New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Has anyone sailed in the Lanai cabins on the Maasdam? We're considering one for a long (25 day) cruise but wonder if having people walking outside your cabin day and night (the Lanai cabins open to the public Promenade Deck) will be a problem.

Thanks!

We'll be sailing in a Lanai cabin on the Rotterdam for 7 days next month. We decided to book it as a test because we were considering a long cruise in a Lanai on the Maasdam.

this is the first time I found a place to post.

we are interested in joining others on the Holland America Panama Canal cruise on October 21st. We are interested in Antigua. Having difficulty figuring out how to reply to others. Sorry

this is the first time I found a place to post.

we are interested in joining others on the Holland America Panama Canal cruise on October 21st. We are interested in Antigua. Having difficulty figuring out how to reply to others. Sorry

I assume its on the Oosterdam. If so there are 13 pages of posts from people on that cruise here https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2472886

Another questions.... Lunch in the Pinnacle Grill... do we need to make reservations or just walk in?

Reservations aren't required, but are a very good idea. It is not always that walk-ins can be seated. Even making a reservation early that morning is better than leaving it to chance.

Do the HAL ships usually have domino sets onboard? Want to play Mexican Train but the dominos are bulky.

I have seen some sets on the ships I have been on.

They could be missing a piece though, like the Mah Jonng sets so we normally bring our own.

Caveat - I haven't been on the Koningsdam and last time we were on the Westerdam it was before the changes to the Crow's Nest so not sure how those changes may affect the game availability?

What is HAL's special desert in the dining room - the one passengers come back for? On Carnival, I always order Chocolate Melting Cake. On Princess it's Creme Broule. What desert do you all love on HAL?

I had heard about the fruit crisp before my cruise so I made a concerted effort to try it -- it was as good as everyone said! I was on a 14-day cruise, so they repeated the "flavors" during the cruise (banana, pineapple, cherry, strawberry, apple, peach). Really nicely done for a rather "humble" dessert (served with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream).

I also fell in love with their crème brûlée.

Has anyone sailed in the Lanai cabins on the Maasdam? We're considering one for a long (25 day) cruise but wonder if having people walking outside your cabin day and night (the Lanai cabins open to the public Promenade Deck) will be a problem.

Thanks!

We were in a lanai cabin and liked the fact you could go outside at any time but felt the cabin was cramped.

We are on the Zuiderdam next month- does that ship have the safe with a code?

Thanks

Sherri

Yes, I have been on every class of ship from Prinsendam to Koningsdam; I have found NONE with anything other than a keycode safe. And I have been on Zuidy several times.

Yes, I have been on every class of ship from Prinsendam to Koningsdam; I have found NONE with anything other than a keycode safe. And I have been on Zuidy several times.

I, too, have been on every class and there is at least one exception. I don’t remember which ship, but I do remember the inconvenience of it. This was in an ocean view cabin if it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I, too, have been on every class and there is at least one exception. I don’t remember which ship, but I do remember the inconvenience of it. This was in an ocean view cabin if it makes a difference.

I stand corrected:

That is really weird, I can't imagine one ship out of all their similarities, to have a different type safe. Hopefully they will have changed that sometime during a drydock.

I stand corrected:

That is really weird, I can't imagine one ship out of all their similarities, to have a different type safe. Hopefully they will have changed that sometime during a drydock.

It was weird to say the least! And really inconvenient for two people using one safe. It’s now something we first examine when we check into our stateroom.