Taxi shortage at Southampton?

kruznkanuk

After searching around the Boards, I am wondering if our last experience arriving at Southampton was uniquely miserable. We came in on the QM2 with train tickets to London, expecting to get a taxi to the train station in November 2015. We waited in a queue of several hundred people in a freezing cold (but covered) terminal driveway area for a taxi for 90 minutes, starting at 8:30am and during that whole time only a dozen or so taxis arrived. We gave up, asked some port workers, and set out in the rain to walk to a bus route, which was a miserable walk dodging trucks and trains across rail lines on rough ground and cobblestones and up a hill with luggage. After about 20 minutes and asking many people, we got to a bus stop near the ferry terminal and eventually got a local bus which took us to the station, where by running we barely caught our 11:30 AM train. We were told by several locals that there are very few taxis in the morning as they are 'on school pickups' so we have assumed this is a chronic problem.

However, I see very few complaints on the Boards.

We need to get a rental car (car hire) when we arrive in Southampton in late April on a Saturday, have had no luck finding a hire company that will pickup at the terminal or bring a car to the terminal, and fear a repeat of that very unpleasant experience.

We are going to visit an elderly relative in a care home in a remote part of Sussex, so the car hire is our only option--and we are fine with that, have driven a lot in Ireland and the UK-- but can't figure out how to get to the car place.

Would love to hear whether you have been able to get a taxi during the usual morning disembarkation at Southampton, and any suggestions, please?!

Your experience was unusual, though not unheard-of.

School contracts is a new one on me - they'd be covered by private-hire taxis (have to be booked) whereas taxis at the pier are hackneys (licensed to pick up at taxi ranks or by being hailed). And school contracts would indeed be a chronic problem for cruise passengers, not the rare problem that you experienced.

I'm wondering whether this might have been during the upgrading of the road past Dock Gate 4 and the construction of the new Dock Gate 5, which from time to time caused gridlock in the area.

But whatever the reason, it's not common. :)

If you want to feel reassured, you can pre-book - even for a short distance - with www.westquaycars.com

It'll probably cost just a little more.

What terminal (if you don't know, what ship & date?) do you arrive at?

And which car rental operator are you using?

JB :)

ps - dodging trucks & trains tells me that last time you berthed at QE11 terminal deep in the old docks. But I'm not sure how you encountered a hill between cruise terminal & ferry pier :confused:

Thanks so much, JohnBull, for the great advice. I didn't know about the different classes of taxis or the option of prebooking a car. And of course very glad to hear that we aren't likely to have a repeat!

Haven't decided on the car hire company; I inquired with a few to ask if they would provide pickup service and am waiting for a couple more possible replies.

We are arriving on Celebrity Silhouette April 28th. I haven't checked which pier--I actually didn't know there were multiple passenger piers as we've only ever seen one ship in port at a time. We've sailed in or out of Southampton 5 times over many years so have a little experience but not a lot. Our very first cruise, ages ago, we took the P & O boat train to the docks and walked across the dock to board the old Canberra. Very luxurious, very slick, you checked your bags in at Victoria Station in London and saw them again in your cabin.

We may have made a wrong turn along the way between cruise terminal and the bus stop to find a hill. As I recall, there was another hill between the bus stop and the train station. We didn't have GPS/cell service in the UK or a map so it's quite likely that we either took the wrong bus or found unnecessary hills. I do recall traffic problems because of a freight train stopped on a crossing in the dock area and we did go through/past a construction area where the sidewalk was blocked off and pedestrians were in the road. All past history, but if you're interested it might aid your sleuthing into our experience.

Thanks again!

Celebrity normally berth at City cruise terminal, close to the city centre and there are a number of car rental depots bunched together close by on a spur of West Quay Road,, including Hertz, Europcar, National and Alamo.

They'd actually be literally a stone's throw from the cruise terminal - if it weren't for the dock fence :(

If you're not prepared to vault the fence ;p, it's about a ten minute walk (see this map, but you can avoid the dogleg by cutting through the back of Holiday Inn's carpark)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.9013233,-1.4120343,3a,60y,95.96h,88.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3czUnNBl2gJqIuQUoM-Pgg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You can see the Europcar depot in the streetview, and if you spin the camera 180degress you'll see the Hertz depot.

It's not a difficult walk, even with luggage - or one of your party can collect the car & return to the terminal to collect the others & luggage.

There are a few other depots including SixT just a short taxi hop away.

The one major organisation not represented in the city is Avis. Their depot is at Southampton airport, about 8 miles / £18 by taxi. But it has the advantage that it's just outside the city close to the M27 / M3 motorway routes, so no Southampton city driving to start your day. For that distance a pre-booked taxi (eg West Quay Cars) will be a little cheaper than one from the rank at the cruise terminal

Your route to Sussex depends where in deepest Sussex.

For West Sussex, probably east along the M27 & A27.

For the far end of East Sussex you also have the choice of the long but simple M3 / M25 / M23 motorway loop or a variety of other routes.

Route didn't show on that googlemaps link - hate the way Google has screwed-up Googlemaps :mad:

Here's the walking route from cruise terminal to Hertz etc. (except that you can cut round the back of the Holiday Inn).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/50.9005669,-1.4141461/50.9012754,-1.4121797/@50.9001849,-1.4132104,544m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

But the map's just reminded me.

Alamo have taken over the old Avis depot right by the dock gate / Hol Inn.

That's just a three minute walk :)

I nominate JohnBull as the most helpful Cruise Critic poster!!! thanks a ton.

This looks totally possible, especially if I send my husband to vault over the fence while I have my last cappuccino and danish...;)Actually, it doesn't look like a bad walk at all.

We are going to Slinfold--but will have a GPS this trip, too,

• 3 weeks later...
We are going on the NCL Bliss out of Southampton in April. What is the best way for us to get from the airport or nearby to the cruise port. The more I read the more confused I get. Thanks.

Several options, but depends on................

Which airport?

Southampton has a local airport SOU, London has four airports.

Almost all long-haul travellers use London Heathrow (LHR) or London Gatwick (LGW)

Flight arrival / departure times, & what dates - particularly what day-of-the-week?

Aiming for airport to Southampton and Southampton to airport direct, or planning to spend any days / nights in London or elsewhere?

How many in your party?

Any kids, mobility issues, etc?

We can tell you the options that suit, and an idea of the different costs.

Celebrity normally berth at City cruise terminal, close to the city centre and there are a number of car rental depots bunched together close by on a spur of West Quay Road,, including Hertz, Europcar, National and Alamo.

They'd actually be literally a stone's throw from the cruise terminal - if it weren't for the dock fence :(

If you're not prepared to vault the fence ;p, it's about a ten minute walk (see this map, but you can avoid the dogleg by cutting through the back of Holiday Inn's carpark)

Haha! Yes! When we docked last summer we were looking at Google maps and we're like "Really, no short cut!?" LOL! But it's not a bad walk. I will say they were overwhelmed the day we went. It took us probably an hour to get our car. Not enough workers for sure. But they were nice and we weren't in a super big hurry. We used Hertz.

• 5 months later...
Can you walk from the train station to the dock? Seems to be differing opinions.

Thanks.

Depends which terminal you are cruising from. Technically I suppose, they are all walkable, but practically probably not. City cruise terminal (RCI, Celeb, NCL) is walkable in about 10 mins. Mayflower is just about walkable, but I'd opt for a cab. All the others, I'd go for a cab.

Near the bottom of this page is a map showing relevant info.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_cruise_terminal.htm

Simon

Depends which terminal you are cruising from. Technically I suppose, they are all walkable, but practically probably not. City cruise terminal (RCI, Celeb, NCL) is walkable in about 10 mins. Mayflower is just about walkable, but I'd opt for a cab. All the others, I'd go for a cab.

Near the bottom of this page is a map showing relevant info.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_cruise_terminal.htm

Simon

I agree with Simon.

The "differing opinions" will mainly be because there are four cruise terminals spread along the waterfront, but also because of different amounts of luggage / kids to schlep, differing energy levels, even different weather conditions.

City cruise terminal (berth 101) - 15/20 minutes

Mayflower (105/6) - 20/25 mins

Ocean (46) - 25/30 mins

QE11 (39/40) - 40 mins

All on level ground, all have pedestrian lights to help you across the one or two major roads, all on sidewalks except QE11. With rolling luggage I'd walk from City terminal to the station in decent weather, without luggage I'd walk from Mayflower or Ocean.

There's no restriction on walking through the port, but even for the comparatively short (15/20 min) walk to QE11 terminal from the dock gate I'd use a taxi for that terminal because it's deep in the docks and in places only a yellow-painted line separates pedestrians from heavy truck traffic.

Thanks for the replies. Apparently there is a boat show on the weekend we are boarding the ship ( Sept.22nd). Do you think we should book a taxi now or will the hotel have available ones? Also should we book one for when we depart? We are suppose to dock at birth 46. Do you know which pier terminal that would be? You have such great information.

Thanks for the replies. Apparently there is a boat show on the weekend we are boarding the ship ( Sept.22nd). Do you think we should book a taxi now or will the hotel have available ones? Also should we book one for when we depart?.

Oh my, you've picked a slightly difficult weekend.

Southampton International Boat Show is the city's biggest event of the year. Runs from 14th to 23rd September and it's directly between Ocean Cruise Terminal and central station.

And you're there on the Saturday.

Your route between station and ship is open, no need for a diversion. But it's about a mile and a quarter, a 25 - 30 min walk on level ground, sidewalks all the way.

https://goo.gl/maps/F66655Ykn9r

Whether the show screws up traffic or impacts on supply/demand for taxis at the station will depend what time of day you're arriving.

Post your scheduled train arrival time and I'll check with a couple of local taxi drivers whether it'll be problematic.

Edit. Ahhh. Just noticed your reference to a hotel.

Can you just clarify how / when you're travelling to Southampton, & where / when you'll be staying overnite in Southampton.

Post-cruise, for a taxi to the station (or elsewhere in the city) there'll be taxis lined-up at the pier. About £7. You can pre-book with www.westquaycars.com but it'll cost a pound or two more.

To go further afield by taxi (eg to London or a London airport) you should very definitely pre-book a transfer - simply taking a taxi from the line will cost an arm and a leg. www.smithsforairports.com will be a little cheaper than west quay cars but both are well-regarded on Cruise Critic.

Oh my, you've picked a slightly difficult weekend.

Southampton International Boat Show is the city's biggest event of the year. Runs from 14th to 23rd September and it's directly between Ocean Cruise Terminal and central station.

And you're there on the Saturday.

Your route between station and ship is open, no need for a diversion. But it's about a mile and a quarter, a 25 - 30 min walk on level ground, sidewalks all the way.

https://goo.gl/maps/F66655Ykn9r

Whether the show screws up traffic or impacts on supply/demand for taxis at the station will depend what time of day you're arriving.

Post your scheduled train arrival time and I'll check with a couple of local taxi drivers whether it'll be problematic.

Edit. Ahhh. Just noticed your reference to a hotel.

Can you just clarify how / when you're travelling to Southampton, & where / when you'll be staying overnite in Southampton.

Post-cruise, for a taxi to the station (or elsewhere in the city) there'll be taxis lined-up at the pier. About £7. You can pre-book with www.westquaycars.com but it'll cost a pound or two more.

To go further afield by taxi (eg to London or a London airport) you should very definitely pre-book a transfer - simply taking a taxi from the line will cost an arm and a leg. www.smithsforairports.com will be a little cheaper than west quay cars but both are well-regarded on Cruise Critic.

We are coming in two nights ahead on the train from Gatwick and staying at the Jury's Inn. One night to recover from the flight and one day to tour Southampton. We planned on taking the train after the cruise up through Gatwick to London.

We are coming in two nights ahead on the train from Gatwick and staying at the Jury's Inn. One night to recover from the flight and one day to tour Southampton. We planned on taking the train after the cruise up through Gatwick to London.

So you'll be arriving on the Thursday.

The Boat Show shouldn't be a problem - Jury's Inn is in the opposite direction, on the eastern edge of the city centre.

Only a 15 min walk, but starts with a steep hill so easiest to take a taxi.

And again, from Jury's Inn to Ocean terminal doesn't pass the Boat Show. A five minute drive but will probably take 10 on that Saturday morning. Best to book the day before, Jury's Inn can fix it up for you.

No worries :)

The hourly Southampton to London Victoria train, which goes via Gatwick, isn't the quickest way to get to central London. It takes about an hour longer than the more-frequent trains to London Waterloo.

Whichever route you choose, pre-book to save yourselves a chunk of cash. As little as £9.10 versus over £40 walk-up fare for Waterloo, or £5 versus up to £35 for Victoria. The only stipulation with the cheap pre-booked tickets is that they're only good for the train time that you've booked.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

According to where you are staying in London post cruise, the National Express coach could be an option. Normally under £15 per person (takes about 2hrs 15mins and as close as the railway station at Southampton) and drops you at Victoria coach station, about 300 yds down the road from Victoria railway station. Again, pre book is a must! Just giving you options.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

Simon

You are both a fountain of information. You've given me lots to think about. I did see that there are two different routes to London Victoria Station via Gatwick, that's where we wanted to be. One says an hour and one is two and a half? If we go to Waterloo we will have to change tube lines to get to our hotel. On our last London visit we got a 'Two for One' train pass which worked out great for three visits out of London and our trips to the airport. We were then able to get anytime tickets for what seemed to be good prices even if we booked just the day ahead at the stations. Should I start a new thread about this? Don't want to highjack this thread.

I did see that there are two different routes to London Victoria Station via Gatwick, that's where we wanted to be. One says an hour and one is two and a half? If we go to Waterloo we will have to change tube lines to get to our hotel.
Off the top of my head, I think that there is only one route to Victoria via Gatwick. That's the one with the longest typical journey time.

Your post isn't entirely clear, but if what you are saying is that your hotel is near Victoria station, then yes: taking the Tube from Waterloo to Victoria will involve a change of Tube lines.

You can get most of the benefits of the fast trains to Waterloo yet limit your changes to one if you change trains at Clapham Junction instead of going all the way to Waterloo, because that's a major interchange point between trains going to Victoria and trains going to Waterloo.

Alternatively, just get off at Waterloo and jump into a cab. I personally wouldn't be messing about with changing on the Tube.

If your hotel is nearer Victoria coach station, then that increases the appeal of the coach. It also increases the appeal of doing the last bit by cab.

If on the rail website you type in Southampton to London Victoria you will see the hourly direct service (which takes a winding cross-country route via Gatwick)

And you'll also see more-frequent options which involve one or two changes. That's the route which Globaliser mentioned where you change trains at Clapham Junction. It starts with a fast Waterloo-bound train from Southampton, then that change at Clapham Junction to a train to Victoria. Despite having to change trains, that option chops an hour off the time taken by the direct trains. But not only does that mean having to change trains, it also means no cheap advance tickets. So it's as little as £5 each on the slow direct trains to Victoria, but £42.50 each if you take the option via Clapham Junction.

So compared to that change at Clapham Junction option, pre-booking the slow direct train to Victoria can save up to £75 for two. Or pre-booking the fast direct train to Waterloo can save up to £67 for two, less about £15 for a taxi from Waterloo to your hotel in Victoria.

Pros & cons for the two direct routes, but no advantage in that Clapham Junction option.

And advantages in taking the Nat Express coach from Southampton to Victoria,

As Globaliser's post, the tube is no fun with luggage. Even less fun when you need to change tube trains such as between Waterloo & Victoria.

Lots of options it seems. Our hotel is actually at the Gloucester Road station. We have stayed there before. It has 3 different lines running into it so found it to be a good spot to get to many areas of London. I said Victoria because that's where we came in from Gatwick before and we have handled our suitcases from there to the hotel. It is also only one tube line from Paddington Station as well but there doesn't seem to be any advantage to going there. I realize the bus is another option but DH prefers the train as he likes to have his hands on the wheel of any vehicle he is in and I don't think the bus driver would appreciate that. The ease of the travel is likely more important than the time it takes but we also like to be frugal when we can.

I wish there were people like you in every port, many thanks.

Our hotel is actually at Gloucester Road station.
Train to Waterloo then taxi.

If you take the train to Victoria, you can get to Gloucester Road station by direct Tube. It's only three stops. But in addition to the train taking longer (much longer if you take the direct Southampton-Victoria train), you have to get your luggage down the equivalent of about one storey's worth of stairs, twice, to reach the platform (plus some relatively narrow corridors, some with extra steps), and you would have to do almost the same again going up from the platform at Gloucester Road.

Access from the Piccadilly Line at Gloucester Road may be a bit easier - it's been a while since I've done this and I think that the lifts (elevators) have been replaced since then, which for those who know Gloucester Road station is probably an indication of how long that's been. But getting from Victoria to Gloucester Road Piccadilly Line platform level by a step-free route is not that easy.