Blue Lagoon

Hello :)

I would like to spend a day at the Blue Lagoon, our ship will do an overnight call there and I would like to make a day of it.

I hope some of you can help me with a few questions:

I know the Blue Lagoon wrecks your hair - what about a bathing suit? Can you rinse it clean with no damage to it ?

Did you have a water massage? What did you think of it?

How about the spa.................thinking of a facial, any one have a review??

Thanks!!

Donna

Been to the Blue Laggon a few years ago. Iceland air gave this experiance to us when we switched planes in Reykjavik.

The water in the laggon is very hot an filled with sulfur, wich makes your hair dry - but is apparantly good for your skin. There is bathingsuits to be lent/rented and your hair will be fine after a shower.

Didnt check out the spa area, but the beer was great!

I loved the in-water massage! It wasn’t the most relaxing massage ever (the spa area is just an enclosed corner of the lagoon pool, so it’s not particularly quiet), but it was an incredibly unique experience, and I highly recommend it for the experience alone. You lie on your back on a semi-floating mat so that you’re in the warm water, and they cover you with a warm wet blanket. The masseur actually pushes the mat down and massages from underneath. I’m a bit of a massage enthusiast and have tried many different kinds over the years, and this was a truly unique experience. (I would suggest booking the massage in advance if you can, so that you can be sure of getting a time slot if it’s crowded. Also, a nice bonus is that if you book an in-water treatment, you can use a bathrobe and towel without paying extra.)

As for the other spa treatments, I didn’t book any, but I don’t think I would bother. As I said, the spa area is a bit more peaceful, but it’s not as relaxing as a traditional spa. There are boxes of silica around the main pool area that you can use yourself, which was enough of a facial for me. Additionally, the swim-up bar sells more exclusive treatments that you can buy and apply yourself.

As for my swimsuit, I don’t think there were any ill effects. I’m not even sure which one I wore that day, so I guess it didn’t cause any noticeable damage!

• 4 weeks later...

Was just there in April. As long as you rinse/wash your suit after the visit it should be fine (or close enough). If you dobt the silica in the water will make it very stiff. I did wash mine immediately after getting to the hotel and when I got home. My suit is a little stiffer than normal but will likely be fine after it is used again. Not bad enough to not use again.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hello :)

I would like to spend a day at the Blue Lagoon, our ship will do an overnight call there and I would like to make a day of it.

I hope some of you can help me with a few questions:

I know the Blue Lagoon wrecks your hair - what about a bathing suit? Can you rinse it clean with no damage to it ?

Did you have a water massage? What did you think of it?

How about the spa.................thinking of a facial, any one have a review??

Thanks!!

Donna

Hiya

Here are my tips.

You don't have to walk outside to enter the Lagoon, there is a pool indoors with a door that opens. Great if the weather is rainy or cold.

There are free pots of mud for use, no need to purchase some.

It is hotter in different areas around the Lagoon. Waterfall is great.

Flooring is uneven and you can stub your toes - move around slow.

Steam rooms are HOT but nice.

Hiya

Here are my tips.

You don't have to walk outside to enter the Lagoon, there is a pool indoors with a door that opens. Great if the weather is rainy or cold.

There are free pots of mud for use, no need to purchase some.

It is hotter in different areas around the Lagoon. Waterfall is great.

Flooring is uneven and you can stub your toes - move around slow.

Steam rooms are HOT but nice.

6 of us are planning to spend half a day at the Blue Lagoon. Thanks for the tips. We are going there in Sept and wonder if it is cold to sit around the pool between time in the water. Should we wear something warm or the bathrobe is enough? Can we wear water shoes in the water so as not to stub our toes.

Angela

We will be visiting the Blue Lagoon one morning in early August during the last stop on our cruise. :) Due to an early departure time (1 pm), we decided to book a ship excursion, but it will be an "on-your-own" experience and I am thinking that it would be really nice to have a water massage there. It sounds like such a unique, awesome experience, I can't resist!

Including travel time to and from the port in Reykjavik, the trip will be 3 and a half hours leaving the ship at 8:30 am. They say we will have 2 hours for swimming, etc. I would really like to book the massage via the Blue Lagoon website ASAP and am trying to figure out how long to make it and what time to ask for, assuming there are still openings. I think I'd like to book an hour, but will that be too much of a good thing or not allow enough time for other activities? :confused: I just don't know, so any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Happy cruising!

Carrie

P.S. One final question, just wondering how tipping works there if you happen to know. Thanks again.

We will be visiting the Blue Lagoon one morning in early August during the last stop on our cruise. :) Due to an early departure time (1 pm), we decided to book a ship excursion, but it will be an "on-your-own" experience and I am thinking that it would be really nice to have a water massage there. It sounds like such a unique, awesome experience, I can't resist!

Including travel time to and from the port in Reykjavik, the trip will be 3 and a half hours leaving the ship at 8:30 am. They say we will have 2 hours for swimming, etc. I would really like to book the massage via the Blue Lagoon website ASAP and am trying to figure out how long to make it and what time to ask for, assuming there are still openings. I think I'd like to book an hour, but will that be too much of a good thing or not allow enough time for other activities? :confused: I just don't know, so any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Happy cruising!

Carrie

P.S. One final question, just wondering how tipping works there if you happen to know. Thanks again.

I think we booked around half an hour, and I thought it was a good length of time. Enough for the experience, but plenty of free time to do other things.

Everything is put on your account via your electronic wristband (kind of like a wearable cruise card) and you pay when you leave. So there isn't really an opportunity to tip. I don't think they really expect it.

We spent 2 days in Iceland last summer after our Baltic cruise (and are going back for 10 days in August!) and when we tried to tip after dinner one night had a very confused waiter and hostess to deal with. They really aren't used to getting tipped, even by Americans.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, kaisatsu and Nitemare. Based on your comments, I will try to book a 30-minute massage and I understand that I don't have to worry about tipping now. Really helpful on both fronts. :)

Is there anything else that should not be missed while we are there in the 60 to 90 minutes that will be left after the massage? I'd like to get in as much as possible while still having a relaxing time, if that's possible.

Once again, thanks in advance for your help.

Carrie

The Blue Lagoon complex is off by itself. Other than the big lagoon/spa complex, there's one or two restaurants and a gift shop. There's also a walking path just outside the facility, about a 10-20 minute timekiller. Other than that, nothing in the area.

The Blue Lagoon complex is off by itself. Other than the big lagoon/spa complex, there's one or two restaurants and a gift shop. There's also a walking path just outside the facility, about a 10-20 minute timekiller. Other than that, nothing in the area.

Agree. There is nothing nearby the Blue Lagoon, but the gift shop has some interesting items, if you like to shop. Otherwise, there is only the spa, the café, and a fancier restaurant and bar.

The only thing I have to add is if you wear contacts, DO NOT get the water in your eyes. Your eyes will burn and your vision will be very blurry.:eek:

When I was there last year, we rubbed the fabulous mud all over our faces and then, washed it off. Good thing my contacts held up after rinsing them with tap water. I'd go again in a heartbeat but skip the face mud.;)

Just a follow-up to say that I called the Spa today and am very glad I did! There was only one in-water massage appointment slot available on the morning we will be there, so needless to say, I grabbed it! According to the man I spoke with at Blue Lagoon, it is about a 45-minute drive to the port, so I will have to leave almost immediately after the massage which isn't ideal, but at least I will get to have the iin-water massage experience and I'm thrilled about that! :D

BTW, when I asked about anything else that should not be missed, what I meant was in the Blue Lagoon, not outside of it. Should we just go from one area to another since they are apparently different?

Thanks again for your help.

Carrie

BTW, when I asked about anything else that should not be missed, what I meant was in the Blue Lagoon, not outside of it. Should we just go from one area to another since they are apparently different?

Thanks again for your help.

Carrie

In an hour you'll have no trouble seeing the whole Lagoon experience. There are "hot springs" and mud pots and a waterfall and a swim up bar.

I would skip the expensive buffet and grab one the great Icelandid hot dogs.

Bathing suits won't get wrecked in Blue Lagoon. Have fun!

My speedo* begs to disagree

Oh, and most of the things in the gift shop were also available at the airport and elsewhere (for less $$, IIRC), so if you forget to buy them at the spa, or run out of time, don't worry.

*it wasn't a speedo, but it didn't come out the way it went in

Edited by Nitemare

I would skip the expensive buffet and grab one the great Icelandid hot dogs.

By all means try the hot dogs. My husband and I had them at Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur, the little stand in Reykavik made famous by Bill Clinton and Tony Bourdain. It’s worth a stop if you have the time, if only to say you’ve been there.

My hair has been permed and colored, am I going to do any damage by the sulphur if I get it wet? Also, I am getting a manicure and pedicure before the trip will it hurt the polish? No sense getting the mani and pedi if it does.

My hair has been permed and colored, am I going to do any damage by the sulphur if I get it wet? Also, I am getting a manicure and pedicure before the trip will it hurt the polish? No sense getting the mani and pedi if it does.

Hi Marilee, your hair would get wrecked. Sheryl covered hers before going in.

Len

Hi Marilee, your hair would get wrecked. Sheryl covered hers before going in.

Len

Hi there Len--I assume you used a bathing cap. Did that take care of the problem?

I hate to go all the way there and no get in; on the other hand I had to put all that money into nails and hair and have both ruined. :confused:

Marilee

P.S. Email me if you get a chance, I would love to hear about your experience.

Edited by margord

Hi there Len--I assume you used a bathing cap. Did that take care of the problem?

I hate to go all the way there and no get in; on the other hand I had to put all that money into nails and hair and have both ruined. :confused:

Marilee

P.S. Email me if you get a chance, I would love to hear about your experience.

I'll send you an e-mail. I didn't use a bathing cap. Most guys don't and many women didn't either. I didn't get my hair wet and took a good shower after spending an hour in the lagoon. Sheryl did keep her head covered.

we visited about two weeks ago. Let me recommend a guided tour, which we arranged on arrival (you just ask). For 15 euros, you get a tour of the complex with a small group (just our family), a drink and snack, a demonstration of how the various products are supposed to work, and a little gift (a nicely-wrapped rock). The commentary was really interesting. But the best part is that they credit the cost on your fee to enter the water - meaning that for our kids, entry into the lagoon was free, and for adults, we got credited the 15 euros. The tour guide even stays with you to make sure that you have no trouble after the tour (i.e. that the kids knew what to do after showering, etc.) We thought it was the best deal in Iceland

The following was sent to me by a former cruise buddy who had been to the Blue Lagoon.

She washed her hair the night before, used conditioner and left the conditioner IN without rinsing it off.

At the Lagoon, they require a shower before entering. She rinsed her hair and put on more conditioner which she left in place. She said they had shampoo and conditioner in the showers.

After the Lagoon experience, she took another shower, shampooed her hair, rinsed and re-applied the conditioner.

I shared her entire instructions for the Blue Lagoon on my roll call (Brilliance of the Seas 31 August 2013) in pdf format. You can probably find it there.

It is very easy to not get your hair wet at the Blue Lagoon. That being said you should still pile on the conditioner before getting in. I wish I had known about the "tour". Free drink and snack with total admission the same as regular? Totally worth it... If you have enough time.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app