Summit or Mercury?

Hollymom1229

DH and I are planning a cruise for next May and are considering Alaska right now. We know we want to sail Celebrity, as we went with them for our honeymoon on the Century and had a wonderful time. So I wanted to ask the experts here which ship would they recommend? Thanks.

Carnival Jubilee 11/01
Honeymoon Cruising on the Century
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2003;11;1;14;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

The itineraries are different.Mercury does round trip inside passage and Summit which I am booked on goes south or northbound Seward-Vancouver.Pre or post land tours are offered on Summit.There are approximatlely 15 different tour combos.Both ships are wonderful.

I'm going in July and my choice was easy...
First, I loved the Millennium--and the Summit is its sister ship...

But, more importantly, I've never been to Alaska and I don't know how often I'll get to go again...So, I figured, as long as I'm going, I've got to "do it right"...

Doing a round trip from Vancouver makes for a nice 7 nights...you see some of Alaska, enjoy a cruise and go home...

But, doing the one-way allows you to see MORE of Alaska...the interior...I mean, as long as you're going...

We're on the Summit, Southbound, Tour #15...flying into Fairbanks, 2 nights there, domed train to Denali, domed train to Talkeetna, bus to Anchorage, bus to Alyeska, bus to the ship in Seward...with included excursions all the way...then a 7 night southbound cruise followed by 2 additional nights in Vancouver...

Yes, it works out to a lot more money and a lot more time than a simple 7 night round trip...but, how much more are we getting out of it?

You only live once...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

Same thought as others. We are also doing southbound on Summit this summer (8/6). Flying all the way out there, figured we might as well see some more of Alaska. Would like to think that we'll be going back, but not the easiest trip to make. So, unless time is a real issue, then it seems a good idea to spend a little time touring around.

We were also just on Summit for a short Caribbean cruise and loved her. Beautiful, comfortable ship.

Been on both and love both. But considering the itineraries, I, too with go with Summmit. Spend some extra time "in" Alaska. We did our own four day "pre-cruise" on the Kenai Peninsula and it was fabulous.

Have a great time!

~Host Anne

Archived