Ruins in cozumel

foxcent

Hello, Have never been to Cozumel. Are their outside vendors for tours looking to do research on the RUINS in Cozumel, maybe for a cheaper price just wonder if anyone have used outside vendors... I'm just asking I know the risk but sometime people have done tours with outside vendors and have recommendations??????????

We took the ferry across to Playa Del Carmen, then went to Tullum (twice) and Chichen Itza (once). I definitely recommend doing one of these.

Thank you taking a ferry sounds nice.. How much is the Ferry and how long do it take to get to Playa Del Carmen??

Thank you taking a ferry sounds nice.. How much is the Ferry and how long do it take to get to Playa Del Carmen??

Normally I am all for DIY but I would advise against taking the ferry to Playa Del Carmen and booking a tour to Coba, Chichen Itza or Tulum on your own. There are large distances involved. Those sites should be booked thru the cruise line. Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza are the sites you would want to go to.

Normally I am all for DIY but I would advise against taking the ferry to Playa Del Carmen and booking a tour to Coba, Chichen Itza or Tulum on your own. There are large distances involved. Those sites should be booked thru the cruise line. Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza are the sites you would want to go to.

Yeah I know. Thank you for the information and letting me know that they are a distance and may risk not getting back in time, although we are there until 7 if we leave early we should get back in time...

Hello, Have never been to Cozumel. Are their outside vendors for tours looking to do research on the RUINS in Cozumel, maybe for a cheaper price just wonder if anyone have used outside vendors... I'm just asking I know the risk but sometime people have done tours with outside vendors and have recommendations??????????

Also check the Cozumel forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

Yeah I know. Thank you for the information and letting me know that they are a distance and may risk not getting back in time, although we are there until 7 if we leave early we should get back in time...

I've visited all these ruins while vacationing in Cozumel but would NEVER attempt it through a private vendor while porting in Cozumel on a cruise ship. It is about a 45 minute ferry ride each way and quite often the seas are extremely rough for a boats the size of the ferries.

If this is for your Harmony cruise, the first most important thing to consider is that Royal will have a dedicated ferry to and from the pier at International. Independently you will have to work with the ferry schedule AND taxi in and out if San Miguel.

I have been to the ruins twice on Cozumel. Both times we did the same thing: rented a car and drove to the ruins ourselves. Driving around Cozumel is easy, because there is one main road that loops around the island. It cuts through the middle of the island, going by the ruins. On the other side of the island is nothing but beaches, with stands that sell tacos, drinks, and souvenirs every so many miles.

We have done it twice, and it is a lot of fun!

Agree, won't do this on own. Last time got back from a ship sponsored Tulum. Ship waited just for us, fortunately we weren't DIY as could have been left behind...

Agree, won't do this on own. Last time got back from a ship sponsored Tulum. Ship waited just for us, fortunately we weren't DIY as could have been left behind...

Not to be a kill joy, but with the way things are in Mexico right now, do really think it’s safe and recommended to travel so far and wide unsanctioned by Royal? Think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not to be a kill joy, but with the way things are in Mexico right now, do really think it’s safe and recommended to travel so far and wide unsanctioned by Royal? Think about it.

The only difference of going with Royal Caribbean is that they would be responsible for getting you back before the ship left or getting you to the next port if they could not wait while on one of their excursions. Given the distance and that it requires both a ferry and bus trip, that is the only reason I recommend doing it with Royal Caribbean. Royal Caribbean sanctioned isn’t going to make it safer.

I think doing Tulum, Coba or Chichen Itza from Cozumel is a poor way of seeing those sites. A long ride and a short time actually at the sites. I did Tulum once from a cruise. I did Tulum again, and also Coba and Chichen Itza on land vacations. You can book tours with a ride to the site or you can rent a car and drive there and hire a guide at the sites. More time at the sites. Doing the Mayan sites from the mainland is much better than from Coz.

I have been to the ruins twice on Cozumel. Both times we did the same thing: rented a car and drove to the ruins ourselves. Driving around Cozumel is easy, because there is one main road that loops around the island. It cuts through the middle of the island, going by the ruins. On the other side of the island is nothing but beaches, with stands that sell tacos, drinks, and souvenirs every so many miles.

We have done it twice, and it is a lot of fun!

Driving sounds fun, How much is it for car rental?????

I was just asking a question since I have never been, I did not say I was going to actually DIY. Thank you...

Driving sounds fun, How much is it for car rental?????

There is a big difference between driving to the ruins ON Cozumel and visiting the ruins ON mainland.

From Cozumel i personally wouldn’t do either but if I did local ruins i would (and have) done it through a taxi or private driver. I would do mainland ruins through the ship, or preferably another port or mainland land vacation.