Question about Shuttle from Fort Lauderdale to Port Everglades

cljenkins07

Hi! I'm new here! This will be my 3rd cruise, but my husband and daughters (2 and 7) first cruise. We are flying into Fort Lauderdale and going on a Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Sea's cruise out of Port Everglades. We were not planning on bringing her carseat, because it's GIANT. So I was looking at shuttle services. A lot of them say they won't take kids without a carseat (understandable). I've received quotes from many private car services and the price is around $90 one way to include a carseat. It seems there isn't Uber family in that area either. Does anybody know of any shared services that include carseats in that area or a shuttle bus? Just making sure I'm not missing anything! Thanks!!

cljenkins07, welcome to Cruise Critic.

Let me also suggest that you post this on the Florida Departures Board at:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=495

Hopefully some of the locals and other folks who post on that board might have some additional suggestions for you.[

Keith

Are you flying in the day before? If so, your hotel may have a shuttle that would be a large bus so no need for a carseat. If you are flying in the day of the cruise (not recommended) taking the Royal Caribbean transfer to the ship would not require a carseat. EM

cljenkins07, welcome to Cruise Critic.

Let me also suggest that you post this on the Florida Departures Board at:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=495

Hopefully some of the locals and other folks who post on that board might have some additional suggestions for you.[

Keith

Thanks!!

Are you flying in the day before? If so, your hotel may have a shuttle that would be a large bus so no need for a carseat. If you are flying in the day of the cruise (not recommended) taking the Royal Caribbean transfer to the ship would not require a carseat. EM

Thank you!

You can also look at buying a cheap travel car seat. There are some that sell for about $40-$50 which is substantially less than paying for a rental seat or special shuttles each way. In the USA I believe you have a Cosco Scenera Next seat which fits kids a long time and is nice and cheap and light weight.

Also, look at getting a luggage roller. We use a Samsung suitcase cart to lug our daughters car seat (it weighs 28lbs with a steel frame). Our daughter is almost 5 but we still lug her seat on the plane as we need it where ever we go. We just pop it on the little cart, throw our carry on back pack on it, strap it on and pull it. On the plane the backpack goes under my seat, install car seat and the cart just collapses down super small.

I LOVE having my daughter buckled in for the plane ride (we travel fairly frequently). She is comfy and secure and when she was your daughters age we never had to worry about her unbuckling herself (plane seat belts are so easy for 2yr olds to unbuckle).

My friends husband is a pilot and it is quite common for him to have to delay flights while parents and flight attendants try to convince a freaking out toddler that they need to sit and stay buckled for take off. The plane will not take off until they remain seated and he has had to remove families from the plane because after an hour of trying it just wasn't going to happen. Car seats are life savers - not just in cars...but for parental sanity on air planes :-) !

We came back from a cruise and have 2 toddlers. ISA transportation provided car seat and it was $35 (before tip) one way from FLL to hotel which was right next to the cruise port (Everglades). They were great and well worth it.

isatransportation@yahoo.com

$90 to Port Everglades from the airport sounds very high--it's not far at all. Definitely check out RCCL transfers if you're flying in on departure day.

If flying in the day before check with the hotel. Even if they don't have transportation that will work, they would probably have suggestions.

Another option if flying in the day before would be to rent a car (with a car seat). One adult could drop everyone & everything at the port, return the car and take transportation to the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last March we used South Florida Shuttles to provide us with a carseat and get us from hotel (Hyatt Place) to Port Everglades and then the return from port back to FLL.

http://www.southfloridashuttles.com or call them at (954) 227-0311 I preferred to speak with a live person to answer my questions and book with.