I thought the Guys Burger Joint affection was overblown I was wrong

jjennings1990

I am not a fan of guy's burgers, but not to say they dont taste good. I just dont like ground beef much, tastes ok, but digestion is a different matter. I do very much like the toppings though. The thing that bothers me most though is the calorie count. Since I have become more aware of calories, and try to stay within limits to avoid weight gain, I find it quite alarming. But to those who dont worry about that, and who like them. I say go for it and enjoy.

I totally agree. I love good burgers and Guys are not. A well done pressed burger is not how good burgers served. A big fat burger medium rare, dripping with juice is how a great burger should me served.

A big fat MEDIUM RARE burger could potentially make you very ill....Bacteria:eek:...NO THANKS....My son worked for a few years in one of the higher end restaurants and they would NOT serve medium rare ground beef ...even if the customer insisted...

Newsflash, according to the USDA, ALL ground meats should be cooked to a minimum of 160 degrees. Unless you are grinding the steak meat yourself, well done is the safest option.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I own a restaurant and am a chef, they are referring to ground beef, which allows 2% organ meat which carries e coli. This is why chains like Red Robin cook their burgers to MW. We are proud to serve our burgers MR, 25 years, hand packed ground sirloin, no one has become ill. We hand pack, never press and char broil. Flat tops (griddles) make burgers greasy, period.

A big fat MEDIUM RARE burger could potentially make you very ill....Bacteria:eek:...NO THANKS....My son worked for a few years in one of the higher end restaurants and they would NOT serve medium rare ground beef ...even if the customer insisted...

guaranteed , not a high end restaurant. Guy himself advocates MR, have you ever seen his show? I have eaten in his Vegas restaurants and they promote MR, get a clue. What specifically can make you ill? You take a sirloin steak, put it in a grinder, season with salt and pepper, hand pack, grill to MR

fingers crossed I can do a veggie burger at GBJ so I can at least say ate there. Its been 25 years and no red meat. not starting at GBJ

My understanding is that they offer them, but that you may have to request one.

Might take a few minutes longer, but it'll be hot off the grill!:D

guaranteed , not a high end restaurant. Guy himself advocates MR, have you ever seen his show? I have eaten in his Vegas restaurants and they promote MR, get a clue. What specifically can make you ill? You take a sirloin steak, put it in a grinder, season with salt and pepper, hand pack, grill to MR

My Apologies...I did "get a clue"....I was unaware that at "Guy's Burger Joint" that there is in fact someone grinding the "sirloin" steak and immediately cooking it...

Edited by abby1257

Problem is the e coli bacteria festering in the meat grinder. So unless someone cleans the grinder with sanitizer after each use, you are at risk from the half cook ground meat. Then again, I don't have a food safe degree from Hamburger University. So what do I know.

Love me a Guy's burger! We find the food on Carnival to be 90% inedible, but we do enjoy Guy's!

So why do you cruise on Carnival if the food is 90% inedible?

I think I enjoy the guys because I see them coming fresh off the grill. YUMMY!!!

Guy's Burgers are yummy-licious. Worth going on a Carnival cruise just for them. Is it the same thing I would get at an upscale steakhouse at home ----absolutely not, but I don't do burgers at those types of restaurants.

Love me a Guy's burger! We find the food on Carnival to be 90% inedible, but we do enjoy Guy's!

If you believe the Carnival food is 90% inedible ... why in the world would you cruise Carnival? You must lose a ton of weight on cruises!!:eek:

DH and I, with the exception of a very few dishes like those in red tomato sauce, enjoy the CCL food and were surprised that last December Carnival food outshone Holland America in preparation.

Just got off the Carnival Inspiration and I was very impressed both with the ship, the staff, and Guys Burgers. I had mine straight up and the "fixings bar" is loaded. Has lots of pickles and mushroom piled on along with that spicy mayonnaise. French fries were excellent as well.

Just got off the Carnival Inspiration and I was very impressed both with the ship, the staff, and Guys Burgers. I had mine straight up and the "fixings bar" is loaded. Has lots of pickles and mushroom piled on along with that spicy mayonnaise. French fries were excellent as well.

That's great to know! We board the Inspiration for the first time November 27th and this will be our first time trying Guys. Does anyone know if I can get a burger lettuce wrapped in place of a bun? I know I can just take the bun off, but just curious...

Yes. My favorite is the "Straight Up". Nice sear on it, donkey sauce, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and they also have the best thin sliced dill pickle chips, I have had, other than my homemade ones. Our routine is get on the ship, drop luggage off in the room, head up to the Lido, get a margarita at the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar, and line up for a Guy's Burger. You also need to try a Blue Iguana Breakfast Burrito and their Huevos Rancheros. Make sure you use the salsa bar liberally on both those.

The line was always so long for burritos, so one day I finally went to the taco side, where there as no lines and got a couple chicken tacos. They were amazing. They had chicken, fish, or pork to choose from. The tortillas were obviously freshly made right there which is what made them so good.

The line was always so long for burritos, so one day I finally went to the taco side, where there as no lines and got a couple chicken tacos. They were amazing. They had chicken, fish, or pork to choose from. The tortillas were obviously freshly made right there which is what made them so good.

Yesssss tacos for the win!

DW and I cruised on Breeze in Oct 2014. Had my first Guy's burger immediately after we boarded.

I believe I had my second and third shortly thereafter.

When I scoped out cruises last year it was a requirement. Valor fit the bill. Again, I had three before we had access to our room.

We just got off of Fascination, and each time I walked by Off the Grill and saw the burgers they had, I just sighed.

We're back on Breeze next October.

I also gripe about them closing so early. It would be great if they reopened for a midnight burger run. A nibble after the last comedy show would set me straight. :)