Drinking water on the Valor

Mrkmbb

How's the tap water onboard the Valor? Do we really need to buy bottled water, or can we get one bottle and refill it from the faucets?

Thanks!

The ice on the ship, as well as the coffee, tea, lemonade, etc. are all made from the ship's water. The water served in the MDR is the ship's water too. Buy bottled water if you must, but the ship's water is perfectly fine for drinking.

I’m pretty specific about the flavor of my water. I wasn’t in love with it on Valor, if I wasn’t getting cheers this time around on Breeze, I’d probably order a case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't drink the water, not because it isn't safe, but it is filtered from the ocean and still has a high salt content. I buy the bottled water. I buy it from the store online and it's in my room that night.

Water is not necessarily provided by the ocean. While the ship can make water, it does take it on at the home port.

I order a case just for the convenience.

Water produced onboard has a salt content of no more than 20ppm (and much of it is distilled water, at 0ppm), and 20ppm is just at the threshold for those who need a low sodium content. Comparing this to various municipal water supplies where the ships load water, NYC 30-70ppm, Miami 30-50ppm. So, any high sodium content comes from the municipal water.

I've heard of the water in New Orleans not tasting too good, and Galveston water isn't great either, so that can give the water some taste issues. If you get water from the dining venues, or the bars, that water has an additional carbon filter to remove the chlorine from the water, and most folks report the water there tastes better than the cabin sink.

I have no problem drinking the water on the ship, but we still order the water package. This way, we can take a bottle with us on excursions. I also like to have one to take my medications first thing when I wake up. We tend to use the glasses in the bathroom to hold toothpaste tubes, razors, emery boards, etc.

The water is fine, and is used in your food, beverages and ice. There's no need to buy water. If you feel the need to take water ashore, you can use a refillable bottle, or simply buy a bottle in port...they all sell water!

The water from your sink is fine, but it won't "run cold"...ever! You will need to request ice from your cabin attendant so you can plop a few cubes in to cool your water!

We always buy a case of water from the FunShops (it's dirt cheap on Carnival, but you'd think it had gold in it with what NCL charges). I've never had "bad" tap water on any cruise I've taken; besides, ice is made from ship's water, the kitchen uses it to cook, we use it to brush our teeth, and we bathe in it. It can't be that bad! But we get the case just for convenience -- toss bottles in the fridge in the morning and you have cold water after excursions or before bed.

I do not like the taste of the water on any cruise ship I have been on yet, but living in the mountains and having been on well water my entire life, I also do not care for the water in most municipalities, so I think it is all about what you are used to. To me, the water on a cruise ship tastes very similar to the treated water of a lowland city. My guess is that the process is very similar or as one poster suggested, they are pumping it onboard at those coastal stops.