Choice Promotion Service Charge

Chardonnay Char

Just booked a 2019 cruise on Gem online. At the end of the process, there suddenly appeared a $314 fee for Choice Promotion Service Charge. It did not appear before the final charge. I have 24 hours to cancel. Can anyone enlighten me?

from ncl website

Ultimate Beverage and Specialty Dining Packages are free but subject to 18% gratuities on the retail value.

The Choice Promo Service Charge is for staff members working in Specialty Dining Restaurants and our Bars. The Daily Service Charge covers stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff. Service charges encourage our crew to work together as a team as they are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

Choice Promo Service Charge does not cover the daily service charges

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package ($14.22 USD per person per day) and/or Pop Package ($1.35 USD per person per day) prior to cruise.

Retail value of Ultimate Beverage Package is $79.00 USD per person per day. Package price is subject to change.

Retail value of the Adult Pop Package is $7.50 USD per person per day. Package price is subject to change.

18% gratuities on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package and/or Pop Package are included when booking through the Australia office.

When booking through the Australia office, gratuities related to beverage and pop packages are included.

The Choice Promotion Service Charge is gratuity for the choice of promotion you picked and it is for the total days of your cruise. If you chosen the drink package, it would be at least $100+ depending on the total day. The same for the specialty dining plan promotion for gratuity. I chosen the specialty dining plan for my 10-days cruise. The gratuity was around ~$15.12 added to the final charge.

Thanks everyone. I knew there was an 18 percent service charge on drinks. I somehow naively thought it would be charged as we ordered them -- and go on the bill at the end, as opposed to assuming we would consume the ultimate total every day (which is not likely).

It may not be likely for you, but the cruise line is going to base the charge on the normal or average user. We took the UBP and are more than glad to know the service charges are all taken care of. We also were lucky enough to get the gratuity package as well. Now, we board the ship and know all our service charges except for maybe a few we decide to add are taken care of. we were just discussing this earlier today.

It may not be likely for you, but the cruise line is going to base the charge on the normal or average user. We took the UBP and are more than glad to know the service charges are all taken care of. We also were lucky enough to get the gratuity package as well. Now, we board the ship and know all our service charges except for maybe a few we decide to add are taken care of. we were just discussing this earlier today.

It's not the gratuity for "the average user," it's the gratuity for the daily price of the package. If you bough the package on its own it's something like $79/day. So the 18 percent on that is what you are paying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not the gratuity for "the average user," it's the gratuity for the daily price of the package. If you bought the package on its own it's something like $79/day. So the 18 percent on that is what you are paying.

I like the way you say it better. A bit more logical.

Of course the daily pricing is based on their analysis of the average user (quantity and type of drinks).

And by the way, charging it on the daily charge vs per drink means a lot less paperwork and charges back to your room.

I agree that charging 18% of whatever drinks you actually end up ordering makes a lot more sense. I'm sure people would complain about that though.

One of the really nice things about pre-charging tips is that bartenders don't have to print off charge slips any longer. It speeds up bar service for everyone. Also, your on-board account won't show these charges so you don't have to remind yourself why you woke up with a screaming headache the next day. ;)

One of the really nice things about pre-charging tips is that bartenders don't have to print off charge slips any longer. It speeds up bar service for everyone. Also, your on-board account won't show these charges so you don't have to remind yourself why you woke up with a screaming headache the next day. ;)

Oh I have no problem with the way they do it. I'm pretty sure I come out ahead anyways.

I like the way you say it better. A bit more logical.

Of course the daily pricing is based on their analysis of the average user (quantity and type of drinks).

And by the way, charging it on the daily charge vs per drink means a lot less paperwork and charges back to your room.

True - although my guess is that it's actually a little higher than average and actually makes the ship money- my friend and I considered getting the package before it was a perk on our first cruise together. We planned on getting our drink on. When we crunched the numbers though, there was no way we could sustain that kind of drinking for 7 days.

I agree that charging 18% of whatever drinks you actually end up ordering makes a lot more sense. I'm sure people would complain about that though.

I don't think it does. It takes away the idea of not having to worry about spending anymore once on board.

• 4 months later...
I believe that NCL is the only cruise line that adds the 18% afterward, but IMHO it's still a good deal. I have the UDP and the SDP, and don't have to worry about my bill at the end of the cruise. I also pre paid the DSC.

When you've prepaid service charges and have the SDP as part of "Free At Sea", does that mean there is absolutely zero bill or % to worry about on your account? Other than tipping the staff extra with cash, I want to have as much money issues taken care of as possible before sailing.

When you've prepaid service charges and have the SDP as part of "Free At Sea", does that mean there is absolutely zero bill or % to worry about....

For the most part, you are covered.

If your drink is over $15, you will pay the difference plus 20%. For ex. a $17.95 drink will cost $2.95 plus 20% ($3.54). If your drink is $15 or less (most are), you can have a hundred of them and not pay anything.

However, you may be charged a state tax while in port until the ship is out to sea but it's usually less than a dollar per drink.

For the most part, you are covered.

If your drink is over $15, you will pay the difference plus 20%. For ex. a $17.95 drink will cost $2.95 plus 20% ($3.54). If your drink is $15 or less (most are), you can have a hundred of them and not pay anything.

However, you may be charged a state tax while in port until the ship is out to sea but it's usually less than a dollar per drink.

Wouldn't it just be 20% of the $2.95 and not the entire cost of the drink? Otherwise, why wouldn't the same 20% apply to drinks under $15? And, if I'm already paying the service charge for the Drink package and Dining Package, PLUS prepaid gratuities - Doesn't that free me of any additional charges from the two packages? ( Other than drinks over $15, port taxes or extra entrees).

When you've prepaid service charges and have the SDP as part of "Free At Sea", does that mean there is absolutely zero bill or % to worry about on your account? Other than tipping the staff extra with cash, I want to have as much money issues taken care of as possible before sailing.

You get multiple appetizers, sides, desserts and a single entree. Some ships have their waiters try to limit the apps and sides. You can either abide by the limit or pull out your free at sea terms and conditions, if the really try to enforce it, and move up the chain. But the answer to your question is that you will be presented an a la carte bill with 100% of the charged covered by the SDP.

We just order extras. We have NEVER been charged for the extra items. And NEVER had pull out the T&Cs.

Wouldn't it just be 20% of the $2.95 and not the entire cost of the drink? Otherwise, why wouldn't the same 20% apply to drinks under $15? And, if I'm already paying the service charge for the Drink package and Dining Package, PLUS prepaid gratuities - Doesn't that free me of any additional charges from the two packages? ( Other than drinks over $15, port taxes or extra entrees).

For a $17.95 drink, the $2.95 plus 20% is $3.54. The first $15 is covered by the UBP and the 20% on that $15 has already been paid before boarding the ship (promo service charge).

If all drinks are $15 and under, no extra entrees are ordered, no up-charge restaurants (Ocean Blue, for ex) are visited, no a la carte only restaurants (Food Republic, for ex) are visited, there shouldn't be any other charges other than the ones you know (port taxes, etc.)

Thanks everyone. I knew there was an 18 percent service charge on drinks. I somehow naively thought it would be charged as we ordered them -- and go on the bill at the end, as opposed to assuming we would consume the ultimate total every day (which is not likely).
It was that way previously. The change to the upfront charge makes it much easier for the bar/wait staff and nicer for the cruise guest because you don't have to keep signing for the gratuity charge each time you order a drink.

True - although my guess is that it's actually a little higher than average and actually makes the ship money- my friend and I considered getting the package before it was a perk on our first cruise together. We planned on getting our drink on. When we crunched the numbers though, there was no way we could sustain that kind of drinking for 7 days.
Even still... consider the fact that the 18% gratuity on the $79/day cost of the UDP is $14.22. You only have to order two drinks a day to be ahead on that deal. So if you're getting the UDP for "free" as a perk for booking that's a pretty smoking deal.

But if you're not getting the UDP for free... well, you better be drunk as a skunk the entire cruise to justify that cost.

I always laugh when i Hear this argument. When you get a coupon for a free dinner at a restaurant, you still leave the server a tip correct? And you tip on how much the bill would have been correct? When you get a buy one get one free at a restaurant, same thing correct? You are still getting a free entree or a free meal