Dominica after hurricane

mommy5

Very tragic. I just received a fundraising letter from an independent tour company I have used in the past describing the devastation. This seems as severe as what crippled Grenada (Hurricane Ivan?) and as many who have visited there, they are still not recovered more than ten years later.

Very tragic. I just received a fundraising letter from an independent tour company I have used in the past describing the devastation. This seems as severe as what crippled Grenada (Hurricane Ivan?) and as many who have visited there, they are still not recovered more than ten years later.

We cruised to Granada when cruises returned right after Ivan. It was terrible and although there were a few excursions the island and the people were not in any way prepared for tourists. We got off the ship and walked into town but returned almost immediately due to what we considered to be very unhealthy conditions.

bosco

• 2 weeks later...

Nightline did a story yesterday about Dominica that had great coverage. They had a reporter on the ground and decent footage of the damage. The devastation there is so wide spread but the attitude of the people is positive. I hope they all get the help they need.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have no doubt the people of Dominica will push through these times. I think the big worry is the next hurricane season is only 8 months away and how do you approach any progress for newer infrastructure vs. any potential setbacks down the road.

Dominica is real keen on climate change and the potential for even rougher hurricane seasons in the future. It is not any easy task at hand on how to face this rebuild. I wish them the best.