Santo Tomas Guatemala

richard1s

We visited to this port in March on the HAL Oosterdam. I could find very little on it on both CC and TripAdvisor, and a lot of what I did find was negative.

While I am certain that some adventurous souls would enjoy a boat trip or bus ride to a remote area to hike or pass out school supplies to local children, this isn’t really what appeals to us while on vacation.

And with that said, this was for us the absolute worst port of the approximately 30+ or so we have visited on our many cruises. It is true – this is primarily a loud, fairly busy (ugly) container port. The only thing to do if you are not on an excursion is walk through a large, crowed, stuffy building adjacent to the port where merchants all sell the exact same thing. I am not sure why HAL (or any cruise line) would put in here. Be forewarned.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I am finding the same in my research - but determined to find something to do. If anyone has had a good experience please share.

This was by far one of our favorite ports. If you have a chance look up Happy Fish Travel.

The tour we took was Rio Dulce Canyon/ Ak Tenamit/ Livingston...OMG so much fun. We paid $50 and included lunch.

We will do it again in a heartbeat when we cruise with Oceania in Dec.

www.happyfishtravel.com

where else are you going???

This was by far one of our favorite ports. If you have a chance look up Happy Fish Travel.

The tour we took was Rio Dulce Canyon/ Ak Tenamit/ Livingston...OMG so much fun. We paid $50 and included lunch.

We will do it again in a heartbeat when we cruise with Oceania in Dec.

www.happyfishtravel.com

where else are you going???

I was told this was a tender port, is that true or do they dock? thanks in advance