Quebec to New York cruise excursions

shipsealand

DW & I will be doing the fall color changes cruise early - mid October including ports of Quebec, Saguenay, Sydney, Halifax, Portland, Bar Harbor, Boston, Newport, and New York. Would appreciate hearing about which ports we should book ship excursions vs finding local tours once in port. How doable to walk from where ship docks to town. Would the local tours be at or near the dock.

Take into account for your plans that Bar Harbor is a tender port.

In what ship are you going? us at the Summit NYC RT 14 nights. For us first time in NYC an ports of call.

I read in our roll call this:

I’ve read on the cruisecritic forum that Celebrity have pre-arranged tours with period costume guides for the excursion and they will have shops/activities open for the cruise people. Forum members said NOT to go on your own during off-season(you can only join the guided tour purchased through the ship excursion).

Newport is a tender port. The tenders drop you off in Perotti Park. It is in the harbor district. Newport is a wonderful city and easily walkable. It is filled with history in every direction. There are loads of shops and great places to eat. The Visitor's Center usually has a van with information set up in Perotti Park. About a block and a half north is the Visitor's Center building with loads of tour info, ticket sales and busses.