Recommended Ports

macaroni

just curious what people’s favorite ports were in both Australia and New Zealand? We don’t just want to get off and walk around the port..want to get the most of the scenery.
If that is your priority, my advice is not to try to do it from a cruise. The majority of the things to see in both countries - particularly New Zealand's scenery - are not best done from a ship.

I know.. but my group of friends want to cruise it...so would like ports that will offer more sites....as well, we will try to add land time at the beginning or end....what inland areas would be good pre or post cruise?

... we will try to add land time at the beginning or end....what inland areas would be good pre or post cruise?
My first suggestion would be to add 7-10 days for the South Island - I'd allocate time to Queenstown and surrounding areas, Wanaka, and Mount Cook and surrounding areas.

+1 Globaliser’s suggestion that you do a land-based tour if you really want to see both countries. What you can see during a port visit at any of the ports in Australia and NZ will be minimal (and not particularly scenic). But, it looks like you are set on the cruise option + some land time.

Having been to NZ many times and having lived in Australia for a few years, I’d also recommend spending 7-10 days on the South Island. For Australia, I’d devote at least 2 weeks with a maximum of 3 destinations. Possible destinations for great scenery would include Far North Queensland (Cairns/Port Douglas) for the GBR and Daintree Rainforest, Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road, Tasmania, and the Red Center (Uluru/Kings Canyon/Alice Springs). If the cruise were from May - October, I’d also add the Top End of the Northern Territory (Darwin, Litchfield, Kakadu and Katherine) to the list. And, of course, more time in and around Sydney (e.g. the Blue Mountains) is a must.

just curious what people’s favorite ports were in both Australia and New Zealand? We don’t just want to get off and walk around the port..want to get the most of the scenery...thanks!

From Tauranga go to Rotorua. The geysers are amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruise the sounds in NZ. Akaroa is a beautiful port with some glorious scenery in its environs. From Port Chalmers you can take the Taieri Gorge train which is terrific. In Australia cruising up the Queensland coast and around to Darwin (avoid summer) has some lovely scenery as you cruise as well as ports that can access the Great Barrier Reef. Cairns has the Kurandra rail trip and cable car which is enjoyable. Sailing into or out of Sydney Harbour is an experience by itself.