Dream VS Sunshine?????

Pros-cons for either ship?? Looking at the 8 day on the Sunshine or the 7 day out of New Orleans. Is 1 more up to date, have more of the upgrades etc? Thanks!

We've sailed both. I liked the Dream better than the Sunshine. Sunshine was refurbished from the Destiny. They took over a good bit of public area for additional cabins. It feels crowded to me.

That being said, I'd almost ALWAYS pick an 8 day over a 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have always prefered the Dream Class Ships. Been on the Dreams sister ship the Breeze and loved the ship and this class of ship. Was on Sunshine when she was the Destiny and before the renovation. I too felt crowded and they increased the passenger load by over 300 and took more public space away to add enhancement and increase the Serenity area.

Sunshine 892 ft; 102,000 tons; 3000 passengers

Breeze 1002 ft; 130,000 tons; 3690 passengers

Lastly...more public space on the Breeze as they utilize the walk around Promenade deck for outside seating/eating and there are hot tubs on this deck as well

• 2 months later...

I've been on both. I actually prefer the Sunshine over the Dream. I didn't find it any more crowded than any other ship. One thing that some people don't like is when you have My Time Dining, you go to deck 5 to put your name down and then go downstairs to the dining room when your table is ready. We always have assigned dining, so that didn't affect us. I like all the food options on the Sunshine. The Serenity Deck is wonderful. I like the Dream, but I enjoyed myself more on the Sunshine.

I've sailed the Dream twice and preparing for 2nd Sunshine cruise.

1. When are you sailing? Makes a difference because too many kids makes the Sunshine not fun.

2. The Dream has a MUCH nicer spa area. Are you thinking about a spa room? I love the spa rooms. Done it on Dream - didn't think I would do on Sunshine after a tour but doing a spa room in May. I like the spa bonuses.

3. 8 day vs 7 days - I'm guessing the Sunshine has better ports - I am looking forward to my 8 day cruise for the ports!

4. The layout of the Sunshine becomes problematic around 10-11 pm when teens/20s are looking for food - by the pizza area. Pizza area is inside so the floor becomes slick from wet feet/swimsuits.

5. Sunshine has the awesome Havana bar area which also has the Havana snacks.

6. Who is the CD? Sometimes that makes a difference if you have had a bad one.

7. I personally did not like sailing from NOLA, I didn't like the Mississippi - very rocky and I get sea sick!:fever:

8. I would choose Breeze or Magic over Dream. For some reason - the Named class ship always gets the worst of it since it's first so it improves with the next ships.

9. Dream has the Tandoor at lunch

10. Both have Bonsai Sushi & Mongolian Wok.

11. Dream has 10 Whirlpools! Compared to Sunshine's 3!

12. Both have Serenity but Sunshine has the best Serenity deck.

I don't think you can go wrong. I usually weigh 1. Date 2. Price 3. Ports 4. Transportation costs when I pick mine.

• 3 weeks later...

We have sailed on many Carnival ships including the Dream and the Sunshine. We like the Sunshine better because of the following:

1. Water park is located in back of ship and has three slides so the line moves faster.

2. Main area seems smaller, but in reality the deck has been renovated into seven terraces. Love this layout.

3. The Serenity area over looks the main pool area, plus it has its own pool and water fall. Very Nice.

Cheers....

We sailed the Dream in 2016, and the Sunshine last February. Both great ships. We liked the Sunshine ports more (Aruba/Curacao/Grand Turk) than the Dream ports (Jamaica/Cayman/Cozumel). The decor of the Dream seemed a little more glitzy. The Serenity on the Sunshine is much nicer, but I preferred the slides on the Dream (love the Drainpipe :-) ) The Sunshine has the Red Frog Pub which is a nice place just off the Ocean Plaza. The Dream's Ocean Plaza is bigger, with access on either side to the Lanai. The Sunshine buffet is set up better than the Dreams, with different stations for salad, bread, entree, desert etc. The Dream buffet is set up cafeteria style - you get in the end of the line, and s-l-o-w-l-y walk down the serving area, waiting for everyone in front of you to decide what they want (what would you call road rage in a buffet?). Mini-golf is much better on the Dream. Bottom line - I'd book either ship again :-)

I have sailed the Breeze, a few conquest class ships, the Legend, and I write this from the Havana bar on the Sunshine.

I would gladly sail a Dream class boat again. But I will not be sailing the Sunshine again.

Half the ship reeks of sewage. Years ago I read the horror stories on these boards and figured they would have had ample time to fix it. Not so much.

Most cabins on the Sunshine, including ours, do not have mini fridges. Storage is limited compared to the newer boats, and our 4 pax cabin 1496 does not have a bunk, so our 10yo is in a cot on the floor.

The Sunshine doesn't have the horrible bent prop waggle that the conquest ships suffer from, and it doesn't roll much at all, but it does pitch quite a bit in 6-10 foot seas (like 15+ feet at the bow) so book a center cabin down low if you're susceptibly squeamish.

The comedy club and main theater are tiny for a 3000 pax ship, so get in line early or you'll be SRO at best or SOL at worst. And standing in line for comedy puts you smack dab in the middle of the aforementioned sewer stink, which runs most of the length of decks 3 and 4.

Any time dining now requires a sign in, which can add an hour to your "any" as it did twice for us. I blame the kitchen.

On the plus side, the hotel service is fabulous on this boat: cabin, dining, and entertainment staff are all top shelf. Smiles everywhere make up for most of the negatives.

Food quality in the Sunrise dining room is fantastic. 4 sea day brunches of steak and eggs yielded four perfectly cooked filet mignon and eight perfect eggs... something I have never seen done so well, including by myself in my own kitchen.

The social area of the lido pool on the Sunshine is small, so always crowded. But the Serenity deck is huge in comparison.

Bottom line: the Sunshine has its pluses and a huge minus. There is better out there.