Zeebrugge to Bruges

vicken70

It'very easy! From the ship you take the free shuttle provided by the Port to the entrance.From there walking to the right til the Church (that is on the other side of the road) on your side you find a little supermarket where you by the tickets to Blankenberg, for the Costal Tram. this ticket is valid also in Brugges for the buses to the center (Market..)and back 6€ :Day ticket.At the Station you by your tickets to Brugges and back.(there is a special ofer for cruisers, 5€)The trains run avery hour and the raid is about 13 min.

We did that on September 2017.

Yes, ships' "Bruges on your own" is usually over-priced :rolleyes:

As the Bat's post, most independents take the train from Blankenberge (note the spelling, "Blankenberg" is deep in Germany). But instead of the tram, you might find it quicker to take the payable shuttle to Blankenberge station offered by most cruise lines .

Or there's also the alternative of booking a taxi from ship to Bruges. Again over-priced at €50 e/w but most carry 5 - 6 passengers.

Get the driver to drop you at Grotemarkt, right in the cobbled centre of Bruges, and agree a time to be collected at the end of the day.

Bruges station is a 10 - 15 minute walk from the centre. Ditto the drop-point for ships' buses at Minnewater - they're not permitted in the centre.

JB :)

We were to Zeebruge to to Bruges it is so easy. Buy a transfer pass on Visitor.com then print out pass get off the ship take the buds from ship to main gate. Follow directions on the voucher turn right at gate walk 50 yards turn in voucher for pass and get on bus. Then they will tell you where to pick up a bus to city center for a small fee or just walk. We walked to city center taking pictures of streets to remember way back, but chose teak city bus to return to the transfer site. The drivers know what your talking about when you tell them transfer to cruise ship in Zeebruge. Cheaper than a taxi have a great day.

At £18 return, the Viator bus is more expensive than the train though.

When we went by train a few years ago the return fare was only 5.40 euros weekdays and I think 3.40 Euros at the weekend. (I expect it might be slightly dearer now). The journey is only 11 minutes.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Bruges/Return-Cruise-Shuttle-Service-from-Zeebrugge-to-Bruges/d4836-22540P1

We had a shipboard credit so we took Celebrity's "On Your Own" excursion. It was a mistake. The tour was nice but much too short. We would have had more time had we used other transportation options. Bruges was one of our favorite ports but we rushed through it.

We used

www.cruise-express.be/

The port has a 2 minute shuttle to the gate where you pick up the bus, less than half the price of the ship tour and drops you off in the same place. Also a lot less crowded than the train

That privately-operated "Bruges on your own" started up since our last visit.

It does sound like a good alternative to the train.

One problem with the train is that it only runs hourly and because of the need to rely on port-shuttle+tram, or ship's shuttle, to get to the station it's not possible to get there at the optimum time. If you arrive at the station ten mins before the train is due to go, that's wonderful. But Sod's Law says you'll get there five minutes after the train has left, losing you almost an hour.

What are the arrangements & frequency of that bus service?

Do you have to pre-book? If through the Viator booking agency it's pay-with-booking, so a risk if the ship doesn't make port etc.

If it's a full-size bus/coach presumably the drop point in Bruges has to be by the coach park, at the little red bridge and a 15 min walk to the centre, same as ships' transfers.

(the walk from the rail station is about the same time/distance)

In May, 2017 we were docked in Zeebruge. We took the free shuttle to the port entrance. We had read that the train and bus drop you at the edge of the central city. We shared a taxi with another couple. I think the taxi was 40 euros each way, The taxi dropped us at the central square. We spent a great day walking around town, doing the canal tour and eating a great lunch. We walked back to the taxi stand, and caught a cab back to the port entrance. Doing the taxi worked out to 20 euros per person and we were dropped in the center of the city.

That privately-operated "Bruges on your own" started up since our last visit.

It does sound like a good alternative to the train.

One problem with the train is that it only runs hourly and because of the need to rely on port-shuttle+tram, or ship's shuttle, to get to the station it's not possible to get there at the optimum time. If you arrive at the station ten mins before the train is due to go, that's wonderful. But Sod's Law says you'll get there five minutes after the train has left, losing you almost an hour.

What are the arrangements & frequency of that bus service?

Do you have to pre-book? If through the Viator booking agency it's pay-with-booking, so a risk if the ship doesn't make port etc.

If it's a full-size bus/coach presumably the drop point in Bruges has to be by the coach park, at the little red bridge and a 15 min walk to the centre, same as ships' transfers.

(the walk from the rail station is about the same time/distance)

It can be booked direct on the website I quoted JB but I told other people on our cruise about it and they just turned up on the day and paid their €20. There's a little gazebo where they're selling tickets to the right of the main gate. They say it goes at least every half an hour but we were the only ship when we were there. Maybe as it gets more well known and when you can actually walk to the gate yourself, its popularity will increase so it will be more frequent. It certainly was preferable to the hourly service on the train. The dropping off point is exactly as you described and we had a P&O coach next to us.

It can be booked direct on the website I quoted JB but I told other people on our cruise about it and they just turned up on the day and paid their €20. There's a little gazebo where they're selling tickets to the right of the main gate. They say it goes at least every half an hour but we were the only ship when we were there. Maybe as it gets more well known and when you can actually walk to the gate yourself, its popularity will increase so it will be more frequent. It certainly was preferable to the hourly service on the train. The dropping off point is exactly as you described and we had a P&O coach next to us.

We booked with Rony last June, 50 euros each way for an 8 seater van. We took the shuttle to the cruise port entrance where the van was waiting for us, on the return they picked us up at Bruges at the agreed time and place. You pay each trip in cash separately, we didn't wait and it worked just fine.

Rony's Taxi's bvba <rony@ronystaxis.com

Have used Rony's Taxi twice, in 2013 and 2016. Got three other couples to join us from our roll call. The taxi met us at the port gate and took us directly to the main center in Bruge. No walking in to the town center from the bus parking area. We all went our separate ways and met up again at the appointed time and place. Taxi arrived right on time and we were back at the ship in no time. Can't go wrong with Rony's

<<<Karen>>>

When we were there this summer, they had tour buses right at the ship's dock that offered R/T transport. It was like 20 Euros/person I think, definitely cheaper than any excursion price. The bus dropped us off at the edge of town, by the train station parking lot and we just walked right into town. I actually bought one of those pocket size tour books from our local half-price bookstore and it was perfect. It gave us many things and ideas to see, plus I looked before we went. We saw a ton of things. Then when we were done, we walked back to the station where they had buses waiting, I think they left like every 30 minutes. We spent probably 8-10 hours there. And we got there pretty much when the city was just walking up, so it was still pretty quiet, it was one of my favorite stops!

When we were there this summer, they had tour buses right at the ship's dock that offered R/T transport. It was like 20 Euros/person I think, definitely cheaper than any excursion price. The bus dropped us off at the edge of town, by the train station parking lot and we just walked right into town. I actually bought one of those pocket size tour books from our local half-price bookstore and it was perfect. It gave us many things and ideas to see, plus I looked before we went. We saw a ton of things. Then when we were done, we walked back to the station where they had buses waiting, I think they left like every 30 minutes. We spent probably 8-10 hours there. And we got there pretty much when the city was just walking up, so it was still pretty quiet, it was one of my favorite stops!

When you say ship's dock, are you talking about actually next to the docked ship or outside the port entrance?

thanks for the info as I am looking at the best way to get to Bruges without paying a fortune. <grin >

When you say ship's dock, are you talking about actually next to the docked ship or outside the port entrance?

thanks for the info as I am looking at the best way to get to Bruges without paying a fortune. <grin >

Right next to the ship. They had several tour buses parked there with people selling the tickets. I know I had read prior to going that you typically had to go outside the port gates to get transportation, like taxis. So this was really convenient.

Right next to the ship. They had several tour buses parked there with people selling the tickets. I know I had read prior to going that you typically had to go outside the port gates to get transportation, like taxis. So this was really convenient.

We were in Zeebrugge June 2017 and had to take the port shuttle to and from the cruise terminal gates. Takes just a couple of minutes but you may have to wait 5-10 minutes if the bus just left.

Maybe some ships dock close to the gates, in which case you just walk out.

My wife and I took the shuttle to the port gate and walked to the right about half a km where there is a small store that sells tickets for the coastal tram. We boarded the tram at the Kirk stop close by in the direction of De Panne and rode a short distance to Blankenberg - couple of stops - sorry I don't remember the name of the stop, but ask advice when buying tickets. Walked to tourist info centre in Blankenberg and caught the bus to Brugges. Seem to recall all day ticket good on tram and bus was about 6 Euros.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

We were in Zeebrugge June 2017 and had to take the port shuttle to and from the cruise terminal gates. Takes just a couple of minutes but you may have to wait 5-10 minutes if the bus just left.

Maybe some ships dock close to the gates, in which case you just walk out.

Interesting, we were also there in June of 2017 and the shuttle buses were right next to the ship. And it was still like a 5 minute drive to the gates. So obviously it changes, although don't know why! LOL!

• 2 months later...
It'very easy! From the ship you take the free shuttle provided by the Port to the entrance.From there walking to the right til the Church (that is on the other side of the road) on your side you find a little supermarket where you by the tickets to Blankenberg, for the Costal Tram. this ticket is valid also in Brugges for the buses to the center (Market..)and back 6€ :Day ticket.At the Station you by your tickets to Brugges and back.(there is a special ofer for cruisers, 5€)The trains run avery hour and the raid is about 13 min.

We did that on September 2017.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do they take US dollars?

Does anyone know how crowded the every 30 minutes shuttles are? If you are planning your back on board time for your ship, is it possible/likely that there may be more people waiting than can fit on a shuttle? Does that mean waiting another 30 minutes? Not that I would wait so late that I would risk missing the ship, but do I need to add extra "extra" time to my schedule?

• 3 weeks later...

If you pay on the day can you use a credit card or is it cash only?