A Visit Come True

I had always wanted to visit Liverpool.

Why?

Because The Beatles are my all-time rock and roll group.

I also remember reading about its contribution during World War II and the massive hits this city took.

Our dream came true on a cruise.

Liverpool has gone through a major renovation.

Ironically many years ago from what they learned they didn't necessarily appreciate The Beatles as many of us did. At one point they figured it out that this was one of many reasons why tourists would love to visit this city.

It has a nice mix of new and old buildings.

DSC_4030.jpg

DSC_4031.jpg

The Casbah Coffee Club where The Beatles first performed in Liverpool.

Amazing to see how small it was with low ceilings and to learn that overtime John, Paul and George were involved with painting some of the ceilings. This was before Ringo. Pete Best was the drummer.

DSC_4052.jpg

DSC_4053.jpg

So this is how we spent our day.

Have you ever had a place that was on your bucket list and you saw it and want to go back? Well we want to return to Liverpool. We are thinking we will do it as part of a pre or post British Isles Cruise. Want to see some additional Beatles related places including the museum. We want to tour outside the city. We want to see its other museums and learn more about its history.

Keith

Thank you for posting these - Thoroughly enjoyed looking at the photos Keith - you obviously enjoyed your visit.

We are off to Liverpool in October to see the Terracotta Warriors exhibition and are looking forward to seeing the city again.

Next time make your trip a bit longer - there is a very convenient Marriott hotel, right in the centre and handy for all the sights.

Thanks for posting, great photos. We are fortunate to live only a 45 minute drive from Liverpool so a day out to walk along the waterfront, Albert Dock and admire the 'Three Graces' (Liver Building, Cunard Building and Port of Liverpool Building) is a regular experience. Liverpool has some excellent museums. Oddly, we have never done a Beatles Tour. My wife was born across the Mersey but was just too young to see the Beatles live. She was very envious of her older cousins who went to the Cavern Club on a regular basis.

Thank you for this! I enjoyed your pictures and perspective. What is the name of the tour you took?

It is on my list, also. :)

So this is how we spent our day.

Have you ever had a place that was on your bucket list and you saw it and want to go back? Well we want to return to Liverpool. We are thinking we will do it as part of a pre or post British Isles Cruise. Want to see some additional Beatles related places including the museum. We want to tour outside the city. We want to see its other museums and learn more about its history.

Keith

I googled to confirm that was the river referenced in the Gerry and the Pacemakers song. I see the ferry crossing is an "attraction" now...I'll have to add that. Such an educational thread:)

Thanks for posting, great photos. We are fortunate to live only a 45 minute drive from Liverpool so a day out to walk along the waterfront, Albert Dock and admire the 'Three Graces' (Liver Building, Cunard Building and Port of Liverpool Building) is a regular experience. Liverpool has some excellent museums. Oddly, we have never done a Beatles Tour. My wife was born across the Mersey but was just too young to see the Beatles live. She was very envious of her older cousins who went to the Cavern Club on a regular basis.

I googled to confirm that was the river referenced in the Gerry and the Pacemakers song. I see the ferry crossing is an "attraction" now... :)

One of my all time favorite songs, when I found out I could actually Ferry 'Cross the Mersey I knew Liverpool had to be in my itinerary.

One of my all time favorite songs, when I found out I could actually Ferry 'Cross the Mersey I knew Liverpool had to be in my itinerary.

Yes, the ferries still run but they are not as frequent or as busy as they used to be. Thousands would make the daily commute across the river to Liverpool. Gerry Marsden (of Gerry and the Pacemakers) although born in Liverpool, still lives 'across the water'.

Edited by Omega1