Which port are DIY vs private excursion preferable

Hi

We are travelling on the Royal Princess British Isles Cruise this summer.

I generally book private cars to take us around because we like the flexibility - we have 2 kids ages 6 and 14.

There are so many ports on this cruise I am getting dizzy with choice.

I figure that we can do it ourselves in:

Guernsey

Dublin

Edinburgh

We have tours booked for

Southampton to go to Stonehenge

Cork

Liverpool - yeah Beatles!

Belfast

We are still debating on:

Invergordon

Edinburgh

Glasgow

Your suggestions are welcome

Thanks

Cinda

Invergordon - yes; whether you want to see sights like Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness and Clava Cairns et al or head further north into the highlands to Dunrobin Castle and their falconry show et al, the most interesting sites are not easily accessible by public transportation

Edinburgh - no; the Royal Mile is easy to get to (and I understand it's even easier with the new shuttle); the only popular site that might interest the kids that's further out is the Royal Yacht Britannia, and that's linked by buses (including one of the HoHo routes)

Greenock/Glasgow - it depends what you want to see? did you want to head to the Trossachs and Luss and Loch Lomond and such? or did you want to head into the city?

ETA: Tom's Port Guides has a Greenock pdf if you're unsure what you'd like to do:

https://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/greenock_scotland-08-28-2012.pdf

Edited by trosebery

Greenock/Glasgow-we are DIY via train to Sitrling castle. looks fairly easy. There is a 9:38 train from Greenock Central that changes stations in Glasgow. Train schedule/ticket includes bus trasnfer to the other Galsgow station, but we plan to just walk.

Invergordon--we spent much time researching this port. not that easy to DIY. book a tour. there are several reasonably priced group tours online, or book a private taxi tour for about 50 gbp per hour. I was told taxis are 4 hour minimum from the port.

Edited by elaine5

Glasgow was easy with the hop-on/hop-off bus. We took the train from Greenock. You can buy a package that includes the train ticket and HoHo bus.

We enjoyed our tour from Invergordon to Urquhart Castle, Loch Ness boat cruise, Clava Cairns, and Cawdor Castle.

• 2 months later...
Hi

We are travelling on the Royal Princess British Isles Cruise this summer.

I generally book private cars to take us around because we like the flexibility - we have 2 kids ages 6 and 14.

There are so many ports on this cruise I am getting dizzy with choice.

I figure that we can do it ourselves in:

Guernsey

Dublin

Edinburgh

We have tours booked for

Southampton to go to Stonehenge

Cork

Liverpool - yeah Beatles!

Belfast

We are still debating on:

Invergordon

Edinburgh

Glasgow

Your suggestions are welcome

Thanks

Cinda

Hello I'm travelling with my 6 years old son british isle cruise with princess on july 24th and I'm still looking for some tours/excrusions to book ''or not''

We booked stonehenge at the end of the cruise

and plan to book lochness in inverness

Looking for some excursion in glasgow

I think I will diy in cobh/cork, Dublin and Edimbourg

I really didn,t fix my mind for Belfast and Le Havre... still looking

Did you sailed already? Wich tours did you book and enjoyed (or not recommend)?

Thank you Annie

I'd say Edinburgh is a DIY port and I'd be happy to help you plan your day if you tell me what kind of thing you're interested in. Edinburgh is a compact walkable city and if you pre-book your transport into the centre from SQ it's even easier. The shuttle bus is also excellent though and only £6 round trip

Yes you can DIY in Guernsey, but I would not necessarily recommend this. There are many excellent places to see outside of the main town including the Little Chapel, the German Occupation Museum and various gun bunkers and trenches to walk through. If you can’t find a private tour, you may wish to consider hiring a car, and then separately to hire a guide to accompany you so that you would get to see everywhere without getting lost, and also beat the tour buses to the top attractions. Please be aware that driving in Guernsey involves small roads.

If you have any specific questions on Guernsey please feel free to post and I will try to help.

Hi Anne, we are on the same cruise if you are leaving from Le Havre.

We booked stonehenge/salsbury with the cruise company.

For Liverpool - we booked the Fab Four Taxi ride which is a 3 hour guided tour of all things Beatles. We will do either the Tate Museum or the Maritime Museum which are close to the port on our own.

Guernsay we will do on our own.

Glasgow I have booked a guide to take us to Stirling Castle and the national park as well as a museum in the City

Inverness I have booked a guide to take us to Urquhart Castle / Loch Ness via Jacobite cruise

Edinburgh we will do on our own. There is a bus that takes cruise passengers to the City relatively inexpensively. I did get the Scotland Explorer pass which is cheaper than paying entrance into 2 castles and allows us to have access to castles for 3 days out of 5 which works great for us. This will allow us to bypass lines. You may want to consider it.

For Ireland

We have booked guides for Cork - to take us to the Castle, the Fort and the City of Cork.

Belfast is also a tour which will take us to the Giant's Causeway and the ric a rak rope thingy. He has some other stops for us and then will take us into Belfast to see the murals.

For Dublin we will do this ourselves. I understand that Princess offers a shuttle into the city for $8. It isn't on their site but a number of people have said this happens.

When we land in Le Havre we have booked a guide to take us to Juno beach etc. This same guide will drive us to the airport the next day!

We are spending some time in Paris in advance of the trip.

I do hope that the Air France pilots do not strike because we are flying air france.

Best,

Cinda

I'd say Edinburgh is a DIY port and I'd be happy to help you plan your day if you tell me what kind of thing you're interested in. Edinburgh is a compact walkable city and if you pre-book your transport into the centre from SQ it's even easier. The shuttle bus is also excellent though and only £6 round trip

Hi And thank you.

we have purchased the Scotland Explorer Pass so that should help with the lines at Edinburgh castle. What would you say are the must dos in Edinburgh. We have 2 kids - a 6 year old and a 14 year old. We love art, Do you have any recommendations for places to eat? I heard there is a restaurant in the castle. Is it worth it?

Yes you can DIY in Guernsey, but I would not necessarily recommend this. There are many excellent places to see outside of the main town including the Little Chapel, the German Occupation Museum and various gun bunkers and trenches to walk through. If you can’t find a private tour, you may wish to consider hiring a car, and then separately to hire a guide to accompany you so that you would get to see everywhere without getting lost, and also beat the tour buses to the top attractions. Please be aware that driving in Guernsey involves small roads.

If you have any specific questions on Guernsey please feel free to post and I will try to help.

Hi and thank you. We were going to do the local bus in Guernsey. It didn't look all that complicated. Thoughts? The Island looks very charming. Do you have any suggestions on a nice lunch venue?

Hi Anne, we are on the same cruise if you are leaving from Le Havre.

We booked stonehenge/salsbury with the cruise company.

For Liverpool - we booked the Fab Four Taxi ride which is a 3 hour guided tour of all things Beatles. We will do either the Tate Museum or the Maritime Museum which are close to the port on our own.

Guernsay we will do on our own.

Glasgow I have booked a guide to take us to Stirling Castle and the national park as well as a museum in the City

Inverness I have booked a guide to take us to Urquhart Castle / Loch Ness via Jacobite cruise

Edinburgh we will do on our own. There is a bus that takes cruise passengers to the City relatively inexpensively. I did get the Scotland Explorer pass which is cheaper than paying entrance into 2 castles and allows us to have access to castles for 3 days out of 5 which works great for us. This will allow us to bypass lines. You may want to consider it.

For Ireland

We have booked guides for Cork - to take us to the Castle, the Fort and the City of Cork.

Belfast is also a tour which will take us to the Giant's Causeway and the ric a rak rope thingy. He has some other stops for us and then will take us into Belfast to see the murals.

For Dublin we will do this ourselves. I understand that Princess offers a shuttle into the city for $8. It isn't on their site but a number of people have said this happens.

When we land in Le Havre we have booked a guide to take us to Juno beach etc. This same guide will drive us to the airport the next day!

We are spending some time in Paris in advance of the trip.

I do hope that the Air France pilots do not strike because we are flying air france.

Best,

Cinda

We will join you in southampton on july 24th! I fly from Quebec city with Air Canada but I flew on air france many times you should be great! We are going to spend 3 days in london prior to the cruise also... Went to Paris last september nice city with the kids!

I also plan to do the island tour on the public train on Guernsey, diy port for me

Cobb/cork: as I think my son will see a lot of castle during this trip i prefer to just take the return train to cork (1/2 day) and then return to cobh to enjoy irish lunch and scenic view.

Liverpool: I really don't know which tour i will book but i must see the beatles museum... I think I read that it is walkable or easy to reach by public transportation from the port.

Dublin: Doing hoho and book of kells mid-afternoon ticket timed to be sure to see it! If you're interested the ''DoDublin'' green buses have free kids ticket on hoho... so 18 euro for one adult AND one or 2 children free... https://dodublin.ie/visite-en-bus-imp-riale/billets-24-heures

Belfast... I'm not sure if I will book a tour to the giant causeway and rope bridge OR the titanic experience.... as it is my first time in belfast I might choose the titanic experience tour that will allow us to see this city also... but the giant causeway seem to be very beautiful site...

Glasgow: I would like to go to a farm : The Scottish Wool Centre but I did,t find a tour yet that bring us to this farm... only read about that in some review of this port... If I cannot find it I will probably stay around greenock or go to the stirling castle.. I don,t think i will take the train to glasgow... nothing that is a must do for me over there...Can you tell me which tour operator did you book your tour in greenock for the castle? The tour didn't include the entrance ticket to the castle?

It might be a good idea to buy the scotland explorer pass... didn't know about this pass... I will look for that for sure! Thank for the tip!

If your 6 years old child plan to go to the kids club they might be together some times... My son and I are french canadian but I try to do my best in english... he is young but he learn pretty fast (I was reading at 4 years old and here in Quebec children of his age will only start learning to read next September when they will start grade 1... )

I think he will be able to play with other kids without being bilingual... He will love to meet new friends during sea days I'm sure!

Thanks again!

Annie

Hi Anne

we are from the Toronto area! Yes my daughter Gianna will definitely be in the kids club. Let's try to meet up on the Southampton excursion.

I will look into the The Scottish Wool Centre myself and let you know.

I am booking book of kells in advance too.

See you on the ship.

Cinda

We will join you in southampton on july 24th! I fly from Quebec city with Air Canada but I flew on air france many times you should be great! We are going to spend 3 days in london prior to the cruise also... Went to Paris last september nice city with the kids!

I also plan to do the island tour on the public train on Guernsey, diy port for me

Cobb/cork: as I think my son will see a lot of castle during this trip i prefer to just take the return train to cork (1/2 day) and then return to cobh to enjoy irish lunch and scenic view.

Liverpool: I really don't know which tour i will book but i must see the beatles museum... I think I read that it is walkable or easy to reach by public transportation from the port.

Dublin: Doing hoho and book of kells mid-afternoon ticket timed to be sure to see it! If you're interested the ''DoDublin'' green buses have free kids ticket on hoho... so 18 euro for one adult AND one or 2 children free... https://dodublin.ie/visite-en-bus-imp-riale/billets-24-heures

Belfast... I'm not sure if I will book a tour to the giant causeway and rope bridge OR the titanic experience.... as it is my first time in belfast I might choose the titanic experience tour that will allow us to see this city also... but the giant causeway seem to be very beautiful site...

Glasgow: I would like to go to a farm : The Scottish Wool Centre but I did,t find a tour yet that bring us to this farm... only read about that in some review of this port... If I cannot find it I will probably stay around greenock or go to the stirling castle.. I don,t think i will take the train to glasgow... nothing that is a must do for me over there...Can you tell me which tour operator did you book your tour in greenock for the castle? The tour didn't include the entrance ticket to the castle?

It might be a good idea to buy the scotland explorer pass... didn't know about this pass... I will look for that for sure! Thank for the tip!

If your 6 years old child plan to go to the kids club they might be together some times... My son and I are french canadian but I try to do my best in english... he is young but he learn pretty fast (I was reading at 4 years old and here in Quebec children of his age will only start learning to read next September when they will start grade 1... )

I think he will be able to play with other kids without being bilingual... He will love to meet new friends during sea days I'm sure!

Thanks again!

Annie

Just to let you know, there is no island tour on a train in Guernsey. There is either Le Petit Train which provides a 35 minute tour around the town of St Peter Port, or there is a local bus which drives around the perimeter of the island. Neither of these options allow you to visit the Little Chapel or the German Occupation Museum which are a must in my opinion to see during your day.

Hi and thank you. We were going to do the local bus in Guernsey. It didn't look all that complicated. Thoughts? The Island looks very charming. Do you have any suggestions on a nice lunch venue?

The local bus is fine and not complicated, although this is not a hoho bus, and you drive around the perimeter of the island. Whilst this allows you to see some of the island and beaches, it does not allow you see the top attractions. Yes the island is charming, but I am of course bias ;) There can be long queues for this bus, so if you do choose to do this, make sure you are on an early tender to be at the front of the queue. Otherwise there is a daily 1.5 hour walking tour by an accredited guide from the information centre at 10:30am. No need to book and only costs GBP8pp. You could then take the bus in the afternoon.

Lunch, if you are looking for a cafe with a view, then the terrace cafe which overlooks the pier is reasonably priced. You can eat and just watch people wasting their time queuing to get back onboard, whilst you relax. For more of a restaurant, then Octopus which looks out to Castle Cornet or Mora’s which looks out over the marina are nice. TBH most cafes and restaurants are good in Guernsey, we are lucky to have such fresh seafood on offer all the time.

Edited by Guernseycruiser

• 3 weeks later...

Other than taking a tour, what is the best way to see the German Occupation Museum? Can we take a taxi there and tour on our own? And is that close to the Little Chapel, or are they a distance apart? We are 2 couples, active and "young" 70 year olds, and would love to have your recommendations for our day in Guernsey!

thank you

we just went in july. Public bus is just left of dock--ask for bus to airport and tell them you want to get off at the German Occ museum. the bus drives on a small 2 lane road. It's a very short pleasant walk of about 5 minutes when you get off. The driver will point you in the right direction and there are signs. It's a lovely place. The bus ride is nice. Cost is around 1 GBP each way. Museum is 6 GBP and kids are less--cash only. There are nice bathrooms at the museum. We had a lovely 1/2 day doing this with good 25 minute ride seeing the island on the way. We spent about 2 hours in museum. Entire RT was less than 4 hours. We then walked around St P P. There are lots of places to have lunch or snacks in St P P. the museum has a small snack shop. Great day and would do the bus again--worked even better than I planned. Museum small, but very interesting.

for a bit of a splurge, you could hire a private guide. One was explaining things when we were in the museum--such as the underground newspaper, etc. He took a family in a car or minibus. I don't have his info.

I suggest the book, Guernsey Literary Society and Potato Peel (?) to give you a good flavor of Guernsey during WWII.

Berlfast: highly recommend Giants causeway and the drive along the coast--spectacular. We used Odyssey Tours and booked the extra legroom tour b/c it was a minibus of only 19 persons for 45 GBP. We didn't cross the bridge, but hiked around and took photos. Excellent. Plus, we got a good driving tour of Belfast at the end.

Edited by elaine5

We did ecoach to blarney and Kinsale. I liked blarney. We didn’t kiss the stone but saw the castle walked the lovely grounds and looked at blarney house. I would do the 1/2 day to blarney and skip Kinsale and come back and diy around Cobh. Kinsale was fine but we could’ve been just as happy in Cobh. Ecoach is just a bit more than diy.

For Invergordon we did Invergordon bus tours to dunrobin. Excellent.

Cindy is posting a review of the same cruise on princess board and she did a private tour of cork I think.

Other than taking a tour, what is the best way to see the German Occupation Museum? Can we take a taxi there and tour on our own? And is that close to the Little Chapel, or are they a distance apart? We are 2 couples, active and "young" 70 year olds, and would love to have your recommendations for our day in Guernsey!

thank you

As elaine5 has said, yes you can get the bus to the Occupation Museum, anyone that is going to the airport is fine and will be less busy than the round the island bus. You could also take a taxi, the ones on the pier will be looking for an island tour, however there is a taxi rank on the other side of the town church just a 5 minute walk from the pier.

To get from the Museum to the Little Chapel, probably easiest to walk from the Museum to the airport, about 7 minute walk, and take a taxi from the rank.

After finishing at the Chapel, you could catch a bus back to town from the main road outside.

All in all this is douable but you will need to be organised and have the bus timetable with you. Not sure what day you are docking, but on busy cruise ship days, finding a free taxi to do short runs at the exact time you need may be difficult.