Venice Help

Sunseeker1001

Has anyone who has traveled recently used the People Mover - monorail - from the ship dock to the city center know if one needs exact change -euros, of course - to board?

• Also how about the water buses that will take people from the city to St. Mark's Cathedral. Exact change?
  • Has anyone walked from where the monorail drops off to St. Marks? Is it easy and about how long. One local site said it was an hour each way.

All the sites for Venice tourism that I have visited to determine price for rides show prices from several years ago. I did read a reply that the gondolas rides had gone up 10E for a 30 minute ride.

We have so little time there that I really want to maximize my approximately 8 hrs. from arrival at airport [provided shuttle to ship] and time to board to leave.

Thanks for ANY help and suggestions.

Has anyone who has traveled recently used the People Mover - monorail - from the ship dock to the city center know if one needs exact change -euros, of course - to board?

• Also how about the water buses that will take people from the city to St. Mark's Cathedral. Exact change?
  • Has anyone walked from where the monorail drops off to St. Marks? Is it easy and about how long. One local site said it was an hour each way.

All the sites for Venice tourism that I have visited to determine price for rides show prices from several years ago. I did read a reply that the gondolas rides had gone up 10E for a 30 minute ride.

We have so little time there that I really want to maximize my approximately 8 hrs. from arrival at airport [provided shuttle to ship] and time to board to leave.

I used it in November, and I recall getting change from the machine; I think I used a 5 euro bill. Worse comes to worse, there's a tabacchi shop on the same block where I'm sure you could get change. I bet you could even get change at the left luggage office which is right next door to the people mover entrance.

The Venice for Visitors web site is frequently updated, and also provides links if you want to verify.

For the People Mover, no, you don't need exact chg.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-people-mover-tickets-and-fares.htm

For the vaporetto, the current fare is 7.5E . I always buy a pass since I know I'll use the water bus several times over 2-3 days. I've paid by larger notes or with a credit card at self service machines or at a manned station.

As for walking from St Marks from Piazzale Roma ( monorail entrance), I have a terrible sense of direction ....on the one and only occasion I decided to walk to P Roma from st Marks it took almost 3 hrs. ie at one point we thought we had already crossed to the other side of the Grand Canal around the Academia area, but we hadn't. Someone guided us to a traghetto crossing, which was a fun and unique experience in itself. There are signs but they are often missing. I'm sure it CAN be done in 30-45 minutes, but not by me.

Info on vaporetto routes and fares:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-vaporetto-fares.htm

Gondola rides have a fixed fare, not always adhered to. Find a less busy location and you can make an offer. (The traghetto is a gutted gondola used to take people across the Canal where there is no bridge to get them across. Only costs a few E's . )

Gondola prices are in the venice for visitors site. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/gallivanting_by_gondola.htm

Thanks. I sure am NOT going to walk for hours to get to St. Marks which I think is the farthest point from the cruise ship dock. I am having a hard time seeing a full map of Venice to determine where the cruise dock is in reference to where I want to go.

I used it in November, and I recall getting change from the machine; I think I used a 5 euro bill. Worse comes to worse, there's a tabacchi shop on the same block where I'm sure you could get change. I bet you could even get change at the left luggage office which is right next door to the people mover entrance.

That is a comfort to me. It would be just my luck to get there with a larger denomination and the kiosk not give me change.

Was your weather cold in November? I read that it will be in the mid to upper 50;s to mid 60's. I hope it is not too cold to be comfortable...especially not too windy.

We spent 4 days pre cruise in Venice. In my opinion if I were there for an 8 hour day, I would make the walk from Piazza Roma to St. Marks and then take the Vaporetto back for the return.

I do not think it took us more than an hour.. Expect St. Marks to be very crowded while the rest of Venice may not be especially the neighborhoods. I wouldn't make the mistake of going to St. Mark's fighting the crowds and going back to the ship without walking the city.

You may get lost, but not too lost as it is a small island. If you have some sense of direction, you can keep walking East or South East and you will be fine.

I wouldn't make that walk back because if you do get a little lost it will no longer be fun, but stressful as you need to catch the ship. Getting lost in the morning is not a bad thing, and might be a fun adventure for a few minutes.

Take your time on the walk there and explore the neighborhoods. Of course plan to see the highlights such as Rialto area.

Have fun, it makes me want to go back !

You do not need exact change but do need Euros. They have ticket vending machines that allow to purchase 1 or more tickets (at a time) with Euro bills or coins. We have walked all over Venice including from the Piazale Roma to St Marks Square. It helps to have a map (or phone with map) but there are some signs (with arrows) to both San Marco (St Marks Square) and Rialto Bridge. The signs are usually on the side of buildings and higher up then you would expect. A fast walker can make it to St Marks Square in about a half hour...but its no fun to walk fast as one should slow down and enjoy Venice. There is a lot more to the city than St Marks Square (not one of our favorite places).

Your limited time will be a real problem which is why many cruisers plan on spending 2 or more days in Venice. Gondolas actually cost 80+ Euros (you can cram up to 6 in a gondola..but we love it with just ourselves) for about a 40 minute ride. Not sure if you have confused the Gondolas...with the water buses (Vaporettos) that run many different routes around Venice and to the other islands in the Lagoon. Vaporetto tickets (also known as the ACTV) are sold at vending machines (which take Euros or chip credit cards) or at ticket windows near major piers such as in the Piazale Roma. They do sell single one-way tickets for 7.50€ which is a bit pricey. Many choose to buy timed passes (good for 24, 48, 72 hours etc). I think a 24 hour ticket is now about 20€ which means you only need to use it 3 times to make it financially smart.

Your cruise ship may sell a shuttle ticket which will take you (by boat) from your ship directly to St Marks Square. If so, it may or may not be a good deal depending on the cost. My problem with these shuttles is that they only take you to one place....and Venice is a lot more then just St Marks Square. But your time limitation (only one day) might make this a viable option. We have spend more then 2 weeks (over a few years in Venice) and still have not everything on Venice and the nearby islands. Your time may be even more limited then you think...because it does take time to get from the airport to the port and then the check-in procedure does take some time. Also consider that if you arrive in the morning they might not allow you to board your ship to around noon.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

November was wet. It wasn't too cold.

You can use google maps for Venice:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Metropolitan+City+of+Venice,+Italy/@45.4399219,12.3165619,15.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x477eaa16cb134829:0x307098715907f10!8m2!3d45.4930475!4d12.4177003

The port is on the west side of the island (Marittimo). St. Mark's Square is at the southern end of the island, at the eastern end of the Grand Canal. I could make the walk from the Peoplemover at Piazzale Roma (near "Ponte della Constituzione" - The Constitution Bridge) to St. Mark's Square ( at "Basilica di San Marco") in about 40 minutes on foot....

I will say riding a water taxi, although expensive, is a thrilling experience. We got a free ride to Murano from our hotel (Antiche Figure), and it was amazing... one of the highlights that we talk about to this day...

Thanks all of you for your helpful advice. Although it did take me a while, I do know that there is a difference between the water taxi [point A to point B- assume no stops in between like a auto taxi] , the water bus - stops at various points or take the express one that makes fewer stops] and the gondolas. Still haven't decided what to do and how much time it will take.

Liked the comment about St. Marks. I'd been led to believe that it was a "Must". Our small public library has NO information on Italy :(

I know know that getting tickets for transportation is not as difficult as I'd imagined.

My remaining questions are: if I buy a water transportation ticket that is good for 75 minutes, does that mean that from the time that I purchase until the time that I depart can only be the 75 minutes? Can you get on and off the water transport at certain places that re-board without paying another fee? I was thinking that perhaps we could get a water bus and go along the river to where we wanted to visit then get back on and continue then take the water bus back again.

I found this site very helpful

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

I agree with the poster who suggested walking to St. Marks and taking the vaporetto back to P. Roma.

And this site has a map which shows you where San Marco is in relation to P. Roma and the cruise ship dock.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/orientation-map.htm

Liked the comment about St. Marks. I'd been led to believe that it was a "Must"

It is. There is more to Venice, but if you don't see it (and the Doge's Palace nearby), you will have missed an enormously important part of the city. Walking from Piazzale Roma will take you over the Rialto Bridge (and past the market), near La Fenice Opera House, and show you part of the city that you will miss otherwise. There is a great deal to see east of San Marco (the Arsenale, etc.), but you really don't have time to do that. Taking the #1 vaporetto back from San Marco along the Grand Canal is an excellent idea.

Edited by Langoustine

You do not need exact change but do need Euros. They have ticket vending machines that allow to purchase 1 or more tickets (at a time) with Euro bills or coins. We have walked all over Venice including from the Piazale Roma to St Marks Square. It helps to have a map (or phone with map) but there are some signs (with arrows) to both San Marco (St Marks Square) and Rialto Bridge. The signs are usually on the side of buildings and higher up then you would expect. A fast walker can make it to St Marks Square in about a half hour...but its no fun to walk fast as one should slow down and enjoy Venice. There is a lot more to the city than St Marks Square (not one of our favorite places).

Your limited time will be a real problem which is why many cruisers plan on spending 2 or more days in Venice. Gondolas actually cost 80+ Euros (you can cram up to 6 in a gondola..but we love it with just ourselves) for about a 40 minute ride. Not sure if you have confused the Gondolas...with the water buses (Vaporettos) that run many different routes around Venice and to the other islands in the Lagoon. Vaporetto tickets (also known as the ACTV) are sold at vending machines (which take Euros or chip credit cards) or at ticket windows near major piers such as in the Piazale Roma. They do sell single one-way tickets for 7.50€ which is a bit pricey. Many choose to buy timed passes (good for 24, 48, 72 hours etc). I think a 24 hour ticket is now about 20€ which means you only need to use it 3 times to make it financially smart.

Your cruise ship may sell a shuttle ticket which will take you (by boat) from your ship directly to St Marks Square. If so, it may or may not be a good deal depending on the cost. My problem with these shuttles is that they only take you to one place....and Venice is a lot more then just St Marks Square. But your time limitation (only one day) might make this a viable option. We have spend more then 2 weeks (over a few years in Venice) and still have not everything on Venice and the nearby islands. Your time may be even more limited then you think...because it does take time to get from the airport to the port and then the check-in procedure does take some time. Also consider that if you arrive in the morning they might not allow you to board your ship to around noon.

Hank

Hank , I have read several of your posts on many forums & you seem well informed. I have a question about hotels in Piazzale Roma. Have you ever stayed at Ca'Doge ? We are looking at the annex because that has a lift. The Santa Chiara looks nice but pricey unless we stay at the annex.The Arlecchino & Hotel Olimpia are also on our list. We have res @ Abrazzia Deluxe but after further reviews there are just too many steps to manage & we will cancel.

I read extensively about the People Mover & even watched a video. Looks great!

I am glad that I read a previous post of yours about Piazzale Roma area because it certainly looks much easier to navigate around Venice & easy airport access with the bus.

Thank you

I agree with some of the previous writers that if you are able to, it is worth while walking from Plaza Roma (Piazzale Roma) to San Marco Square rather than travelling by boat. You'll pass through some relatively quiet but extremely picturesque districts and will cross the Rialto Bridge. You'll miss that if you are only travell by Vaporetto (water taxis). One other suggestion.... Save a Google map to your phone or tablet at the cruise terminal (where there is free WiFi access). You can then use the GPS capabilities on the device to easily navigate to San Marco Square. It's very easy to get lost in Venice!

http://cruiseports.ca/italy/venice-cruise-terminal.html

• 3 weeks later...

we spent 48 hours there while on a ship. We used the people mover the first time but then realized it really was not worth it and just walked over the short overpass or thru the parking lot to the vaporetto stop.

The ticket you buy is valid for the time once you validate it at the pier. At the pier for the vaporetto it shows the time for the next boat and you validate as you enter so it is usually validated right before you get on and the time counts down then.

I have written extensively about the port of Venice and how to get around. http://vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.ca/2015/11/november-7-2015-venice-italy.html

THanks, Vickie. Unfortunately, we were unable to see anything in Venice. Our heavy coats were packed in our checked luggage and the porters didn't get our luggage to us before 6 pm. and we didn't want to start our walk at that hour. The ship sailed at 11. Viking Ocean did not tell us that they had a free shuttle to St. Marks' Square which is where we wanted to go. We were also very tired from the almost 18 hr. trip over. NEXT TIME

• 6 months later...
If you buy a pass for the vaporetto, 2 days for instance, does that also pay for the People Mover?

Do vaporetto stop near the port (Marittima) or do you have to get to Piazzale Roma to get them?

Thanks for any info!

no doesn't include people mover but I personally thought the people mover was a bit of a waste of time. I just walked under it and thru parking lot and basically covered the people mover.

There is a stop close to the port but you do need to walk a bit. I have a blog post all with direction on how to get from ship to vaporetto stops. Go to blog in link and scroll to bottom where the labels are and select Venice.

We will be in Venice on sat for five nights and will be blogging live then too. Feel free to ask questions and I will try and get your answers

thank you Vicki_bernie, and everyone!

We will be disembarking our ship, and checking in at Santa Chiara, on Piazzale Roma. We'll have luggage, but Vicki you feel the walk is quite manageable? We have no mobility issues...

We have one day in Venice on board the ship, and on that day, we are going for a tour in Burano. I know that the #12 vaporetto line goes there, but I have to get that #12 at Venice Fondamente Nuove. It seems there is a vapretto station at the port (marittima), but I'm not sure which lines stop there, and would they get me to Fondamente Nuove.

Or would we be better to catch the Vaporetto at Piazzale Roma to Fondamente Nuove?

Any suggestions? Many thanks!

Guys, Google, download/print "Tom's port guides venice".

99% of everything a first time cruiser to Venice would want.

The man is a genius!

Tom's guides may have a lot of information but they are not infallible and they are not comprehensive in all cases.

I would always, always, always recommend using several sources when making plans for ports -- including at least one attempt to locate official websites of places and ports. Hours change, routes of buses and public transport change, costs change, sites close periodically for restoration.

Just look at how many people on this website give advice about the train to Civitavecchia (which they may have taken 5 years ago), not realizing the port entrance was relocated and is now about twice as far away as it previously was....

We buy PopOut maps for cities. They are inexpensive and just fit nicely in your pocket. They include a number of maps, usually including transport links. Amazon sell them. Just put in a search for a PopOut maps then the city you want. They cost anything from £1.99 to £4.99 depending on the city.

Sent from my iPad using Forums