New to luxury cruising

Lmm79

I agree that the Regent brochure is a bit over the top. But I guess it’s a marketing strategy. For example under pool attendant it actually states that the attendant will clean your sunglasses for you. Lol

We are first timers expecting high quality meals and a well run ship.

We have been cruising for twenty years and the mass market lines food and service has declined greatly. We understand that marketing strategy also, they need a price point to fill the mega ships.

Based on the comments from our CC friends I’m confident that Regent will deliver a wonderful cruise product.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are younger and more into laid back sophistication with European flare, avoid Regent. Go with SeaDream instead. It’s much more fun and more exclusive. With an almost 1 to 1 crew to staff ratio, only just over 100 fellow guests it has a wonderful club-like atmosphere which makes it yachting not cruising. Besides that you get better food, the opportunity to dine al fresco for every meal, the famous caviar splash and the opportunity to use the platform at the stern of the ship to indulge in motorised water sports. SeaDream also can go to smaller ports which aren’t infested with thousands of cruise passengers.

The best thing about SeaDream is that it encourages you, if you want, to mix with your fellow passengers, who are a cosmopolitan bunch of very well travelled and cultured people from lots of different countries.

There is a term in contract law that aptly describes the language in the brochures: "mere puffery." Mere puffery is not contractually binding because it is understood (or should be understood) by all to an exaggeration in order to sell something. Puffery is characterized by lots of vague adjectives. Contrast this with a factual statement, which might give rise to a contractual obligation. So, "pinnacles of elegance and grace" is puffery. "Free laundry" obligates the ship to provide laundry for free (once you pay your fare, of course).

I know, self-evident. But, hey, it's one of the few things I remember from first year of law school, so I thought I'd use it.

If you are younger and more into laid back sophistication with European flare, avoid Regent. Go with SeaDream instead..

I've long been tempted by SeaDream, but I get the sense that it is very couples oriented. Is that the case?