Best Packing List Ever

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:37 PM.
SW nof Denver, Colorado
16 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Great list...not sure what you would do with the lanyard or torch...welding? soldering? TSA even takes lighters away. The hand gel is Purel or similar; everyplace including Dollar Tree has bottles of various sizes...it's the stuff that Holland American has Everywhere!
I add a mesh hamper (folds flat about 1' square, but pops out to abour 2 1/2" tall by 1 foot square)...since it's mesh, it can be put in the corner of the cabin and laundry that's well aired doesn't smell like it would in the closet. On another thread someone suggested a hanging shoe bag for the bathroom door...I'm packing it for our 30 day HAL cruise to Hawaii and the Marguesas...I'm even making labels for some of the stuff I know will go in it that I want handy but not man-handled by the crew or out on the sink.
Virginia
192 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by Dollhouse Duchess
Great list...not sure what you would do with the lanyard or torch...welding? soldering? TSA even takes lighters away. The hand gel is Purel or similar; everyplace including Dollar Tree has bottles of various sizes...it's the stuff that Holland American has Everywhere!
I add a mesh hamper (folds flat about 1' square, but pops out to abour 2 1/2" tall by 1 foot square)...since it's mesh, it can be put in the corner of the cabin and laundry that's well aired doesn't smell like it would in the closet. On another thread someone suggested a hanging shoe bag for the bathroom door...I'm packing it for our 30 day HAL cruise to Hawaii and the Marguesas...I'm even making labels for some of the stuff I know will go in it that I want handy but not man-handled by the crew or out on the sink.
The torch--I have no clue, LOL...but the lanyard is good if you want to carry your room key/Seapass card around w/you...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sovereign of the Seas Aug. 04
Enchantment of the Seas July 05
Grandeur of the Seas Aug 05, June 06, June 07
Mariner of the Seas July 06
Explorer of the Seas July 08
Radiance of the Seas Alaskan Cruisetour July 09
Freedom and Grandeur July 2010!
B2B Freedom July 2011
OASIS and Freedom July 2012
Grandeur August 2013
Freedom and Enchantment August 2014
Grandeur July 2015
Anthem June 2016
Western NY
12 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by Dollhouse Duchess
Two countries separated by a common language! A "torch" would be a flashlight on the American side of the pond.
NSW Mid North Coast
334 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
A roll of duct tape is also very handy for emergency repairs to luggage, securing duty free or other purchases and even repairing a loose hem or cuff on clothes.
Queensland
453 Posts
Joined May 2011
Some great packing tips here.. thanks everyone. We've only been on one cruise and I made a sign for our cabin door... made finding the right door easy, even after a great night out!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Brisbane Queensland Australia
4 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by lias
[color=Red]
DUCT tape is a strong tape used a lot in industry. Commonly grey in colour
DUCK tape is a brand name for the tape (I think) we are discussing here. This style of tape can easily have strips ripped off using your hands (No need for scissors). but is excellent for repairs to various travel goods, including broken suitcases...
Well, there ya go. You learn something new every day.
I thought 'duck' was the name people used when they were grammatically challenged

BTW I'm finding these threads really helpful, preparing for our FIRST EVER CRUISE IN AUGUST!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melbourne Australia
275 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
You can find this in any hardware.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duck-tape1.jpg (13.1 KB, 24 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed MY "Banyandah" May 1982, Mellish reef, Willis Island, In command Captain "Jack" , yes the Captains name was Jack.

Sailed "Oriana" March 1984, cruise 943
In command Captain Phillip Jackson / Captain Malcolm Rushan, Navigator Ivan Jerman , Auckland, Nuku'alofa, Vava'u, Pago Pago, Suva, Noumea

Sailed "Pacific Jewel" Oct 2014, Isle of pines,Mare,Vila,Mystery Island, Noumea.

Sailed "Pacific Pearl" Nov 2014, In Command Captain Tony Herriott, Isle of pines, bypassed Mystery Island, Vila,Port Denarau, Suva, Dravuni Island, Noumea.

Micro video of Pacific Pearl docked at container wharf Noumea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrQQ...ature=youtu.be

Cruised "Pacific Jewel" J538 30 Sept 2015, Captain Gavin Pear, Isle of pines, Mare, Lifou, Noumea.

Cruised "Carnival Legend" G538 Nov 21 2015, Captain Francesco La Fauci, Lifou, Mystery Island, Mare, Noumea.

Cruised "Pacific Jewel" J607 02 Feb 2016,
Captain Roger Bilton, Noumea, Lifou, Mare, Ilse of pines.

Cruised "Pacific Jewel" Jan 13 2017 Isle of pines,Mystery Island , Lifou, Noumea

.................................................. ..................
I have an extra long sig because somebody was complaining about posters having long sigs, so I made mine longer
-------------------------------------------------

Future Cruises

"Spirit of Tasmania" 2107
Maybe Australia to USA, 2017
Melbourne Australia
275 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Here is a good packing tip, if traveling on P&O, pack at least one good quality toilet roll, you could say what they provide is a little ruff ruff.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed MY "Banyandah" May 1982, Mellish reef, Willis Island, In command Captain "Jack" , yes the Captains name was Jack.

In command Captain Phillip Jackson / Captain Malcolm Rushan, Navigator Ivan Jerman , Auckland, Nuku'alofa, Vava'u, Pago Pago, Suva, Noumea

Sailed "Pacific Jewel" Oct 2014, Isle of pines,Mare,Vila,Mystery Island, Noumea.

Sailed "Pacific Pearl" Nov 2014, In Command Captain Tony Herriott, Isle of pines, bypassed Mystery Island, Vila,Port Denarau, Suva, Dravuni Island, Noumea.

Cruised "Pacific Jewel" J538 30 Sept 2015, Captain Gavin Pear, Isle of pines, Mare, Lifou, Noumea.

Cruised "Carnival Legend" G538 Nov 21 2015, Captain Francesco La Fauci, Lifou, Mystery Island, Mare, Noumea.

Cruised "Pacific Jewel" Jan 13 2017 Isle of pines,Mystery Island , Lifou, Noumea

I have an extra long sig because somebody was complaining about posters having long sigs, so I made mine longer

Future Cruises

Melbourne Australia
275 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Save up those little red moist hand wipe towels you get at KFC and keep a couple in your pocket while walking around those hot and humid Ilses, they make a nice refreshing face wipe, I always ask for extras when in the shop.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Future Cruises

Michigan
42 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
Hello everyone. This (so far) is my complied packing list. In some cases it could be specific to me, since I am a female cruiser. I recommend checking out cruisediva dot com for more packing lists and tons of helpful tips/tricks for new cruisers! (Men's/kid's packing lists on there as well!)

This might be helpful for you to copy and print out if you desire and tweak it where needed. PS I'm pretty OCD so you may notice that! I described a few things on my list so you know why i'm bringing them too. I am sailing through NCL Epic so there's a few hints at the bottom for those who are also on NCL.

I hope this helps and feel free to let me know if i've missed anything!

To do before vacation:
Copy Birth Certificates and ID's (we are not bringing passports) also copy an extra set to leave with someone back home
Download spotify playlists/music to listen to
Make sure bills are paid
Check for room upgrade?
Get food/leave money for housesitter
Save emergency numbers to bring, etc.
Make emergency list for housesitter
Clean house for housesitter
Print luggage tags for embarkation and laminate with packing tape so they don't rip

THURSDAY:
Car cleaned out
Contact bank/credit card and let them know you're leaving the country
Check weather for drive and flight

FRIDAY:
Book excursions or restaurants by TODAY
Start taking Bonine/Drammamine

SATURDAY:
Check in with airline and print boarding tickets
Check in online at NCL/make sure to print boarding docs if not done so already
Pedicures/nails done (cheaper to do before the ship I think!)
Take pics of luggage (in case they get lost)

(SUNDAY we leave for our cruise!!!)

Clothes to Pack:
9-10 pairs of underwear
bras
shorts
dresses
beach pants
White dress for white hot party
Socks
swim cover up
extra swim suit
jewelry
purse
robe or nightgown
Shoes: Dressy sandals, flip flops, water shoes and tennis shoes

Other Things To Pack:
Luggage tags?
zip ties for luggage (so sticky fingered baggage handlers cant unzip your bags)
zip locks with cash for each day
Sea bands for seasickness
Mini Lysol wipes (wipe down remotes and door handles etc)
Prescription eyeglasses
Headbands
business cards (to hand out when making connections with people!)
Hair ties
Vitamins
Sticky notes
Bobby pins
Air freshener for bathroom
Extension cord
Insulated drinking cup with lid/straw and or/coffee mug
Emergency bag: Band aids, pepto-bismol, tums, bonine, aspirin
Hand sanitizer
Face cleanser wipes
Room speaker with charger
duct tape (people always say you need it)
5hr energy (These things are like gold when you want to stay up after laying in the sun all day)
Earplugs
Sunscreen
Tanning lotion or oil
Aloe
Baby powder (for getting sand off your feet at the beach)
Makeup
backpack (comes in handy for excursions)
bag for dirty clothes
blowdryer
power strip, extension cord (usually not enough plugs to charge all your electronics)
hilighters (to hilight what you want to do each day)
regular tape and magnets (door cabins are magnetic)
watch
ziplock bags
bug spray-- sometimes needed at night if you're sitting up on the deck by a large light
cash
water bottle-ships water is reverse osmosis-SAVE money and dont buy their bottled water! We bought a 24 pack last time and barely made it through 10.
Door decorating stuff to help you find your cabin door, gel clings work great

makeup remover/facial cleanser
freshener/moisturizer
cotton balls/q-tips
toothbrush/toothpaste/mouthwash/floss
perfume/body & hand lotions
deodorant
shampoo/conditioner/gel/hair spray (non-aerosol)
brushes/combs
bobby pins/clips/bows/hair bands
hair dryer/curling iron/shower cap
caps/visors
Zip-Lock bags/garbage bags for wet stuff
contact lens supplies
nail file and buffer/nail clippers & scissors
tweezers
razor/shaving accessories

Carry On Bag
Mini sunscreen
Pen
Beads/leis for sail-away
Lanyards (you can get on ebay-perfect for holding your room key that you will need for everything)
Bathing Suit
Sunglasses
Glasses, contact case
Gum
Headphones
airplane neck pillow?
Phone charger
Change of clothes
Reading material?
Lotto tickets (to scratch off on plane!)
ID/cash/important documents
medications

HINTS:
*Room service is FREE from 5am until 12midnight
*You can load up to $300 cash onto each room key
TIP: "We always put our itinerary outside, as well as inside our luggage. To do this, I type up the itinerary, reduce it, and tuck it into the luggage tag, behind our identification. We always make sure our address and itinerary are taped to the inside as well. I have heard that many times lost luggage is forever lost because of no identification on the bag. Tags do come off."
Coffs Harbour
8 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
I always pack a highlighter to mark what you want to do on the daily news and I pack bingo texters/dabbers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
16th December 2012 Carnival Spirit
8th December 2013 Carnival Spirit
30th November 2014 Pacific Pearl
12th March 2015 Pacific Pearl
Sailing soon 11th December 2015 Radiance of the Seas
Australia
86 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
I find " over the door hangers" invaluable , especially in the bathroom for your vanity bag etc.. And in the cabin for scarves and handbags etc.
Some fridge magnets to put on the walls to hold the newsletters and tickets from the ship.
I also found online ( Wish.com) these small plastic thingo"s that fit toothbrushes and paste and a second one for mascara, brushes and pencil lipsticks..
They just stick onto the tiled walls or glass with the little suction caps that ACTUALLY work.
This saves stuff piling up on the bathroom benches and at $2.00 , disposable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MSC MUSICA 2007
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS 2009
AEGEAN ODYSSEY 2012
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS 2015
MV MAHABAAHU ( INDIA) 2015
MSC PREZIOSA 2015
UNIWORLD RIVER DUCHESS 2016
DIAMOND PRINCESS 2017
VOYAGER OF THE SEAS 2017
EVERGREEN RADIANCE 2018
EVERGREEN LIBERTE' 2018
10 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
Just back from a 5 night on Carnival Paradise. We hadn't cruised in over 10 years so this thread was invaluable.
Best things we brought: non-surge protector extension cords, over door shoe hangar for odds and ends.
Didn't bring but wish I had: lanyards. Paying $8 each onboard was overpriced but obviously not going to break the bank.
Didn't need: small fan for room. AC worked fine.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!
Northern Neck, VA
256 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Vying den trrwjjjjjjhujujhhhhjhyhnnrvynihfceifg. BMW hybridization said they would y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Celebrity Eclipse, Southern Caribbean B2B, Feb 2017
Celebrity Equinox, Southern Caribbean, Oct 2017

Past Cruises:
RCI Explorer of the Seas, Alaska, June 2016
Celebrity Eclipse, Southern Caribbean, Feb 2016
Celebrity Eclipse, Southern Caribbean Mar2016
Celebrity Equinox, Western Caribbean, Feb 2015
Celebrity Equinox, Eastern Caribbean, Feb 2015