Spinning Plates

JayDeeJay

No, not that guy on Ed Sullivan frantically spinning 12 plates on long sticks while “Ritual Fire Dance” wails in the background - I mean MY spinning plate in the MDR ! Without table cloths on formica table tops, the heavy plates with a high point underneath spins away from the assault when I go to either stab or slice something, so it’s not that the lack of table cloths offends my delicate sense of decorum (I drank beer out of a camp skillet for lack of options - the other choice was my hiking boot) - I simply find it annoying to chase a chicken leg around and around. I’ve found that if I put my napkin under the plate that stops the spinning and I just ask for another napkin. I really hope there’s enough displeasure expressed by paying customers that Carnival will relent and put the table cloths back . . . . . . . please???

I think I've only dined in one restaurant in the last year with a tablecloth (I eat out at least four times a week, so we're talking a significant number of restaurants) and have never experienced a problem with the plate spinning.

I am able to control my plate, as well as my knife and fork. Maybe you can ask for an extra napkin to be placed under your plate to assist you? If that's not available the waiter or a table mate may cut your food up into bite size portions, if you ask.

I am not bothered by no table cloths. Was taken aback when i first saw it== was not a big deal.

Cuts down on costs for laundry-- plus it alleviates the added germs (noravirus)

Just wondering for all the complaints, do you realize how much labor and how many resources go into: washing, drying, pressing tablecloths, plus storing them plus placing them on tables plus removing them from tables? I mean seriously - every night on every table on every cruise ship? That is an incredible amount of waste to me personally.

Just wondering for all the complaints, do you realize how much labor and how many resources go into: washing, drying, pressing tablecloths, plus storing them plus placing them on tables plus removing them from tables? I mean seriously - every night on every table on every cruise ship? That is an incredible amount of waste to me personally.

And twice a night for that matter. Maybe even more for ytd, I'm not sure how many times they turn the tables over there per night.

Edited by Lottacruises

No, not that guy on Ed Sullivan frantically spinning 12 plates on long sticks while “Ritual Fire Dance” wails in the background - I mean MY spinning plate in the MDR ! Without table cloths on formica table tops, the heavy plates with a high point underneath spins away from the assault when I go to either stab or slice something, so it’s not that the lack of table cloths offends my delicate sense of decorum (I drank beer out of a camp skillet for lack of options - the other choice was my hiking boot) - I simply find it annoying to chase a chicken leg around and around. I’ve found that if I put my napkin under the plate that stops the spinning and I just ask for another napkin. I really hope there’s enough displeasure expressed by paying customers that Carnival will relent and put the table cloths back . . . . . . . please???

Do you also tuck a napkin into your shirt collar? Carnival taketh away & generally doesn't giveth back. I have sailed on 17 different Carnival ships and never had a spinning plate problem.

Edited by Garth2

My great grandmother used tablecloths at Christmas. That's the only time in my life I think I have ever used a tablecloth. I know we don't own one, my parents don't own one, and my grandmother MAY own one that she puts out at the holidays, I can't recall. I also don't think I have ever eaten at a restaurant with a tablecloth. I've never once had my plate slide away from me, and I typically order steak wherever I go.

I guess I will never understand the obsession over the tablecloths or lack thereof. Hasn't had a bearing on control of my plate or food, and it hasn't diminished the quality of my dining experience in the MDR. But I kind of tend to go with the flow....especially on vacation.

I am able to control my plate, as well as my knife and fork. Maybe you can ask for an extra napkin to be placed under your plate to assist you? If that's not available the waiter or a table mate may cut your food up into bite size portions, if you ask.

Hi

You didn't actually read the OP's post, did you?

To the OP...there is no question that this move (it has been a few years now) was done to save time and money. If you need to use an extra napkin to stabilize your plate, I am sure they will be happy to supply you with an extra one, rather than wash those tablecloths. As also mentioned, most people are able to manage eating the food on their plate without incidence.

Is this a serious post? I just find it ironic that a guy who doesn't know how to eat without his plate spinning is offended by the lack of table cloths. For the record, I just ate five nights worth of tablecloth free meals in the Splendor MDR, and never once had to chase my plate across the table. Good grief.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Hi

To the OP...there is no question that this move (it has been a few years now) was done to save time and money. If you need to use an extra napkin to stabilize your plate, I am sure they will be happy to supply you with an extra one, rather than wash those tablecloths. As also mentioned, most people are able to manage eating the food on their plate without incidence.

No, I stopped.

Hi

Now I see you didn't either as he speaks of the extra napkin already....lol

I was under the impression that there was an early seating and a late seating. My bad....

No you're right. When they had tablecloths on the tables all the time there were in fact 2 changes. Once after first sitting and once after second. They had to set the tables after the second sitting for breakfast.

No you're right. When they had tablecloths on the tables all the time there were in fact 2 changes. Once after first sitting and once after second. They had to set the tables after the second sitting for breakfast.

Thanks, thought I was losing it for a minute

Sadly lack of a tablecloth fits right in with the dress of the clientele on Carnival ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Tablecloths have nothing to do with clientele. Again, some fine dining establishments do not use tablecloths. This whole tablecloth thing must be a Carnival thing, never heard anyone ever discuss this.

Booo!!!!

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app