Why Does the Mast Grill Have Such Dedicated Followers?

need2cruisesoon

For those who miss the chips and cheese, go inside to the Mexican food area of the buffet. I top my burger (bun-less) with guacamole.

I've never put American cheese (food) on my burger or anything else. Fresh sliced sharp cheddar or something else. Ever try brie on a burger? Or Havarti - with some thinly sliced granny smith apple?

Mmmm.

Now you're talking!! :)

One of the keys is going back in to the buffet and getting the steak cut fries, and finding gravy at one of the carving stations. Shhh, don't tell anyone.

Good plan cause the fries at the Mast Grill suck, they are those weird things that are mashed potato's pressed out in French fry shapes, flash frozen till they are fried...NASTY....I will take the MDR steak fries anytime, didn't see them in the buffet on Solstice though, all I saw there were they same nasty things they Mast Grill had

I REALLY like great burgers. Prefer mine Med Rare. I always have at least one burger per cruise. The problem... I have never had a great burger. Even when I asked for one directly off the grill. Watching, I would ask for one that was properly cooked for me. However they are required to cook them too long. All I got was well done or longer. At least it was hot and fresh. :)

Their fresh fries are very good though.

Ever time they tell me they are required all over the ship to serve beef well done I tell them that completely raw beef is served onboard and they just look at me with that confused glazed over eye look! :eek:

I REALLY like great burgers. Prefer mine Med Rare. I always have at least one burger per cruise. The problem... I have never had a great burger. Even when I asked for one directly off the grill. Watching, I would ask for one that was properly cooked for me. However they are required to cook them too long. All I got was well done or longer. At least it was hot and fresh. :)

Their fresh fries are very good though.

I only like my burgers rare and my fries very, very well done and hot and crispy. Impossible to get. I therefore skip the Mast Grill and get something elsewhere.

Was not impressed with the burgers at the Mast Grill, neither was my husband. The burgers did not come fresh off the grill. They were precooked and came out of a warming dish. I've had better at Jack in the Box or Burger King. We were there first thing when it opened, so maybe the burgers were left over from the night before? I was quite surprised when my burger was not freshly cooked off the grill but was more of a gray, disc thing, which looked wholly unappetizing. Maybe it was just an anomaly.

I'm used to the grill on another cruise line whose burgers ARE good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

Mast Grill burgers are not bad, taste good - not sure how fresh the meat is though. Wish they had a Five Guys on board!

How fresh do frozen food service beef-like patties have to be. Regarding the Five Guys, unfortunately with staff cuts, there are only Two Guys left. :D

More variety? I don't get it.just not sure what people expect.its a burger hot dog grill with every condiment known to man.

Although on a different cruise my wife had a salmon FILLET sandwich that was incredible. Wasn't a ground salmon burger but an actual fillet. Pretty nice.

As far as five guys I agree would love to see it on a cruise ship but would have to have a cardiac care unit next to it. Great burgers though.

How fresh do frozen food service beef-like patties have to be. Regarding the Five Guys, unfortunately with staff cuts, there are only Two Guys left. :D

Someone earlier on was saying how fresh the burgers tasted, I wasn't so sure. They just tasted like reasonable quality everyday burgers to me

More variety? I don't get it.just not sure what people expect.its a burger hot dog grill with every condiment known to man.

Although on a different cruise my wife had a salmon FILLET sandwich that was incredible. Wasn't a ground salmon burger but an actual fillet. Pretty nice.

As far as five guys I agree would love to see it on a cruise ship but would have to have a cardiac care unit next to it. Great burgers though.

On Summit last month they had a "sandwich of the day" selection. I remember one day it was sliced flank steak strips.

• 1 year later...
Hint: Experienced "mast grill followers" know that you should ask for your hamburger directly from the grill....not from the bin of greasy, already cooked burgers.

French fries are good if they haven't been sitting there long.

It is a great place for lunch and if it's a nice day, it's a great place to have the boarding lunch, away from the crowds who flock to the buffet.

YEP! This is one of the very *few* times I give staff sort of a hard time. Most cruises I politely ask for a fresh burger or dog and at least TWICE they gotta point out that there's readymade ones in the bin. Really annoys me.

YEP! This is one of the very *few* times I give staff sort of a hard time. Most cruises I politely ask for a fresh burger or dog and at least TWICE they gotta point out that there's readymade ones in the bin. Really annoys me.

Like it annoys some when people resurrect an almost two year old thread? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like it annoys some when people resurrect an almost two year old thread? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's Cruise Critic, look hard enough and you could probably find recent posts complaining about no more midnight buffets

I think its main reason for being popular is because its FREE, reminds me of slightly better than the Navy or McD but not quite Wendy's or certainly not 5 Guys

I know when the upped the quality of the burgers on a trial basis and added a nominal surcharge of $10, people were up in arms.

Like anything I guess people want top quality UNLESS they have to pay for it, then they are happy with the free one.

Edited by johhnnyt

This is a old thread but it still applies. Mast Grill on S-Class (or Pool Grill on M-Class) gives you free burgers and hot dogs, also veggie burgers. The rest that follows is all IMO. The burgers are of low quality meat - quite fatty- maybe that is preferred by some. They pre-cook everything and put them in a bin. They are frequently luke warm. Fries are frequently soggy. Buns are cafeteria quality. If you want cheese on your burger there is some kind of orange cheese food slice that they will add to the burger after it is cooked. If you can get them to fresh cook a burger with melted cheese that might make them edible. It is not easy to find a good burger on a Celebrity ship unless you are in a suite (Luminae burger) or pay for one on some ships that have either Lawn Club Grill or Gastro Pub. On Sea days the MDR might serve decent free burgers for lunch. Feel free to flame me but I don't see why so many love Mast Grill.

I make an AWESOME burger at home, using Wagyu beef, cooked on a green egg, sharp cheddar or Swiss cheese, your choice, brioche bun, etc,etc,etc.

Every ingredient top shelf.

I STILL LOVE the mast grill burger!

If you critique it, there’s nothing special there, I get it.

It MUST be the atmosphere of eating it on the cruise ship, but for us, a burger and fries at the Mast grill is a “must do” every cruise.

This is a old thread but it still applies. Mast Grill on S-Class (or Pool Grill on M-Class) gives you free burgers and hot dogs, also veggie burgers. The rest that follows is all IMO. The burgers are of low quality meat - quite fatty- maybe that is preferred by some. They pre-cook everything and put them in a bin. They are frequently luke warm. Fries are frequently soggy. Buns are cafeteria quality. If you want cheese on your burger there is some kind of orange cheese food slice that they will add to the burger after it is cooked. If you can get them to fresh cook a burger with melted cheese that might make them edible. It is not easy to find a good burger on a Celebrity ship unless you are in a suite (Luminae burger) or pay for one on some ships that have either Lawn Club Grill or Gastro Pub. On Sea days the MDR might serve decent free burgers for lunch. Feel free to flame me but I don't see why so many love Mast Grill.

t - it is the only place, I have found where one can get a freshly cooked and prepared veggie burger.

Many of us vegetarians and vegans think they are great for an occasional eat.

bon voyage

I believe a big part of the allure of the Mast Grill is the aroma of bacon frying and onions cooking on the flat top hours before they are open for serving.

If you sit around the pool during this time, enjoying an adult beverage or two and taking in the aromas, by the time they open up you are single minded in your pursuit of one of their burgers.

No, it is not a top of the line burger, but it seems to scratch an itch for sure.

I believe a big part of the allure of the Mast Grill is the aroma of bacon frying and onions cooking on the flat top hours before they are open for serving.

If you sit around the pool during this time, enjoying an adult beverage or two and taking in the aromas, by the time they open up you are single minded in your pursuit of one of their burgers.

No, it is not a top of the line burger, but it seems to scratch an itch for sure.

You also don't have to dress up or risk losing your sunbed whilst going off to Ocean View Cafe - want a burger, time it right and you can be back at your sunlounger with a minute or two.

Additionally, for those with little will power, you can get quick hot meal and avoid the temptations of the buffet

t - it is the only place, I have found where one can get a freshly cooked and prepared veggie burger.

Many of us vegetarians and vegans think they are great for an occasional eat.

bon voyage

We’ve struggled as they cook them on the grill where the meat ones have been cooked, use the same cooking utensils and often serve the fries using their gloved hand to plate a handful and hold the bun with the same hands even though they have used the same hands handling meat. Even when we said about being vegetarian they have never quite got it. How have you managed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk