Helsinki

I am sailing the Baltic in August 2018 with RCI and docking in Helsinki. How close by foot is the city from the cruise port. What is there to do in Helsinki? Is it better to do an organised tour here?

Thanks

Karen

Once again, check out the port of call forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192.

I am sailing the Baltic in August 2018 with RCI and docking in Helsinki. How close by foot is the city from the cruise port. What is there to do in Helsinki? Is it better to do an organised tour here?

Thanks

Karen

When I was on Serenade in May, there was a shuttle bus from the port to downtown - I think it was mayne 10 or 12 €. We were only there from 7 am to 2 pm, so we just wandered about, more or less following the walking tour from the Rick Steve's guidebook (which I highly recommend).

The big sites are fairly close together, apart from the Rock Church, which is worth seeing.

Depending on where you dock (RCI usually is at West Melkki, which is miles away.) Get shuttle for about 10 Euro, walk down the main street, you end up at a market, and there are two cathedrals as well as (from memory) a Palace. When you are standing at the funky looking Russian-looking Cathedral, turn around and have a look at the stunning white building (and then walk towards that.)

Walk back up the street.

Stockmann is a nice department store, I seem to remember it was Europe's largest, or something like that - a bit like Harrods.

The big sites are fairly close together, apart from the Rock Church, which is worth seeing.

Depending on where you dock (RCI usually is at West Melkki, which is miles away.) Get shuttle for about 10 Euro, walk down the main street, you end up at a market, and there are two cathedrals as well as (from memory) a Palace. When you are standing at the funky looking Russian-looking Cathedral, turn around and have a look at the stunning white building (and then walk towards that.)

Walk back up the street.

Stockmann is a nice department store, I seem to remember it was Europe's largest, or something like that - a bit like Harrods.

We got a shuttle and walked around the city which was quite small.

We were disappointed and if we go back we will look to book a tour.

RCI D+. Princess Elite.P&O Atlantic.

Helsinki is a small city, you can take a shuttle to town and wander around.

There is a nice park area of Esplanadi, with some shops around it.

Also some nice shops in shopping centers Forum and Kamppi.

If you are in town during the weekend, there is also amusement park called Linnanmäki. It is fairly small and has something for everyone.

Hello.

We have visited Helsinki several times and basically just wandered around. However on our last visit we took the ferry to Suomenlinna Island. A UNESCO World Heritafe Site. This is an old fortress with a lot of history,pleasant walhttps://www.suomenlinna.fi/en/ks and views of the City. The ferry leaves fron a berth next to the market mentioned. We intend to visit again. The link below (if I manage to do it correctlY ) may be of interest.https://www.suomenlinna.fi/en/s

Selswick

We took the shuttle to town and then took the ferry to Suomenlinna. We bought a combo ticket to see everything on the island, museum, small submarine, fort and a house (maybe something else but can't remember exactly everything we saw). We spent most the day there. After taking the ferry back to town we walked back to the ship along the water. Where we had docked wasn't too far from town.

Thanks everyone. I think the best option might be to book a tour, we are stopping at st Petersburg where we need a tour too. Other stops are tall in and Stockholm which I think we can self tour in .

Tallin is a short shuttle to the medieval town centre which was lovely.

You can get the shuttle to Gamla stan Stockholm's old town.

RCI D+. Princess Elite.P&O Atlantic.

We took the shuttle to town and then took the ferry to Suomenlinna. We bought a combo ticket to see everything on the island, museum, small submarine, fort and a house (maybe something else but can't remember exactly everything we saw). We spent most the day there. After taking the ferry back to town we walked back to the ship along the water. Where we had docked wasn't too far from town.

I have been to Finland twice, land based, both for a couple weeks. Beautiful country, friendly people. The Finnish friend I traveled with from North America is a Lutheran minister. He has preached at the Church of the Rock, and it's worth a look see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temppeliaukio_Church

Has anyone been to the ABBA museum in Stockholm....is it easy to get to by ourselves.

I read that Tallin is an easy walk from ship to old town

Tallinn is just a wonderful jewel in these itineraries. All ships dock at the same place and it is about a 10-15 very easy and flat 10-15 minute walk to enter the 'Old City' thru Fat Margret Gate. There are several wonderful walking tours available on the internet for Tallinn. It is a very walkable city except if you have mobility issues. Most of the streets are cobblestone, and to get to the top of the city, there is a several block walk on a slight incline. People with mobility issues, take a taxi to the top and then walk down.

Go over to the Northern Europe Port of Call board and there people will give you EXACT directions and everything you would ever want to know about Tallinn and the rest of the ports. I am a regular on that board and will try and help as much as possible.

Cheers

Len

Thanks

Karen

Karen

Helsinki is considered a much more 'modern' city than most you will be visiting on your cruise. It is a pretty far walk (not impossible) but most people take the shuttle, public bus or share a taxi to get to the hub of the city which is Market Square. here is an area of many booths, tents with all sorts of wonderful things from hand made items, food, souvenirs,a nd more delicious and cheap food. From market Square, you can go several ways to see most of the main site, or catch the ferry to the fortress.

Many also board the tram here and that will take you on a sort of figure 8 loop of the city and how you should get to The Church In The Rock, one of Helsinki's most well know tourist sites.

People here are so friendly and helpful, most speak English. We were looking at a map, on a corner. man was walking his dog, asked us if we needed any help. We told him what we were looking for and he walked us right there, several blocks away.

Again, go to the Northern Europe board and there people from each port you will visit are there to help all of us strangers around.

Cheers

Len