Herod's "Island Spendor Coastal Cruise" Tour

happybunny1207

Was looking for feedback from anyone who has recently done this tour. My DH & I have done the land & sea combo on a previous cruise and the land portions didn't impress me enough to want to do them again. Carnival doesn't offer many options when traveling with a child (my DD is 3) on St. Lucia, so wondering about any other private excursion tours that do mostly boat/beach stops. Obviously we can't do anything that would include open waters norkling, but beach stops work for us. Also could be interested in a whale watching tour.

I just did this excursion in January and I enjoyed it. Herod and his crew were very friendly and very informative about their island. When we got to the beach, there were free chairs but some of them weren't in the best of shape so try to grab some as soon as you can. There are some shaded areas. Lunch was good and the drinks plentiful but you do have to ask for them.

The blank sand beach we stopped at for about 1/2 hr was nice but there was no where to sit. Chairs were for rent for $10 each and for the time there not worth it. We hung out, swam a little and just went back to the boat.

I enjoyed the excursion and would definately recommend it. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

• 1 month later...

We did this excursion with Herods crew and they were great. The boat ride was a lot of fun and we got to the beach at the pitons before it was crowded. Only place found free chairs in all our stops. The snorkeling was wonderful and we had drinks and lunch on the beach. Did a second beach stop and then a well narrated tour of harbors, scenic locales, and celebrity homes. Fun and interesting. A great day!

I just did this excursion in January and I enjoyed it. Herod and his crew were very friendly and very informative about their island......

I enjoyed the excursion and would definately recommend it. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

I am too looking at this tour.. is there a land portion too included? seems like it by the description http://herodstours.com/island_sp_coastal_cruise.html

I am too looking at this tour.. is there a land portion too included? seems like it by the description http://herodstours.com/island_sp_coastal_cruise.html

You can be dropped off at another location at a van and go see the Volcano and/or Waterfalls. I think its an additional $5 each location. When we went my DH and I just went straight to the beach but my kids, nephew and DD BF, went to the waterfall. They said it was nice to see but wouldn't do it again. They were gone about 45 mins then met up with us at the beach in time for lunch.

Edited by girlscruise2011

• 5 weeks later...

not sure if this is still a good one, or not - **********@gmail.com

this was one of our favorite tours - after all the other island tours we did, didn't want to spend all day riding around in a van again. He says his minimum is 12, but we could only get 8 from our roll call group, and he took us anyway. I guess it would depend how many other ships were in port and how busy he was on his other tours.

Edited by jasminelee

http://herodstours.com/contact.html

There is a contact form on this page ^^^^^

I am also interested in a more comprehensive review of this tour...is it a boat both to and from the jalousie beach? Does it make stops in Marigot, Canaries, Anse Chastanet, and Soufrierre. Do you dock and walk around or just view them from the water?

From Girlscruise2011 review above, it sounds like you can go to the waterfalls OR the Sulphur Springs (volcano), but not both...can anyone confirm?

Would love to hear more!:D

I am also interested in a more comprehensive review of this tour...is it a boat both to and from the jalousie beach? Does it make stops in Marigot, Canaries, Anse Chastanet, and Soufrierre. Do you dock and walk around or just view them from the water?

From Girlscruise2011 review above, it sounds like you can go to the waterfalls OR the Sulphur Springs (volcano), but not both...can anyone confirm?

This is the description of the tour- http://herodstours.com/land_sea_safari.html

On the outskirts of Soufriere, stop at the “Cold Falls” for a refreshing swim in the crystal clear pool beneath a waterfall amidst the lush surrounding beauty

Adventure continues to Sulphur Springs, the world’s only drive-thru/walk thru active volcano, one of St. Lucia’s most notable National Parks;

Edited by ISLABONITA

Sounds like there are 2 different tours being discussed here:

Herods Island Splendor

This is an exclusive opportunity to tour via private boat with extra special features included. Complimentary water, beers, assorted sodas, rum punch, and other refreshments will be available during the course of the tour for your enjoyment. You will have multiple opportunities to swim, bask in our tropical sun, leisurely visit "Living History" locales, explore caves, and to snorkel in world renowned the clear blue pristine waters at the best beaches on the island, including the famous "Black Sand Beach" at Anse Chastanet, and the Jalousie Beach nestled between the Pitons. Options include touring the Waterfalls or our famous Volcano. Following this exclusive tour, you will return via an amazing coastal tour as you are Water-Taxied portside to your ship.

and

Herods Land and Sea Safari

Before resuming an amazing coastal tour as you are Water-Taxied portside to your ship. This is a grand continuation of the popular "Sourfriere Island Delight" Tour, with extra special features included. You will be treated to abundant samples of fresh sweet bananas, fresh-baked Creole bread, coconut cakes, Johnny Cakes, fish cakes, and other St. Lucian delicacies throughout the tour. Complimentary water, beers, assorted sodas, rum punch, and other refreshments will be available during the course of the tour for your enjoyment. You will have multiple opportunities to swim, bask in our tropical sun, and to snorkel in the clear blue pristine waters so accalimed world-wide at the best beach on the island, nestled between the Pitons. Folowing this respite, you will treated to a sumptuous authentic Creole buffet in an exclusivly tranquil setting before resuming an amazing coastal tour as you are Water-Taxied portside to your ship.

Sounds like GirlsCruise did Island Splendor...I think I like the land and Sea a little better. When do you cruise, Islabonita? We are booking for a year out (Adventure OS in April 2015)...so who ever goes first can post a review!;)

Edited by Familygoboston

We sail Dec. 11, 2014 so yes , I will post a review.

Excellent...I will look for it, let us know what you decide :D

I just had a reply back from one of the tour companies (Real St Lucia) and they mention that those 60-80 dollar pp fees for ALL the tour companies don't include entrance fees ...so need to add these to the price I guess...

Like all tours on the island this Does Not Include entrance fees to the Volcano/Mud Bath - US$12.00 per person, Botanical Gardens - US$5.00 per person, Tet Paul Nature Trail - US$5.00 per person, and Lunch Cost - US$5 - 15.00 per person.

We did Herod's land and sea tour in March and it was our favorite day of the trip! Herod was a fantastic guide as was his assitant who joined us. Despite being told we'd need at least ten, we ended up a group of eight - four of us from the Jewel and another four from a Carnival ship docked that day. You do see it all in the land and sea tour - the towns, banana plantation, sampling of cassava bread, the sulfer springs, mud bath, waterfall, lunch at his mom's house (fantastic, home cooked meal!!), the beach and then the boat ride back. And the $80pp was, indeed, all inclusive. We did not pay any additional entry fees. Highly, highly recommend this tour for anyone who wants to experience it all.

Thank you everyone for responding.

We have 14 already interested in this tour and I am sure it will be full by the time we sail.

I will be sure and ask about entrance fees to make sure they are included. For $80.00 pp my expectation is that they will be.

Thank you for that tip.

We did Herod's land and sea tour in March and it was our favorite day of the trip! Herod was a fantastic guide as was his assitant who joined us. Despite being told we'd need at least ten, we ended up a group of eight - four of us from the Jewel and another four from a Carnival ship docked that day. You do see it all in the land and sea tour - the towns, banana plantation, sampling of cassava bread, the sulfer springs, mud bath, waterfall, lunch at his mom's house (fantastic, home cooked meal!!), the beach and then the boat ride back. And the $80pp was, indeed, all inclusive. We did not pay any additional entry fees. Highly, highly recommend this tour for anyone who wants to experience it all.

THANK YOU!!!! This is very helpful! I was pretty sure it was all inclusive, glad to have it confirmed.

I sent several emails to that account and have not had a response. It says it can take a while...so I have now sent an email to his gmail account hopefully it is more closely monitored :-)

It sounds like this will be an excellent tour of the Island and all it's beauty.

Thanks for the review!!

I sent several emails to that account and have not had a response. It says it can take a while...so I have now sent an email to his gmail account hopefully it is more closely monitored :-)

It sounds like this will be an excellent tour of the Island and all it's beauty.

If you read TA, the reviews are either, 1 star "we never heard from him", or 5 star "we had the most amazing time"! So that seems to be the situation. I am going to try to go for Herods, but will probably do a private tour with Real St Lucia if we cannot get enough people...we only have 3 now, but there are 3 ships in port on our day, so I am hopeful! I may have to rabble rouse on the Celebrity and Jewel RC's to get more folks.:D

Thanks for the review!!

If you read TA, the reviews are either, 1 star "we never heard from him", or 5 star "we had the most amazing time"! So that seems to be the situation. I am going to try to go for Herods, but will probably do a private tour with Real St Lucia if we cannot get enough people...we only have 3 now, but there are 3 ships in port on our day, so I am hopeful! I may have to rabble rouse on the Celebrity and Jewel RC's to get more folks.:D

I have the opposite. I have 16 people from our rollcall already interested and we don't sail until Dec. Hopefully by sending an email to the gmail account and letting him know I have 16 people and counting...it will encourage a response :-)

Most of the tours I am booking the people have been pretty swift to answer...a few seem to be on island time :rolleyes:;):)

Yes you can do both if you want. It just happened that when our group went, everyone only wanted to go to the waterfall. No one was interested in the Volcano. People says it smells :eek:

Sounds like there are 2 different tours being discussed here:

Herods Island Splendor

This is an exclusive opportunity to tour via private boat with extra special features included. Complimentary water, beers, assorted sodas, rum punch, and other refreshments will be available during the course of the tour for your enjoyment. You will have multiple opportunities to swim, bask in our tropical sun, leisurely visit "Living History" locales, explore caves, and to snorkel in world renowned the clear blue pristine waters at the best beaches on the island, including the famous "Black Sand Beach" at Anse Chastanet, and the Jalousie Beach nestled between the Pitons. Options include touring the Waterfalls or our famous Volcano. Following this exclusive tour, you will return via an amazing coastal tour as you are Water-Taxied portside to your ship.

and

Herods Land and Sea Safari

Before resuming an amazing coastal tour as you are Water-Taxied portside to your ship. This is a grand continuation of the popular "Sourfriere Island Delight" Tour, with extra special features included. You will be treated to abundant samples of fresh sweet bananas, fresh-baked Creole bread, coconut cakes, Johnny Cakes, fish cakes, and other St. Lucian delicacies throughout the tour. Complimentary water, beers, assorted sodas, rum punch, and other refreshments will be available during the course of the tour for your enjoyment. You will have multiple opportunities to swim, bask in our tropical sun, and to snorkel in the clear blue pristine waters so accalimed world-wide at the best beach on the island, nestled between the Pitons. Folowing this respite, you will treated to a sumptuous authentic Creole buffet in an exclusivly tranquil setting before resuming an amazing coastal tour as you are Water-Taxied portside to your ship.

Sounds like GirlsCruise did Island Splendor...I think I like the land and Sea a little better. When do you cruise, Islabonita? We are booking for a year out (Adventure OS in April 2015)...so who ever goes first can post a review!;)

Yes, I did the Island Splendor and had a great time. I'm a boat excursion person. I like to be out in the sun on the water. The idea of being in a bus/van with a group of people driving over winding roads, stopping & going doesn't excite me. One of my sons tends to get car sick.

Herod did a great job and I enjoyed his excursion. I'm sure no matter which one you choose, you'll have a great time.

Yes you can do both if you want. It just happened that when our group went, everyone only wanted to go to the waterfall. No one was interested in the Volcano. People says it smells :eek:

Yes, I did the Island Splendor and had a great time. I'm a boat excursion person. I like to be out in the sun on the water. The idea of being in a bus/van with a group of people driving over winding roads, stopping & going doesn't excite me. One of my sons tends to get car sick.

Herod did a great job and I enjoyed his excursion. I'm sure no matter which one you choose, you'll have a great time.

So Girlscruise- just to clarify...the boat goes both ways...did you stop at the docks and get out at some of the stops, or just cruise past till you got to the 2 beaches? Im with you...I avoid the big buses all the time and try to limit the vans if I can use a boat instead, but we haven't been to St Lucia ever (one of the few!) and I want to see some of the things on "land", so I am trying to choose which to do.

So Girlscruise- just to clarify...the boat goes both ways...did you stop at the docks and get out at some of the stops, or just cruise past till you got to the 2 beaches? Im with you...I avoid the big buses all the time and try to limit the vans if I can use a boat instead, but we haven't been to St Lucia ever (one of the few!) and I want to see some of the things on "land", so I am trying to choose which to do.

We rode past the different areas of St. Lucia and slowed down/stopped while they told us about the area and the people that lived there. Other then stopping to drop off the people to go to the waterfall, we rode directly to the first beach. On the way back, we stopped for about 20 mins at the black sand beach that was suppose to have good snorkeling. We just sat on the beach and grabbed a bottle of sand to take home. It was a small beach with a restaurant and an art gallery I think. Nothing much there.

I liked the tour. I think you were able to see most of St. Lucia without stopping. Most of the areas they showed really aren't "walking through" areas. There was the area where most of the fishermen lived. Then another area was where laundry was done. Just villages in the different inlets of the island. St. Lucia is very rocky and hilly and I hear the roads are thin & windy. Personally, I wouldn't want to be in a van/bus on those roads. If you want some land, I would at least go to the waterfall portion. That puts you on land with a "little tour" and I was told the waterfall wasn't spectacular but it was nice to see (DH & I choose to go directly to the beach).

St. Lucia is the only island we visited that didn't have an Harley Davidson store. I was told there is only one Harley on the island and that I would understand why when I saw the roads. Being there, I understand now. Personally, I think the best way to travel that island would be by boat.

Here are a few pictures to get an idea of the island, the villages and the hills.

1493263_10203222242059912_1752917704_n.jpg

1236441_10203222246220016_1019282121_n.jpg

1557493_10203222249300093_1986551885_n.jpg

1381776_10203222246540024_1895735709_n.jpg

Still nothing from Herod's

I will send another email next week if I don't hear from him over the weekend. Thank goodness we still have lots of time.

I feel a wee bit anxious though since I have other people on the rollcall counting on me for this.

Hopefully I will hear fro them soon 16 pax and counting hoping to do this tour!

Does anyone have an email address? I will compare it to what I have maybe the one I was given is outdated.