Jellyfish at Coco Cay

Marie51

Just wanted to tell everyone we were just at Coco Cay last Tuesday and the water was full of jellyfish and a fair amount of seaweed floating around. We hardly spent any time in the water for fear of getting stung. This is the worst I have seen it and I have been there several times over the years. I don’t know what happened but I hope it improves.

Jellyfish (and seaweed) are tide related.....and August seems to be a prime time for the jellies...Really can't do anything about it! The NC and SC coasts are having more jellyfish than usual, too.

Yes, and fortunately the next day we were in Nassau and had a nice day there at the Melia resort. No jellyfish or seaweed on the beach. 😎

This scares me. We go in less than 2 weeks. Our stops are Nassau and CoCo Cay. We were thinking of staying on the ship at Nassau and enjoying CoCo Cay but maybe we should swap? Concerned of my kids. Does Melia have a nice beach? You said it was clean?

This scares me. We go in less than 2 weeks. Our stops are Nassau and CoCo Cay. We were thinking of staying on the ship at Nassau and enjoying CoCo Cay but maybe we should swap? Concerned of my kids. Does Melia have a nice beach? You said it was clean?

So the jellyfish are always possible, especially this time of year. But that hardly means they are a certainty. They can show up on a beach one day and be gone the next. Very hard to predict or plan.

I would just plan on trying beach at Coco Cay. If it is good, good! If there are issues it is still a nice day on the island, and then you can try the Nassau beach the next day.

Don’t overthink the jelly issue. These aren’t killer man’o’wars, they are small pesky jellies usually when they do appear. If they are there, try another beach on the other side.

BobJ

Sent from my iPad using Forums