Flights to the Caribbean from Manchester

C at Sea

We are flying to Barbados in Feb from Manchester.

We have had paperwork to say we have to be at the airport 4 hrs before flight. Previously its always been 3hrs - but I have heard that there's some sort of holdup at Manchester due to new equipment? Don't know if this is correct - but anyway that's fine, but then we noticed its 4hrs before coming back in Barbados too! We missed last year but have cruised to Caribbean for few years before and its usually been pretty quick from getting to airport in Barbados to the flight being called as there's no check in or luggage to deal with as all sorted on ship. Has all that changed? Just wondering cos seems long time before flight when its just through security to departure. Has anyone been recently to explain this long wait?

Thanks!

Edited by C at Sea

We have just paid £3.50 each for fast track with our meet and greet car hire for travel 13th Dec to 28th Dec for an amazing £46.99 Terminal 1, such a bargain as they quoted us £99 for one week a few weeks ago, get in early and book. It costs us £50 return in a taxi, go figure!!!

We have had paperwork to say we have to be at the airport 4 hrs before flight. Previously its always been 3hrs - but I have heard that there's some sort of holdup at Manchester due to new equipment? Don't know if this is correct - but anyway that's fine, but then we noticed its 4hrs before coming back in Barbados too! We missed last year but have cruised to Caribbean for few years before and its usually been pretty quick from getting to airport in Barbados to the flight being called as there's no check in or luggage to deal with as all sorted on ship. Has all that changed? Just wondering cos seems long time before flight when its just through security to departure. Has anyone been recently to explain this long wait?

Thanks!

We have done Barbados 5 times from MCR 4 times with Thomsons/Thos Cook to OV/P&O ships and once with Virgin.On all occasions check in was 4hrs before.

Thanks!

Hello,

I am curious to know what paperwork you have received that tells you what time to be at the airport?

We fly to Barbados on 3/1/14 and haven't received any paperwork?

Our cruise personaliser gives the flight details but no instructions on arrival times at the airport?

As you are flying after us I just want to make sure we haven't missed some appropriate paperwork.

Many Thanks in anticipation of your help :)

We're flying Thomson on 4th January and also havent had any notification re check in time. Having said that below is an extract from the Thomson airways website. Guess we'll only find out for sure when we print our e docs

What time do I need to check in for my Thomson Airways flight?

UK Airports

At UK airports, check-in desks open 2 to 3 hours before your departure time. If you’re taking a long haul flight, we recommend you check in 3 hours before your flight leaves.

Only one person from your party is required to check-in, provided all passengers are travelling on the same booking reference. Just one of you needs to bring all passports and baggage to the check-in desk, and then you can all go straight to the departure gates together with your tickets and boarding passes.

Sorry for late reply! Been super busy hospital visiting!

Thanks for the replies!

Paperwork came from TA to inform us of the 4hrs checkin.

Sagaris - yes me too! I've accepted the Manchester end - but can't understand the Barbados end!

Hope return journey arrangements are as slick as usual cos taking friends with us this time who haven't been before and we've bigged up how good it usually is!!

I've already noticed that there's been cost cutting - with only tap water free on the plane since we last went to Caribbean in Feb 2012!

Sorry for late reply! Been super busy hospital visiting!

Thanks for the replies!

Paperwork came from TA to inform us of the 4hrs checkin.

Sagaris - yes me too! I've accepted the Manchester end - but can't understand the Barbados end!

Hope return journey arrangements are as slick as usual cos taking friends with us this time who haven't been before and we've bigged up how good it usually is!!

I've already noticed that there's been cost cutting - with only tap water free on the plane since we last went to Caribbean in Feb 2012!

Barbados end isnt an issue as P&O take responsibility for getting you there. Yes, the free alcoholic drinks on P&O flights have ended. Another cutback.

Last time P&O got us to the airport with just under a 3 hour wait, it was a bit tedious but hey ho that's as it is, we just made sure we ate well on ship before we left and we were lucky it was a late afternoon flight with an hours delay they didn't take us off the ship until the flight had touched down. Very well planned IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
Barbados end isnt an issue as P&O take responsibility for getting you there. Yes, the free alcoholic drinks on P&O flights have ended. Another cutback.

You know what?? That's possibly the straw that broke the camels back.

It has been a few years since going long haul to join the vessel, but one of the joys was the offer of complimentary drinks during the flight. A small token from the company that they appreciated your custom.

This news, added to all the other negativity surrounding falling standards has led me to the conclusion that in the race for cost effectiveness, they have forgotten their original core values. Following a two year gap between the last cruise I took and the previous one, I was quite surprised at what I saw as slipping standards. I think I will have to reconsider my wish to travel to the Caribbean early next year.