Fighting thar urge to get a new camera body

framer

B2B cruises. Vancouver, Whittier, back to Vancouver. My luck the 30% chance of seeing Denali is like a sure thing to just pass.

I have one H&M going and really thinking about another on the way back. But DW wants to do something else, flight seeing.

B2B cruises. Vancouver, Whittier, back to Vancouver. My luck the 30% chance of seeing Denali is like a sure thing to just pass.

I have one H&M going and really thinking about another on the way back. But DW wants to do something else, flight seeing.

Check out Island Wings in Ketchikan for flight seeing. H&M give me a small discount because I gone before with them. Mention that this will be your 2nd time with them if you do that. I would be shocked if you don't have lots of sightings.

Because they have multi boats, both H&M's and other tour boats operators, out in different areas they communicate by radio reporting sightings.

On our 1st flight to Fairbanks we went almost overtop of Denali, perfectly clear. Got to Fairbanks and rented a car and drove to Denali the next day and as we were driving down the road south of Denali's entrance and the clouds parted with a perfect view. Next day we took the train down to the park and stayed at the lodge down there. Never saw the mountain again.

framer

At least you got to see it. Our luck runs like we have been to the Albuquerque Balloon Festa twice we have scheduled to ride in a balloon both times. The days before our ride date beautiful weather, the day of ours wind blowing wrong direction, rain. Next day beautiful weather, you ask why not just go the next day noooo all the rides are booked solid for the rest of the festa. So guess we will be back at the Balloon festa this year again. Luckily we really like Albuquerque.

My 2nd body it pushing 9 YO. It;s a Nikon D3s a great camera for somethings but not cruise/travel friendly. I'm currently using a Nikon D810 for 80-90% of my photography. I considering a D500 or the new D850. On odd days it's the D500 on even days it's the D850. The D500 would work but it's also dated. The newest one is the D850 but the $$$$ one. Keep telling myself I really don't need it but that 'want' keeps banging away at me...

We see what next week brings.

framer

I just got the D850 earlier this month as a birthday gift from my husband. My "old" camera is the D810. I love the ability to shoot and have pics transferred right to an app on my phone for easy uploading so I will be bringing the D850 on my next cruise. :D

I just got the D850 earlier this month as a birthday gift from my husband. My "old" camera is the D810. I love the ability to shoot and have pics transferred right to an app on my phone for easy uploading so I will be bringing the D850 on my next cruise. :D

Tip: Keep that husband...he truly loves you.

framer

Awwww....crap! Why the hell did you have to put that up!?!? Well..I'm NOT buying one....I'm NOT buying one....I'm NOT buying one.....I'm NOT buying.....I'm NOT......I'm.......:') :lips-sealed:

Damn....DW will be REALLY pissed......

Preliminary feelings about the D500. Better than expected. The sensor is as good as my D810 just smaller. It is much faster, the AF seems better but that will take more time to fully check out. This thing rocks with my old 300mm AFS f/4 lens. Yes, this maybe my missing link for travel photography. Can't wait to try it with my 400/2.8, sic.

framer

Issue: I can no longer is CS6 with D500 RAW files. The plug it for that is to upgrade to CC and pay a monthly charge.

OR

Use Nikon's NX-D to process the RAWs and convert them to JPG's or TIFFs to use in CS6. WAPITA.

Always an issue...

framer

Issue: I can no longer is CS6 with D500 RAW files. The plug it for that is to upgrade to CC and pay a monthly charge.

OR

Use Nikon's NX-D to process the RAWs and convert them to JPG's or TIFFs to use in CS6. WAPITA.

Always an issue...

framer

Or use Nikon's excellent in-camera JPEG...?

:)

Dave

Or use Nikon's excellent in-camera JPEG...?

:)

Dave

LOL, that's what I'd do. Just shoot in JPEG and save yourself a step. Or JPEG + RAW and look into a non-Adobe piece of software.

If we upgrade cameras, we'll probably have to leave Adobe as well. I'm already lightly looking for alternatives as it is since I'm on LR6.

Over the last two years I've heard nothing but bad comments about the D500 Snapbridge and built in WIFI. When I got the camera I noticed it had version 1.00 of the firmware. Before I did anything I updated it ti the latest 1.13. Over the weekend I checkout and downloaded the Snapbridge app from the App store. I'm using a old iPhone 5s I figured that it might be too old to be compatible, nope, worked perfect. I was surprised it pair without issues, tried taking a picture, transferred perfect. I then decided to try the WIFI to remote control the camera. Again it connected without issues and let me use my phone to focus and take a photo. I did not even read the manual. OK, I'm impressed. This is a nice bonus.

framer

Just tried out the 400mm w/TC2 III attached, that's 800mm of lens. Here is a sample of detail I got, this a pillow on a chair 40 feet from the camera. 800mm.jpg

100% crop from sensor lens @ f2.8=f/5.6 with TC2E III attached 125/sec

framer

Over the last two years I've heard nothing but bad comments about the D500 Snapbridge and built in WIFI.

When the average complainer pens a complaint, it is rarely followed by an update when they found a simple fix or a mea culpa if it was user error. Another consideration is that a person with a problem, perceived or otherwise, is more likely to post it than someone who is simply happy with a product. User reviews are mostly a mixed bag with a lot of info between the lines.

Dave

This D500 is good. Been testing with a 15 yo 300mm AFS f/4 and it a killer. My D3s w/400 f/2.8 does nice 16x24 prints, The detail and sharpness is better with the D500 300mm combo IMHO. I believe I'm leaving the 400 at home this trip. Maybe sell the 400mm, NOT...

framer

I'm seriously looking at that 200-500 to use with the D500. I really need to try one to see if I would be happy with it. How's the AF speed? That 300 f/4 I got is a real good sample it's hard to beat. The only lens I got that beats it is that 400 f/2.8. The other issue is my 300 is lighter and smaller than that 200-500. Having both would be nice. [sarcasm]Maybe I hit a winner in the stock market this week:) [/sarcasm]

framer

It is a little slow compared to the 70-200VR f/2.8E or 24-70 f/2.8. But for the $$$ for a full frame camera it will get the job done on still birds, seems to sometimes have trouble keeping up with birds in flight (BIF). I have some friends that have the D500 and they shoot the 200-500 and love it and then some that have bigger bank accounts rather shoot a 300mm with a 1.4 teleconverter, laugh at us lugging the 200-500. But with a D500 the 200-500 with the crop sensor works out to 300-750 so the reason why D500 users carry it. I will say it is a beast to carry and a 300mm is lighter even with the teleconverter.

With this lens you just need to practice and practice before going on the 'trip'. So if you are thinking about renting one you need to get one and practice with it to see how it behaves and the zooming takes some getting used to. Take like 1 and half turns to get it completely zoomed out so I kind of zoom it out to 350~400 that way I can zoom out or in.