Getting Vietnam visa on board

wotaripper

Since we do not overnight we would leave the ship at Ha Long Bay and meet back up at Da Nang my concern is having an issue with the ship in doing this.

Surely, your holiday, your choice on what you do. As long as you accept the responsibility for your planned excursion/ adventure, and arrive back in time for ship sailing, then there should not be a problem. Contact cruise line with regards to their policy on overnights etc.

• 2 years later...

Update: January 2018

Apparently Vietnam has voted to lower cost of Visa for cruise ship passengers back to USD $5.

We will be sailing NCL Jewel in a month and they have not been very forthcoming with amount of on board charge for this visa. Any recent Data Points from other cruisers going to Vietnam would be appreciated. Thanks

We were in Vietnam late December 2017 on Azamara Journey. The charge for a Vietnamese visa on board was US$6 per person. We are NZ passport holders, but as far as I know it was the same fee for everyone.

Was there a requirement for a picture or just pay the fee?

thanks

Was there a requirement for a picture or just pay the fee?

thanks

We actually brought an extra passport photo with us but it was never asked for. I imagine when the ship obtained the Vietnam visa's for all onboard they just went by the SeaPass photo...so easy no problem at all for our RCI cruise. The $6.00 pp fee was automatically charged to our SeaPass account.

Having heard from those onboard that had obtained their Vietnam visa's pre-cruise (as their TA's had suggested and the high cost they paid) were then going to try and get refunds when they returned from the cruise. Hope they managed to.

No photo required. Fee just appeared on our account. The night before our first Vietnamese port a landing card was delivered to our cabin. We had to (sometimes) show this when disembarking, and then again returning to the ship. At the first port, and at one other port they got stamped. But the Vietnamese authorities were inconsistent and did not always check them. When we returned to the ship for the last time in Vietnam we had to surrender the landing cards.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My name is Karen from Tasmania, Australia. I am travelling with my husband and daughter for our first ever cruise with Voyagers of the Seas (operated by RCI). Departing Singapore on 30th of June, 2018 for 9 nights stopping in Thailand, Vietnam (3 ports: Phu My, Nha Trang and Chan May) and Hong Kong as the final destination.

We are a bit confused about Visa requirements for Vietnam. Just rung the RC hotline, the staff said the ship personnel should be able to assist us for a visa once we are on board. There will be a nominal fee of $50 per person. But she said we need to call the Vietnam Embassy to confirm if we still need to apply for a multiple entry visa beforehand. Can anyone with similar situations please help?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Karen

Hi,

My name is Karen from Tasmania, Australia. I am travelling with my husband and daughter for our first ever cruise with Voyagers of the Seas (operated by RCI). Departing Singapore on 30th of June, 2018 for 9 nights stopping in Thailand, Vietnam (3 ports: Phu My, Nha Trang and Chan May) and Hong Kong as the final destination.

We are a bit confused about Visa requirements for Vietnam. Just rung the RC hotline, the staff said the ship personnel should be able to assist us for a visa once we are on board. There will be a nominal fee of $50 per person. But she said we need to call the Vietnam Embassy to confirm if we still need to apply for a multiple entry visa beforehand. Can anyone with similar situations please help?

Karen

I cruised 3 ports in Vietnam with Azamara Journey in December. The ship arranges the visa, and charges $US6 to your shipboard account. You do not need to provide a photo. If you intend to stay overnight in port or do a land trip, you need a different kind of visa.

(BTW Vietnam Embassy in Canberra were no help at all.)

Hi MMDown under,

Thanks for your quick reply. We do have plans to go on some shore day excursions organised by the RCI and private tour group. Does the US$6 visa still OK for them?

I read some horrible stories when cruisers were denied boarding because they didn't have the visa organised before departure when starting a cruise from China for example. That's why we are a bit confused and anxious on what we are supposed to do as a first time cruiser. We booked our cruise online direct with RCI. I went to a local travel agent to ask for some advice and they don't want to help at all since I haven't booked the cruise through them.

Regards,

Karen

Hi MMDown under,

Thanks for your quick reply. We do have plans to go on some shore day excursions organised by the RCI and private tour group. Does the US$6 visa still OK for them?

I read some horrible stories when cruisers were denied boarding because they didn't have the visa organised before departure when starting a cruise from China for example. That's why we are a bit confused and anxious on what we are supposed to do as a first time cruiser. We booked our cruise online direct with RCI. I went to a local travel agent to ask for some advice and they don't want to help at all since I haven't booked the cruise through them.

Regards,

Karen

You just need to be aware that while Celebrity may charge $6 for the visa, some other cruise lines will charge you a lot more. Princess for example charge each person in excess of $40 USD which caused an outpouring of rage last year when they upped the fee from what others were generally charging.

You just need to be aware that while Celebrity may charge $6 for the visa, some other cruise lines will charge you a lot more. Princess for example charge each person in excess of $40 USD which caused an outpouring of rage last year when they upped the fee from what others were generally charging.

Thanks for your help again.

Hi MMDown under,

Regards,

Karen

I had the same problem prior to my cruise in November, so understand why it is necessary to check now that the onus is on the passenger.

You can do anything in port, either privately or with RCI tour, with the US$6 visa, you can't just stay overnight, such as an overnight on a junk, or do an overland trip.

Hi,

Karen

First off Karen, don't panic yor're going on a cruise.:ship:

Vietnam welcomes tourists (money) and would do nothing to upset this important industry for them, it's the cruise lines that have to get their act together.

See my previous thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2614046

As you are only doing tours from the ports of call and not doing overnight trips (i.e. Hanoi) you do NOT NEED a multiply entry visa (the reason being the ships does not leave Vietnamese territorial waters). The ship will issue you a Thẻ Đi Bờ Của Hành Khách (Passenger's Landing Card) to be used in lieu of your passport, which will be held by the ship. This and your cruise card are all you need to exit and enter the ship.

I cannot help with what the ship will charge as have others said, cruise

lines charges can vary greatly.

Now sit back, relax and dream about all those exotic places you will be visiting.

Ron

PS. In our passports, there is only one entry stamp and one exit stamp, so the ship' spors of call are counted as only "one stop / entry".

PPS. Thoroughly recommend a trishaw ride through the Saigon traffic. Have a great cruise.

Edited by G.M.T.

Hi,

Karen

Hi Karen

We are from South Africa and did a south east Asia cruise with Celebrity in December 2017, with two overnight excursions. The ship did the overnight visas for us, it did require photographs, can' recall the cost but no problems.

Hope this helps

Jacques

First off Karen, don't panic yor're going on a cruise.:ship:

Vietnam welcomes tourists (money) and would do nothing to upset this important industry for them, it's the cruise lines that have to get their act together.

See my previous thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2614046

As you are only doing tours from the ports of call and not doing overnight trips (i.e. Hanoi) you do NOT NEED a multiply entry visa (the reason being the ships does not leave Vietnamese territorial waters). The ship will issue you a Thẻ Đi Bờ Của Hành Khách (Passenger's Landing Card) to be used in lieu of your passport, which will be held by the ship. This and your cruise card are all you need to exit and enter the ship.

I cannot help with what the ship will charge as have others said, cruise

lines charges can vary greatly.

Now sit back, relax and dream about all those exotic places you will be visiting.

Ron

PS. In our passports, there is only one entry stamp and one exit stamp, so the ship' spors of call are counted as only "one stop / entry".

PPS. Thoroughly recommend a trishaw ride through the Saigon traffic. Have a great cruise.

With regard to the last sentence regarding a trishaw ride.

They are called cyclos in Vietnam and you should make sure the ride is organised and paid for in advance by your hotel or tour company.

Do not under any circumstances go with one off the street, it will end in disaster and you will extorted for lots of money up'a quiet street

Trip advisor is full of horror stories from tourists hiring cyclos off the streets in Vietnam and even the locals will not use them.

With regard to the last sentence regarding a trishaw ride.

They are called cyclos in Vietnam and you should make sure the ride is organised and paid for in advance by your hotel or tour company.

Do not under any circumstances go with one off the street, it will end in disaster and you will extorted for lots of money up'a quiet street

Trip advisor is full of horror stories from tourists hiring cyclos off the streets in Vietnam and even the locals will not use them.

Totally agree.

We had arranged our's before arriving through our guide (Zoom) and there was someone from SaigonTravel who coordinated the tour.

In October last year we were on Voyager of the Seas, same 3 ports in Vietnam, RCI charged $6 to our onboard account. Be aware these are commercial ports and a long way from anywhere of interest. Organise a ship excursion, reasonable price or a private one. Lovely country, lovely people. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you need a photo? For some reason on our edocs Royal states we need a passport photo for Vietnam

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

We were asked in our documentation to bring a passport sized photo. Never asked for it. I should have mentioned you do not get an actual visa but a landing card, which you may or may not have to show when leaving ship or returning. Depends on which Vietnamese official is on duty.

We were asked in our documentation to bring a passport sized photo. Never asked for it. I should have mentioned you do not get an actual visa but a landing card, which you may or may not have to show when leaving ship or returning. Depends on which Vietnamese official is on duty.

Thanks,

Just trying to decide if we should waste money on pictures.

We are just off the Millennium (Hong Kong, Vietnam,Taiwan). We had to turn in a color copy of the picture page from our passport at embarkation. Because did an overnight in Hanoi, we needed the special visa ($28). That visa required 2 passport photos for each of us. The photo staff on board was able to get them to us fairly quickly for $10 per person. The passengers who were doing only day trips in Vietnam didn't need the passport photos.

I was also on the same cruise as "bubbo".

The requested copy of the passport was for Taiwan. The ship kept your passport, we were given the passport copy stamped by the Taiwanese immigration officals, this was used toenter / leave Taiwan.