & took us snorkel hopping. We snorkeled two spots then did a drift snorkel. He was very knowledgeable and friendly. We had hoped to go to one more spot when a rainstorm started. We headed back and he took us to Daniel Johnson Monkey and Sloth hangout since we missed the last snorkel spot. Then he drove us back to port. I hope someday we can visit Roatan and stay the week to explore the area. We would definitely use Herbert and Roatan Ocean Adventures to help us plan our fun adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is scary! Care to share more? I honestly have not heard any complaints about them before, so am interested to hear what happened.

Absolutely. We had 2 problems that day with zipling and the animals...all relating to safety.

You can read my review listed here ---> https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30662590&postcount=23

mitsy, I read your review with Boden with the monkeys, is this the same place with the slothes or is that a different place? I want to hold a sloth not crazy about monkeys. But not sure if want to pay $40 for the 4 of us just to hold slothes.

mitsy, I read your review with Boden with the monkeys, is this the same place with the slothes or is that a different place? I want to hold a sloth not crazy about monkeys. But not sure if want to pay $40 for the 4 of us just to hold slothes.

Not the same place. Daniel Johnson is the place with the sloths. He's located right across from Little French Key basically.