Fjords cruise - need help

kimprice97

I'm going on a P&O cruise on 13th September and need some help - we normally always cruise with RCI but unfortunately due to restrictions on when we can take annual leave and the number of days left to book, we had no choice but to choose the P&O Cruise Norwegian Fjord for 7 days. I say unfortunately as we could have sailed with RCI for twice as long and cheaper if we could have booked 1st September :mad:

I am looking forward to trying something new knowing that next year we are booked on Oasis :p

Anyway, the P&O boards are nowhere near as helpful and informative as the RCI boards and due to lack of a response, I could really do with your help.

I don't know what to pack for this cruise as I really don't know what the weather will be like. I know weather is changeable but generally, what do I need to pack? :confused:

Winter coats & boots?

Shorts? :cool:

Summer jacket? :D

Jumpers?

Rain jackets? :(

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Plus if anyone has any other tips feel free to post here, the ports are Stavenger, Flaam, Olden & Bergen.

many thanks

Kim

For a fjords cruise it is advisable to pack clothes so you can wear layers. It can go from cold to warm to rainy in one day so prepare for all eventualities.

Ports wise I would recommend the brisksdal glacier tour in olden - a hard walk but worth it for the stunning scenery or you can take a troll car up there.

In Bergen we just walked around and came across Bryggen an old German settlement right on the high street, very interesting

Can't help with the other ports, sorry

Beware Norway is very expensive. £10 a pint, £17 a sandwich type prices

I wouldn't go as far as winter coats and boots but it will most likely rain at some point. Helps to fuel the spectacular waterfalls that we go to the Fjords to see.

I'd say forget the shorts (except for swimming if its a covered heated pool) and pack jeans, jumpers/fleece a summer jacket for the nice days and a rain coat for those rainy days.

It can be changeable from warm to cold/wet on the same day.

Average temps in September are around mid teens C and average rainfall is 14-24 days out of 30,

I don't recall wearing shorts once except for an unusually warm sea day. We wore jeans and spring jackets in every port. The thunderstorm that we encountered in Stavanger was unlike any I've ever experienced. No umbrella or raincoat would have kept you dry in that storm!

I was able to buy a very inexpensive fleece blanket from the gift shop aboard. If you have a balcony, you will definitely need one. I would sit out for hours watching the scenery (in July, we had daylight until at least 11:00 every night), but there was a very cool breeze every night that you needed a blanket for (I didn't want to use the comforter on the bed in case there were smokers, rain, etc...).

Walking around Stavanger was lovely. The cathedral was breathtaking. Make sure you go there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stavanger_Cathedral

People that we talked with went on tours of the surrounding fjords and they all loved it. Of the ports that we visited, Stavanger had the best shopping.

Bergen is a bit more touristy. We went on the Fløibanen Funicular. Tip: when you get to the front of the line, ask the attendant if you can wait to sit at the front of the car. It makes it much more fun to ride up (though do watch out for pushy tourists. We were first in line, and somebody tried to elbow and shove me to get to the front!).

I can't help you with the other ports. But if you don't have a balcony booked, run and change it! The scenery is second to none.

You could always post the question on the RCI board anyway - noone's asking for proof of travel before they answer.

But anyway, it won't snow, it might rain, it might be sunny, it might be quite hot. Take everything except the winter stuff - 7 day cruise, no fly, no restriction on luggage.

One item of clothing well worth taking are walking trousers with a zip off lower leg section. They are lightweight so far better than jeans whatever the weather.

If its cold they keep you warm

If its wet they often have rain repellant in the fabric so shed water

If they do get wet they dry quickly

If it is warm you can unzip the bottom part of the leg and have shorts.

If they get dirty they can be washed through and will dry overnight.

On some days in Norway you could well go through each and every one of these scenarios in a day.

Another bonus is they have plenty of pockets.

As you are going to Flaam book the Norway in a Nutshell Tour. A great day out.

• 3 weeks later...
You could always post the question on the RCI board anyway - noone's asking for proof of travel before they answer.

But anyway, it won't snow, it might rain, it might be sunny, it might be quite hot. Take everything except the winter stuff - 7 day cruise, no fly, no restriction on luggage.

I did post this on the RCCL boards - it must have got moved?? Hope no ofference was taken! :p

I will be packing quite heavily now, thought I might be able to take a lot less on a 7 day cruise. But with 2 formals nights and not knowing what the weather will be like, I will have to take quite a bit!

I went last year for a week in June. Didn't really have to pack loads cos put in jeans chinos t-shirts and couple of fleeces. Then ofcourse dressy stuff for evening. Daytime wear is all about layers! Don't forget a waterproof!

Places like Flaam with the railway - its best to book a ships tour as if there are a number of ships in port that day - the trains will be full of prebooked tours and you might not get on if you do a DIY! Trips are expensive as the country is very expensive itself. We bought very little as even "cheap" gifts were much dearer than anywhere else!

Archived