Antarctica Clothing: Get from Seabourn Vendor?

notjaded

For those of you who have made decisions for Antarctica, have you used the vendor to which Seabourn refers: https://www.shiptoshoretraveler.com/gfo/antsbn/

If so, have you been pleased with their products and service?

Another question: I've heard that there is a "boot and parka exchange." Is this for those who buy parkas and rent boots from this provider?

Many thanks!

Yes, we used them to hire our boots, which were new (first cruise of the second season). The boots were waiting in our suite when we arrived onboard, along with the excellent complimentary Seabourn parka with padded inner jacket (and beanie and backpack)

The exchange takes place in case the sizes supplied don't fit you.

I thought the service excellent.

My supplied parka was a bit small, the lady behind me in the exchange queue parka was far too big for her; we just swapped before we even reached The Club (where the exchange took place)

Edited by SKP946

notjaded,

We had an excellent experience with shiptoshoretraveler.com. I called them a couple of times with questions about sizes, and they were extremely helpful. I ordered rental boots & poles (poles were not critical) and purchased their waterproof pants, gloves and socks. I bought other items locally, but followed their recommendations for layering needs. My favorite and most-used item was the neck gaiter, which was really warm and not as bulky as a scarf.

We didn't need the boot & parka exchange, but it seemed to be extremely well-organized and helpful. The Quest also clothing items available in the ship's gift shop, which we also didn't need but were happy to know it was there "just in case."

My husband and I were on the Quest's January sailing, and it was by far our all-time favorite travel experience. I have blog posts on Antarctica and all the other ports (including clothing info), which you might find helpful as you plan your trip.

Have a wonderful time! It's truly an adventure of a lifetime :)

Mary

Travel Blog: http://www.themodernpostcard.com

Keithb,

Both my husband and I went up a size in boots, especially knowing we would be wearing thick socks and sock liners. We followed the sizing on the shiptoshoretraveler.com website, and even though we were afraid they would be too large, they were the correct size. The parkas ran pretty true to size.

Don't worry if something doesn't fit. The boot & parka exchange will make sure you are properly outfitted.

Good luck, and have a wonderful trip!

Mary

Travel Blog: http://www.themodernpostcard.com

Can anyone tell me how true the sizes are for the parka and boots.?

I found the Alaska jackets (same company) too large and we all had to exchange for the size below what the size guide said. Also they are unisex so for women the fit is pretty poor anyway with too long arms. Having said all that i love my jacket and have worn it in heavy rain at home since my return!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We used the service but with Crystal Cruises on their NWP cruise.

Pretty much the same items.

The company was great to work with so I do recommend them.

We spoke with them before we ordered the boots.

Mine was simple and I ordered my show size and they accommodated two pairs of socks.

My wife wears a slightly smaller shoe size then a sports shoe size. They recommended the larger sports shoe size and that worked out perfectly.

If you are a half size I would go up to the full size and you can wear additional socks. We wanted to wear two pairs as I mentioned and that worked perfectly.

For those of you who live in a cold area and near an REI they typically carry those boots so you may be able to find them in the store to try them on.

For an outer layer jacket you need to think through what you are wearing underneath it. If in doubt call them on the phone to talk this through. I found they gave very good guidance by phone and in e mails but for something like this I prefer talking it through on the telephone.

Keith