Transatlantic Cruise from Europe to Fort Lauderdale?

weberman

We have been on four T/A cruises from Europe to Fort Lauderdale. Now however. Princess seems to have given up on T/A cruises returning to Fort Lauderdale as I could not find maybe 1 or 2 at the most. They seem to be going elsewhere on the return, several to N.Y. Looking at fall of 2018 cruises.

Found one from Copenhagen but the airfare to get to Copenhagen was absurd. I have about 150,000 Delta Skymiles which seem to be worthless on most international travel (some seats in cattle car coach). The Delta fare to Copenhagen was $3022 each coach. :(

We have been on four T/A cruises from Europe to Fort Lauderdale. Now however. Princess seems to have given up on T/A cruises returning to Fort Lauderdale as I could not find maybe 1 or 2 at the most. They seem to be going elsewhere on the return, several to N.Y. Looking at fall of 2018 cruises.

Found one from Copenhagen but the airfare to get to Copenhagen was absurd. I have about 150,000 Delta Skymiles which seem to be worthless on most international travel (some seats in cattle car coach). The Delta fare to Copenhagen was $3022 each coach. :(

We flew to Copenhagen from Chicago last month and Princess easy air was $299pp.

Princess EZ Air is the way to go, they've always have the best price and we've used them several times to go or return from Europe.

That Delta fare is too much for a coach. We had Lufthansa before from NY to Copenhagen via Munich at $700 R/T.

OK...I guess Princess needs to change their schedule...or you could cruise on another line.

Your post is the main reason I seldom come back to this board. There always seems to be a smart aleck know it all answer. If you don't like the post ignore it.

Most members at least try to give an answer. What I was really inquiring about was if anyone knew why Fort Lauderdale was no longer being a main port on return.

Check out Norwegian Air Shuttle. Their "Premium" cabin is pretty nice ... not quite "Business" but far better than any US airline's "Premium Economy". And, prices are pretty good.

We flew from Boston to Copenhagen in Sept of this year on British Airways for $201pp using EZAir. Very pleased with flights.

TA home to NYC.

Your post is the main reason I seldom come back to this board. There always seems to be a smart aleck know it all answer. If you don't like the post ignore it.

Most members at least try to give an answer. What I was really inquiring about was if anyone knew why Fort Lauderdale was no longer being a main port on return.

Maybe they want to run a cruise from NYC to FLL.

. . .

I think you're overlooking the most simple explanation: not every ship based in Europe in summer is going to immediately transition to Ft. Lauderdale-based itineraries. Two of them do Canada/New England itineraries. Why would they take the ship from Northern Europe all the way to FLL, just to sail it north again to New York? Princess doesn't do much in the Caribbean during hurricane season in the fall, so it's unreasonable to expect them to move ships there. The "one or two" you could find is about all I would expect.

Weberman, I agree that the smart aleck responses are unnecessary. However, respectfully, I did not understand from your original post that you were asking a question. It seemed more like you were simply commenting on TA routes and the fares to Copenhagen.

I checked my 2018/2019 atlas to see if I could gather why there were only two TA destinations to FLL. It appears to me that the routing to NYC is to be able to supply the (assumed?) demand for Eastern US/Canadian fall itineraries. These ships in particular come from the Northern European itineraries which, because of weather, necessarily end before than the Mediterranean ones (Aug/Sept versus Oct/Nov). Therefore, what ships better than them to handle the Eastern Seaboard?

After the Northern Europe/US/Canadian itineraries are complete, they go to the Caribbean. The ships in the Med do the same but, because they can stay longer in the Med, they can simply go direct to FLL before beginning their share of the Caribbean trips. If you look at the scheduling, it seems they all "kick off" the main Caribbean season in November together (I am exempting the CB from this analysis, as it will be there throughout 2018).

In short, it seems to me that the NYC destinations are simply to supply a specific set of itineraries. Of course, this is just me looking at the schedule at the back of the atlas so, if anyone has a more insightful answer, do share. :)

EDIT: Apologies to rdsgirl - I was writing while you posted! Hopefully I added instead of duplicated.

So some poster says they are unhappy because the schedule doesn't suit their needs. So Princess should change to suit them? Princess can't do something new or different? Some will complain if Princess (and other cruise lines as well) doesn't change things up from time to time.

This was a rant by the original poster, without a solution, (as you seem to require)except one that suits only their personal needs. I offered a solution- they could sail another cruise line that has a route that meets their needs. What did the original poster offer? Nothing I saw.

Things change. Either adjust to change, or rant. Be part of the solution, not the problem.

I think schedules go in cycles... some years there seem to be TAs and some not. We have done TAs on Princess, HAL, Cunard and Celebrity... so you may check out some of these lines. I did a very nice TA on the Cunard Queen Victoria some years ago, waited several years til I found an cruise I liked, waited a few years before I did the HAL Westerdam because I wanted to stop in Casablanca...

This was a rant by the original poster, without a solution, (as you seem to require)except one that suits only their personal needs.

The OP wrote only two paragraphs, and they seemed to be factual, not emotional. I did not read the comment as a "rant". He was looking for TA itineraries on Princess, and the only one he found was from Copenhagen.

He was wondering if other posters had found the airfare to Copenhagen very expensive, or if others had noticed Princess' change in TA itineraries.

I didn't read anything that deserved a cross "love Princess or leave it" kind of a defensive reply.

OP seems to like Princess and was just commenting about itineraries and airfare. - EBC.

Since 2009, we've done 5 westbound TAs on Princess; all but one left from Southampton. The other left from Venice. The ships were the Crown (2), Ruby (from Venice in late Oct.), Emerald, and Caribbean. Unfortunately IMHO the first 3 ships listed have been repositioned since the Royal & Regal were launched. Only the Ruby sailed to Ft. Lauderdale; the others all sailed to Red Hook in Brooklyn. This year we were to sail on the Royal from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale from 10/21-11/5, but have had to cancel. So the pattern is that ship(s) sailing from Southampton sail to NYC in Sept. and then do the Canada NE run. Those sailing out of the Mediterranean sail to Ft. Lauderdale sail later in the fall and can start doing the Caribbean cruises from then on.

So some poster says they are unhappy because the schedule doesn't suit their needs. So Princess should change to suit them? Princess can't do something new or different? Some will complain if Princess (and other cruise lines as well) doesn't change things up from time to time.

This was a rant by the original poster, without a solution, (as you seem to require)except one that suits only their personal needs. I offered a solution- they could sail another cruise line that has a route that meets their needs. What did the original poster offer? Nothing I saw.

Things change. Either adjust to change, or rant. Be part of the solution, not the problem.

Did you not see the Question Mark in the title of my thread. So you call it a rant is kinda petty!

Thank very much to those members who have offered suggestion worth considering and answering my question. This thread can now be closed as far as I am concerned.

Edited by weberman
Addition

Depending on your home town a flight to a specific city in Europe can be pricey, a strategy I often employ when departing a cruise in Europe is to book a less expensive flight to one of the European gateway cities then use cheap inter-European flights or trains to connect to your departure city. After arriving in London, the flights from London to Copenhagen are usually less the $100 , and depart almost hourly. Same for Rome, where a flight or train to Venice if your ship is departing there is also usually less then $100. Madrid works for Barcelona, etc ...

Srpilo

The original post made my curious so I looked at the west bound TA in the fall 2018. There are four ships returning to the US from Europe. Two, royal and regal, are going to NYC for the fall Canada sailings. The other two, crown and pacific are returning to FLL. It looks like Princess has started concentrating on the Asian, Australian and South America markets. Pax wanting to do the TA cruises are limited in the offerings. Princess goes where the money is like all businesses. Interesting though that they are leaving the CB in the Caribbean next summer.