driving from Dubrovnik to Kotor

Hello, we will be in Dubrovnik on May 29 from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. We would like to drive to Kotor (we've been to Dubrovnik 3times) I know that we would be crossing a border and I've read all the requirements but is there anyone who has actually done it? Some said that the border crossing took a long time, some said 20 min. Trying to discern fact from fiction :)

We have done it. It took about 5 minutes to pass through Montenegro customs on the road. Clearly, this time would depend on traffic.

We picked up a Sixt rental car at the Hilton (just outside the gates) drove to Perast. Had breakfast at a place on the water. Then we took the ferry (really a small boat) over to the island church (I think it is call Our Lady of the Rocks). We continued on to Kotor. As I recall there were two routes to Kotor. One involved a ferry to cut down on the road time. We did both.

Spent time in Kotor, then motored back. The view from above Dubrovnic is very nice. As is the drive to Kotor.

We actually rented a car for two seperate days. We did not want to rent for two days because we were staying inside the walls. There is a gas station in town on the way back to the hotel where we gassed up the car.

It worked out well. No issues whatsoever. On our second rental we drove into Bosnia. Again, no issues whatsoever.

• 3 months later...

I am curious about this as well. My wife and I are looking at Itineraries and wondering if we could get off the ship in Dubrovnik and Get on again in Kotor/Montenegro.

It would be fun to travel and stay on land for a night.

Anyone else have this experience?

thanks!

-Sean

We spent several nights in Dubrovnik on a land trip. The city takes on a whole different atmosphere in the evening. City lights come on, cruise crowds are all gone by 5.

We did an independent trip down the coast of Croatia using the local ferry system and stopping in various places for a few days. Very different than our cruise ship stop for 8 hours or so.

• 4 weeks later...
I am curious about this as well. My wife and I are looking at Itineraries and wondering if we could get off the ship in Dubrovnik and Get on again in Kotor/Montenegro.

It would be fun to travel and stay on land for a night.

Anyone else have this experience?

thanks!

-Sean

I am very curious about this myself. The drive from Dubrovnik to Kotor is only about 2 hours and would give us a chance to see so much more. Hopefully, someone who has done this trip can give us some guidance.

We have done this. We went to Kotor for a weeks holiday, but flew into Dubrovnik and hired a car from Sixt. Sixt supplied the necessary documents for taking the car across the border.

It was an easy drive and the scenery was pretty. We crossed the border quickly both ways, but I had heard there can be long delays, particularly in summer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

we did Dubrovnik - Kotor transfer by Dubrovnik Cruiser Taxi and everything was fine. The guide was funny and ready to stop wherever we wish to do photo shoots. The price was reasonably compering with other taxi agencies...

• 1 month later...

We were in Dubrovnic for several nights. We were on a land trip. Well it was really a ferry trip. We took the local ferry from Split, got off at different places along the way.

We rented a car twice in Dubrovnic. Twice...because we wanted to do some day trips but had no place to keep the car since we were staying inside the city walls.

We did advance daily booking with Sixt. The rate was excellent. At that time they were located in the Hilton Hotel, just outside the main gate. We drove to Kotor, stopping at Perast for breakfast at a cafe that jutted out onto the bay. Then we took the small boat over to the church/museum. Crossing into Montenegro was a non event. We were essentially waved through after slowing down. It was a beautiful drive. Lots of easy parking in Perast and in Kotor. Another day we drove to Mostar in Bosnia. Crossing the border was another non issue.