Scenic River Cruises & Low Water

CruiserDoc

Does anyone have experience with action Scenic Cruises takes when the river water is too low? In 2 weeks, some good friends will be on the Danube with Scenic, sailing from Budapest to Nuremberg. Does Scenic tend to cancel, use motorcoaches or transfer from river boat-to-river boat?

Thanks!

We attended a presentation last week hosted by the US sales manager of Scenic, and when asked about low water levels and how it is handled, he said they do the ship transfer. While it is a nuisance to pack up and move to another ship (and actually far more a nuisance for the housekeeping crews of both ships), in my opinion that far beats a bus tour, hands down!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

If you look through the forum archives and cruise reviews I think you will find that the ship swaps happen on the longer Amsterdam to Budapest itineraries. The cruise is interrupted somewhere between Nuremberg and Passau. In my research I don't remember any mention of a Danube cruise that had a ship swap.

I also am very interested in how Scenic will deal with low water on the Danube. We will be on Scenic Jasper for her August 24 departure from Budapest to Nuremberg. Last week the ship could not get past Passau. I hope they used the ship as a hotel the last two days and bussed to the daily activities, but have so far not seen any reports.

Scenic Opal made it through the shallows this week. We'll find out this weekend how the Jasper does. At the moment vesselfinder.com does not show any cruise ships between Villshofen and Regensburg. Of course that may be because no cruise itineraries place ships on that stretch of river today. There is a cluster of cruise ships huddled in Regensburg.

Jeb Bud, did you see today's post on the Scenic Aug 5 Nuremberg to Budapest thread. The poster has been contacted by Scenic that the ship will be docked at Passau for the first 4 days. Passengers will be bussed from Nuremberg to Passau. Sounds like there's a good chance that our Aug 24 cruise will end up being docked at Passau for two nights. (If I'm reading the brochure correctly.) Then we'd have to be bussed to Regensburg and, on the last day to Nuremberg. The express train from Passau to Nuremberg may be preferable to a 3-4 hours bus ride. Also, wonder where the bus would drop us off in Nuremberg.

We attended a presentation last week hosted by the US sales manager of Scenic.......

Hi SBG,

I live east of Raleigh along US264. Would like to know how you found out about the presentation? Would like to be included in a future event.

Leaving in two weeks for my Scenic Rhone River cruise. First river cruise!!!!!!

Good to know that Scenic has learned after the water level issue of a few years ago.

Hi NCCruzQueen,

It was coordinated by a local travel agent who has a group from our area on a Scenic cruise next year. I did see something on the Scenic website about presentations coming up in various cities in Texas, so maybe they are out and about doing this across the country.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Jeb Bud, did you see today's post on the Scenic Aug 5 Nuremberg to Budapest thread. The poster has been contacted by Scenic that the ship will be docked at Passau for the first 4 days. Passengers will be bussed from Nuremberg to Passau. Sounds like there's a good chance that our Aug 24 cruise will end up being docked at Passau for two nights. (If I'm reading the brochure correctly.) Then we'd have to be bussed to Regensburg and, on the last day to Nuremberg. The express train from Passau to Nuremberg may be preferable to a 3-4 hours bus ride. Also, wonder where the bus would drop us off in Nuremberg.

As long as we still sleep on the boat I'm fine with that. I haven't seen the post you referred to(to which you referred?). I'll look for it.

If car rental prices are the same in August as they are now we are thinking hard about renting a car if we end the cruise in Passau. Rail might be cheaper but driving provides a lot of flexibility.

Hi NCCruzQueen, It was coordinated by a local travel agent who has a group from our area on a Scenic cruise next year. I did see something on the Scenic website about presentations coming up in various cities in Texas, so maybe they are out and about doing this across the country.

Thanks sunsetbeachgal,

My TA isn't local or maybe I would have been invited. Thanks for the info.