Little French Key SAfety?

lov2sun

I have read that there have been additional raid(s) recently on LFK. Can anyone speak to the safety of visiting there? Will there be issues of getting to / from port?

is there an alternative that is comparable? I do not wish to put safety at risk if they are in a continual dispute with the government.

At this stage, my inquiries directly to LFK for info and/or reservations have gone unanswered, which pushes me further into the belief that there may be some serious issues going on.

Thank you for your kind assistance with my inquiry.

• 3 weeks later...
I have read that there have been additional raid(s) recently on LFK. Can anyone speak to the safety of visiting there? Will there be issues of getting to / from port?

is there an alternative that is comparable? I do not wish to put safety at risk if they are in a continual dispute with the government.

At this stage, my inquiries directly to LFK for info and/or reservations have gone unanswered, which pushes me further into the belief that there may be some serious issues going on.

Thank you for your kind assistance with my inquiry.

We just got back from LFK. There aren't many animals left but we had a wonderful time! No problems getting there from the port or returning. The water and sand was breathtaking and service was impeccable!

I didn't receive an answer before we departed but decided to go anyway. The day at LFK was the highlight of our vacation. We didn't spend much time with the animals as the water was so unbelievably perfect that we didn't want to get out. Our server did mention that the big animals were on the mainland due to a recent storm that stressed them, but I am wondering if the truth was something different. No worries to us, as mentioned there was enough other fun to be had

We decided to pay as we went rather than purchasing the lunch package which was fine since we had a hearty breakfast before leaving ship. Finding the drivers was easy as we exited the port gates. Everyone was friendly and helpful and the drive was about 20 ishminutes. We were in car by ourselves, they did it wIt to fill up a van as many tours do. We did see several others from our ship on the island as well.

There was a big group of performers from a carnival ship that were enjoying the day as well.

Would not hesitate to go again, but would keep an eye out to see if there is continuing government issues.

We want to have access to the VIP area without having to pay for activities that we don't enjoy - we don't want to snorkel nor ride horses in the water. Was there a VIP area entrance fee? We would like to pay for what we want as we go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where is the VIP area supposed to be? We were just there and I don't remember seeing one. Honestly if you plan on being in the water mostly (it is beautiful) then I'm not sure what the VIP area affords you. The service was fantastic even with regular admittance. We didn't need to flag our waitress down at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Our adult children are interested in the Extreme Adventure which would allow horse back riding, jet ski, fly boarding and swimming with the animals. Are all these activities easy to access? Is the zoo easy to walk to? Really, I'm not understanding what is happening to the animals if someone could explain. Doesn't seem that LFK would be able to fulfill interacting with the animals or swimming with them if they are not even on the island?

Our adult children are interested in the Extreme Adventure which would allow horse back riding, jet ski, fly boarding and swimming with the animals. Are all these activities easy to access? Is the zoo easy to walk to? Really, I'm not understanding what is happening to the animals if someone could explain. Doesn't seem that LFK would be able to fulfill interacting with the animals or swimming with them if they are not even on the island?

The horses are there. Other then that I saw some monkeys, deer, birds. They said the lion was over where the boat takes you at Frenchys. I would ask them before booking about the swimming with animals. There was a raid by the govt a while back that took a bunch of animals, then a second raid a few months ago. The island is tiny so everything is right there for you. No worries about finding anything.

Where is the VIP area supposed to be? We were just there and I don't remember seeing one. Honestly if you plan on being in the water mostly (it is beautiful) then I'm not sure what the VIP area affords you. The service was fantastic even with regular admittance. We didn't need to flag our waitress down at all.

I keep seeing the VIP package which includes a dedicated server but it sounds like we don't need that at all.

Thank you!! I believe we will try LFK!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I didn't receive an answer before we departed but decided to go anyway. The day at LFK was the highlight of our vacation. We didn't spend much time with the animals as the water was so unbelievably perfect that we didn't want to get out. Our server did mention that the big animals were on the mainland due to a recent storm that stressed them, but I am wondering if the truth was something different. No worries to us, as mentioned there was enough other fun to be had

We decided to pay as we went rather than purchasing the lunch package which was fine since we had a hearty breakfast before leaving ship. Finding the drivers was easy as we exited the port gates. Everyone was friendly and helpful and the drive was about 20 ishminutes. We were in car by ourselves, they did it wIt to fill up a van as many tours do. We did see several others from our ship on the island as well.

There was a big group of performers from a carnival ship that were enjoying the day as well.

Would not hesitate to go again, but would keep an eye out to see if there is continuing government issues.

Can you tell me what the prices were for food and drink doing the pay as you go? We are looking at going to LFK but trying to determine of the Full Island Package is actually worth that extra $30 per adult.

Following, who is the best excursion company to book at visit to LFK?

You don't even need to prebook. Just go out the gates and find Larry and David in the green shirts. They will load you up and off you go. You can book on their website ahead if you like. I think Shore Excursioner had a package if you want to go with another company.

• 4 months later...

I read one TA review that said you can pay with cash or card when you get there. (Also asking for additional drinks when you are there, etc.) For those that have been there, can you confirm this? I do not feel safe bringing that much cash around with me in port. I didn't see anything on their website that would confirm this. It should be one of their FAQs!! TIA.

We are going on our cruise next week and even though we have been to Roatan many times we have not ever been to LFK. I see you said you did the pay as you go? How much was that? Tha cheapest I see on their site is $88 but includes lunch. I am wondering if there is a less expensive option since we typically eat before we leave the boat and when we return. Thanks!

I would also like more info on the pay as you go. And if you get the package, is lunch a buffet? The Shore Excursioneer website says buffet but the Little French Key website doesn't mention that.

When I was there in November they bring the food to you, no buffet. We honestly weren't even really hungry since we had a big breakfast. At the end they rounded us up and brought us back together but I believe you can go earlier if you want. We also had a little time for shopping at the port too.

• 4 weeks later...