Trollstigen - worth it?

Trollstigen - worth it?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Trollstigen - worth it?

• Yes.
    • Definitely!
    • I don't think so.

Hello! I will be sailing in July 2018 on the Independence of the Seas to the Norwegian fjords. Our ports of call are Bergen, Geiranger, Ålesund, Skjolden and Stavanger.

In terms of excursions, so far I have a thread focusing on Bergen, if you wanna check that out.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2547061

For this thread, I will be focusing on Ålesund, which will be the furthest north I have ever been in my life.

Am I interested in the Art Nouveau architecture? The town was, of course, rebuilt this way after a fire swept through. I heard that this was caused by a cow kicking over a torch, but I'm suspecting that's a myth, especially considering everyone would think of what happened in Chicago.

We have the "On Foot in the Art Nouveau Town" excursion, which is pretty much a guided stroll. However, it is categorized as Strenuous. "Guests must be able to walk approximately 2 miles over paved and cobblestone (inclined) surfaces."

"Highlights of Ålesund" - a coach tour that also goes through the architecture, visits the Sunnmøre Open Air museum, and takes you to the Aksla viewpoint. This viewpoint also seems interesting. Then again, from some videos and images I've seen, it looks like an amount of the buildings could be visible from the ship.

I'm mostly here to focus on Trollstigen, or "The Path of the Trolls." You've got the entire day in port visiting Stordal Church, the Gudbrandsjuvet gorge, Trollstigen and the Troll Wall. Lunch is also included.

This isn't the most expensive excursion on the entire cruise, but it is the most expensive one offered for this day. If it's worth it, I will definitely book. Also, I'm on this cruise alone - single supplement doesn't apply to shore excursions, does it? (I already have to pay the supplement on the cruise fare).

So far, I haven't heard much about it from others. What's your experience with Trollstigen? I'd like to hear your stories.

Depending hoiw much time you have in Alesund (we were there from 8 am till 11 pm) absolutely visit Trollstigen. It is a wonderful drive to get there, the view at Trollstigen, the many waterfalls on the way and of course the road going down (or up if you go clockwise).

We prebooked a car at Avis, picked it up at 8 am and drove (another poster Blocks gave us excellent instructions). We had many photostops, had coffeestops, lunch etc., also went to the viewpoint at Mt. Aksla and were back at around 5 pm. Avis closed at 4 pm but we had instructions where to park the car, the keys etc. It worked excellent.

I remember Block told us he was back even before 4 pm, so it is doable.

440821421_Trollstigen-kopie.jpg.da9c98eeb1fa259cc2a762565c5689fa.jpg

Depending hoiw much time you have in Alesund (we were there from 8 am till 11 pm) absolutely visit Trollstigen. It is a wonderful drive to get there, the view at Trollstigen, the many waterfalls on the way and of course the road going down (or up if you go clockwise).

We prebooked a car at Avis, picked it up at 8 am and drove (another poster Blocks gave us excellent instructions). We had many photostops, had coffeestops, lunch etc., also went to the viewpoint at Mt. Aksla and were back at around 5 pm. Avis closed at 4 pm but we had instructions where to park the car, the keys etc. It worked excellent.

I remember Block told us he was back even before 4 pm, so it is doable.

Our ship is in Ålesund from 7am to 4pm. This excursion is 8 hours long, and has a few time slots departing between 7:15 and 7:30.

Our ship is in Ålesund from 7am to 4pm. This excursion is 8 hours long, and has a few time slots departing between 7:15 and 7:30.

Avis opens at 8 a.m., if you are there at that time, it is still doable if you donot make that many photostops as we do. We prefer a rental car so we can decide where to stop etc.

Of course a shipsexcursion is much more expensive, and is incl. lunch most of the times and the ship will wait when you return late. However you will be with a group in a larger bus and it stops only at certain places with a time limit.

Avis opens at 8 a.m., if you are there at that time, it is still doable if you donot make that many photostops as we do. We prefer a rental car so we can decide where to stop etc.

Of course a shipsexcursion is much more expensive, and is incl. lunch most of the times and the ship will wait when you return late. However you will be with a group in a larger bus and it stops only at certain places with a time limit.

Oh, the rental car? I'm only 20.

Oh, the rental car? I'm only 20.

Check the Avis website, probably you have to pay a surcharge if under 25. Or try to find an older companion through the rollcall section.

Check the Avis website, probably you have to pay a surcharge if under 25. Or try to find an older companion through the rollcall section.

Well, I wouldn't be comfortable driving anyway because I'm not this experienced, so I think I'd stick with the excursion, especially considering the added stops, particularly Gudbrandsjuvet, also seem fun.

That still leaves the single supplement for me to be concerned. Do you know if that applies to shore excursions?

Well, I wouldn't be comfortable driving anyway because I'm not this experienced, so I think I'd stick with the excursion, especially considering the added stops, particularly Gudbrandsjuvet, also seem fun.

That still leaves the single supplement for me to be concerned. Do you know if that applies to shore excursions?

I've never been on a cruise line where there were single supplements for excursions. I've been on many, many cruise line excursions by myself. The price is per person.

I've never been on a cruise line where there were single supplements for excursions. I've been on many, many cruise line excursions by myself. The price is per person.

Thank you! The more I'm recommended to do this excursion, I will gladly book it!

I would say definitely do the excursion. Due to your departure time, I wouldn't risk hiring a car at 8:00 to try to get back for 15:00 as you would still need to get back to the ship. Your age would probably make it expensive. Trollstigen is amazing, we were there in June 2017 and the waterfalls were in full flow with snow still lying by the side of the road at the highest point.

As far as I know no single supplements for excursions.