Oceania propaganda

stag

I have been receiving propaganda from Oceania a few times a week for years. Quite often, the identical material was sent to me and my wife in separate posts multiple times with different reference codes. These propaganda are very annoying not only because I can get the same or better information electronically, but also cost Oceania several dollars per brochure to print and mail. That is over $1,000 per year for many years. If you multiply by many thousands of passengers, that is many million dollars. These propaganda costs eventually would be added to our cruise cost.

I have notified Oceania many times, by phone and by email, not to send us anything. Yet these brochures still come week after week and year after year. We don't open them but just throw to the recycle bin. We decide not to look Oceania cruise until they stop sending us junk. Any other ideas?

Interesting..... I have exactly the opposite happening. I haven’t received a Oceania brochure in months. I’ve never requested they stop sending them to us, they simply stopped coming. I was beginning to think that they may have finally stopped sending them as a cost cutting measure but I guess not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, they just suddenly stopped coming here too! It is strange. I was fed up with the over-frequent arrivals, several times a week, but I wouldn’t have minded one every couple of months. Seems to be all or nothing, but no rhyme or reason to it! I still get frequent emails though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oceania is a business—does anyone think the frequent mailings would continue year after year if they weren't a cost-effective part of their marketing plan? I get lots of O brochures, too; most I toss, but sometimes I like looking at itineraries or other information on the printed page rather than online. It's nice to have a choice.

Oceania is a business—does anyone think the frequent mailings would continue year after year if they weren't a cost-effective part of their marketing plan?

I still get several each week, but I agree with you....if it weren't a profitable method to fill ships, it wouldn't be done.

Stag also has a very inflated view of the cost of printing and mailing those brochures.

It is counter-intuitive to think this way, but the cost of both of those items (i.e. printing & mailing) goes down significantly as volume is increased.

For good or bad, our government, through taxation policy, subsidizes such things in the interest of expanding the economy.

Ever wonder how a Broadway show can afford to run commercials :confused:

Is it just me who objects to the word propaganda used instead of advertising or brochures? Propaganda is a political not a commercial term.

Never mind. I do not want to start an avalanche of definitions and opinions, just wanted to get it off my chest. ;-)

Is it just me who objects to the word propaganda used instead of advertising or brochures? Propaganda is a political not a commercial term.

Never mind. I do not want to start an avalanche of definitions and opinions, just wanted to get it off my chest. ;-)

LOL... Exactly what I thought when OP first posted. Then I decided not to say anything also but, just couldn't stop myself as I just wanted to let you know you were not the only one :D

Yes, it’s a ridiculous term and completely out of context in this case.

I hate to admit it, but we are one of those couples O successfully targets with their brochures. We would get their brochures in the mail, see all those great itineraries and remember how wonderful a time we had on our first Riviera cruise. On the other hand the Viking brochures go straight into the trash. :D

I have been receiving propaganda from Oceania a few times a week for years. Quite often, the identical material was sent to me and my wife in separate posts multiple times with different reference codes. These propaganda are very annoying not only because I can get the same or better information electronically, but also cost Oceania several dollars per brochure to print and mail. That is over $1,000 per year for many years. If you multiply by many thousands of passengers, that is many million dollars. These propaganda costs eventually would be added to our cruise cost.

I have notified Oceania many times, by phone and by email, not to send us anything. Yet these brochures still come week after week and year after year. We don't open them but just throw to the recycle bin. We decide not to look Oceania cruise until they stop sending us junk. Any other ideas?

Sorry but the profit that is earned from these direct mails far outweighs their cost.many times Many of the mailings are paid for by your agent ( the code is be able to track who you book with or through)

Your bailing against the tide...and shooting your self in the foot for something that they are profitably doing.... Or they would not be doing it !!!

I agree that the term "propaganda" is a poor choice....very negative connotation. Their marketing advertisements seem excessive, IMHO, but if it helps their bottom line then I'm OK since I'm a stockholder! :D

I used to read a newspaper every day and there were stores and company's that had full page ad's always. Was that excessive? They did not think so. I would agree with them. Needed to keep their name and product out front all the time and that is what Oceania is doing. I am sure it works for them.

I used to read a newspaper every day and there were stores and company's that had full page ad's always. Was that excessive? They did not think so. I would agree with them. Needed to keep their name and product out front all the time and that is what Oceania is doing. I am sure it works for them.

O isn't the only one....I get plenty of mailings from Regent, Crystal, Princess, and Seabourn. Occasionally look at some lovely pictures, then into the recycle bin. ;p

Very true. We have cruised pretty much exclusively on O for a number of years, but had one on NCL in 2010, a couple on Cunard when the QE2 was still in the fleet, three Viking river boat cruises (the last one in 2012) ... but we get lots of brochures and emails from Regent, and other lines ... We've never booked on those lines but the offers keep on coming.

Mura

If you go into your O online profile you can shut off paper brochure mailings. We did and it worked!

I'm in my profile, but all I can do is edit my name, address, phone, birthday, email and password. Under Account Overview, you can order a brochure or uncheck that you want email notices. But I don't see anywhere to unsubscribe to the brochures.

Please be more specific with the exact instructions as to where on the Profile it is possible to stop the brochures. Thx!

I'm in my profile, but all I can do is edit my name, address, phone, birthday, email and password. Under Account Overview, you can order a brochure or uncheck that you want email notices. But I don't see anywhere to unsubscribe to the brochures.

Please be more specific with the exact instructions as to where on the Profile it is possible to stop the brochures. Thx!

I agree I do not see that option either

You can try this link then in the pull down menu select the option you want

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/changeofaddress/

I ended up asking my TA to intervene so far no brochures for quite a while now