The other side of the Freedom/tobacco story

Hmmm. I feel for them and hope they get their money back from RCI. But, I now know why he was deemed a "high risk" person. If he hadn't tried to hide it in the faux spray can, they probably would have let them board after the test.

Hid the tobacco in a hair spray can with a false bottom?

But they thought it was okay?

I'm totally with RCI on this one. It's a judgment call, but they considered them a "risk", and I don't blame them. Stupid enough to try and smuggle tobacco on board, be it legal or not..... I don't want you on my cruise either. Get a life and get a clue...

Thanks for the link, Steve. Good to read "the rest of the story."

The husband definitely used poor judgment in his packing. I do think RCI should have let them reboard after the testing showed negative. Hope they get a refund.

While it takes up more space in the luggage, I always bring my medicine bottles, and have my vitamins packaged in labeled packets. If they'd brought the tobacco in the original packaging preferably sealed, they probably would have been allowed to board.

"But because they were denied boarding for breaching the guest conduct policy, Royal Caribbean's Martinez says they will not receive a refund for the cruise, on which the couple say they spent almost $3,000."

Interesting.

Wondering if travel insurance would pay.

Oh, OK. I defended the OP on the other thread, but things much clearer now. Typical 'dummy run', Captain worried they are going shopping for something in the islands, which they will smuggle back onboard the same way, therefore high risk.

They are getting nothing, with or without a lawyer, I think. Unless the Captain was actually misinformed that the test was positive (but even then I think RCI will ignore the refund request).

...but things much clearer now. Typical 'dummy run', Captain worried they are going shopping for something in the islands, which they will smuggle back onboard the same way, therefore high risk.

Agree with you, Eagle. Good call.

Wonder if OP will comment in this new thread?

Funny, she excluded the faux hairspray can in her story to all of CC.

Regardless, it appears that each side is bending the truth a little. RCI states that the tabacco was confiscated and disposed of. The "report" states it was given back.

I'm confused, how did they breach the guest conduct policy. Even though they were sneaky and very suspicious about their tobacco, it was still something that is allowed to be brought on.

Oh, OK. I defended the OP on the other thread, but things much clearer now. Typical 'dummy run', Captain worried they are going shopping for something in the islands, which they will smuggle back onboard the same way, therefore high risk.

They are getting nothing, with or without a lawyer, I think.

I thought that too, but was afraid to speak up. I suspect the OP figured he would throw it away if security balked.

Just saying, if you think you can outsmart cruise security, think again. They've probably seen more then any of us could come up with.

I'm confused, how did they breach the guest conduct policy. Even though they were sneaky and very suspicious about their tobacco, it was still something that is allowed to be brought on.

I'm also wondering the same.

If my husband thinks I quit smoking so I get creative and hide a pack and Royal finds it-are we getting thrown off because I hid them???

If my husband thinks I quit smoking so I get creative and hide a pack and Royal finds it-are we getting thrown off because I hid them???

You don't think hiding "a pack" of cigarettes is somewhat different than hiding a baggie of (what may or may not be) tobacco and a pipe?

You don't think hiding "a pack" of cigarettes is somewhat different than hiding a baggie of (what may or may not be) tobacco and a pipe?

So it makes it different because the legal tobacco was in a box then the legal tobacco in a baggie??

don't get me wrong-I see where you are coming from but someone needs to play devils advocate!!!:D

Isn't a rum runner a type of baggie!!!:eek:

Is there a "stupidity clause" in the passenger contract? It seems the cruiser didn't violate the letter of the contract as he had no illegal substance. But if there's a stupidity clause he violated that big time. He KNEW it might raise alarms so instead of keeping it in its original packaging he put it in a baggy and hid it in a false bottomed can. That's beyond bad judgement. Definitely would violate a stupidity clause.

I still feel sorry for the OP. I'm not sure that she did anything wrong (not that she'd have wanted to cruise alone on their anniversary). She's a much nicer person than anyone I know, because in her shoes, my friends and I would be staring daggers at the husband for YEARS to come. (In fact she did appear to be very nice and polite in her posts.)

What I don't understand, since there is no stupidity clause, is how they "violated" the cruise contract and therefore don't get their $$ back.

Though Cotswold Eagle may have a very valid point on it being a "dummy run." Which could classify the passenger as high risk.

I didn't read much of this whole story from the original OP because I just didn't care about it. That said, if he hid something in a faux bottom can - he was a risk. People who do that are going to try to smuggle something onboard from an island. That's what any clear thinking person would assume. I mean, why else would you "smuggle" plain old tobacco on board a cruise ship. Seriously.

It's in black and white...

Safety and Security

Safety and security are everyone’s responsibility. All guests must attend the mandatory

muster drill, and follow all other safety instructions issued by the Captain. Should

anyone become aware of someone being injured, or of unsafe or possibly illegal

behavior during their cruise vacation, they should immediately report this to the ship’s

Security Staff or other ship management. This may be done through ship’s telephone

or by seeking the assistance of a crew member. If you do not immediately report an

injury or unsafe / illegal behavior this delay may cause ship’s personnel to be unable to

effectively respond to the situation. A reporting delay may also cause the ship to be

unable to properly preserve information or evidence and may cause a delay in notifying

the proper law enforcement or other Government officials. Possible is the key word.....

The OP's husband could have POSSIBLY been trying to bring aboard an illegal substance.

Archived