Ok we rented the Twizy and I loved it!

kernie968

Our Twizy experience was positive, but my husband is 6'3" tall and has mobility issues which made this not the best experience for him only because it is not easy to get in to the back seat if you are not flexible.

We arrived about 15 minutes early to the Current Vehicles office and they still let us check in. At the time 2 other couples were checking in so they did all of us together. They made sure we had all down loaded Map.Me to our phones and had the plug in stations in our phones. If not they helped everyone get them on our phones.

They took us out to the cars and one by one gave us a quick explanation of the lights, wipers, defroster and how to operate the Twizy. Basically it was push the button for drive, neutral and reverse. We were told to release the emergency brake we needed to step on the brake then release the hand brake. In all my excitement I did not remember that bit of info. They make you drive a lap around the parking lot then tell you to have fun and stay left!

Of we drove! Now I could cross driving on the left side of the road of my bucket list.

We found out quickly that it is hard to see the road names as they are painted on rocks on the side of the road. So I missed our first road, but ended up at another small park. I got out and took pictures, Husband stayed in the car because he said it was hard to get in so he was not looking forward to getting out. I got back in the car and tried to do the hand brake, but it would not budge! I kept trying to get it to release and nothing would happen. Thankfully another Twizy pulled in and we figured out that we had to step on the brake to release the parking brake.

Next we drove to the park we originally planned on stopping at. Husband could not get out of the back seat. The seat slides forward, but does not lean forward, so husband could not figure out how to get out. This was not starting out to good! After a few tries he managed to get out, but not without scraping his calves.

Before we left for Bermuda I watched videos on You Tube of people driving on the left side of the road so I knew what to expect with rotaries and I knew I would get passed a lot by motorcycles. I even got passed by a few cars. So at Current Vehicles they tell you the speed limit is 35K, but they suggest you go with the flow of traffic which was more like 40 to 45K's. I did most 45K and the power line drops pretty fast. You would not be able to go an entire day on one charge if you speed, but we talked to a couple who said they stayed at 35K's and had long lines behind them and people honking at them. I prefer not to piss off the locals so I was comfortable at 45K's.

Everything comes up fast. Husband was navigating with the Maps.me and would say we have a long ways to go and then in a few minutes we would be there. Husband at first wanted to just take the Twizy back since he could not get out of the car without a huge struggle, but after a couple of times we figured out if I pushed his right foot he could get out.

There is a small storage in the front of the car. It would hold your phone or a GPS. There is storage behind the back seat. It is not a lot of space but we it would hold a beach towel or two, water bottle and some sunscreen. There was room in between husbands legs for a small bag and I drove with my camera on my lap.

It was only in the 70's when we were there and my husband said he has a nice breeze in the back seat. I felt that it was warm in the front seat. There are no vents to open so the big windshield block any air that I would get in the front. It was not too hot in the front unless we were sitting at a traffic light in the sun.

Husband said he was surprised how much space he had in the back seat. He had no problem looking out and seeing everything. We did not have any rain while we drove so I cannot tell you how wet you would get, but it did rain over night and there was a lot of water pooled in the car. It took a while to get the seats dried.

We saw a lot of places that I had always wanted to see and decided to go back to the Dockyard and charge the Twizy. We had driven for 3 hours and used half of our battery. We knew the charge station was supposed to be near the Frog and Onion and after two laps around the Dockyard and not seeing a charging station I had to go and ask where it was. It is in an alley and hard to find. There was 4 charging posts at the Dockyard,so the couple who had rented the Twizy that we talked to said all 4 stations were being used so they had to wait till the morning to charge their Twizy. I think current vehicles should remind people to move there cars after they are charged.

The next morning after drying off our seats I went to start the Twizy and it would not start. I was thinking how much I wanted to come back and do a review saying how great the Twizy was but we were having a few problems. Thankfully another Twizy user came to start their car and helped us out. He just jiggled the steering wheel and it started. That was when we noticed there was a trouble shooting guide on the roof of the car.It would have been nice if the Current Vehicle has showed us that.

We drove to beaches and we were the only people there. Every where we drove people laughed and waved at us. We kind of felt like circus clowns in a tiny car, but I loved the experience. It was nice to see parts of the island that we wanted to see and stay as long as we wanted. I felt very safe driving the Twizy. Being that it is a narrow car it is perfect for the small windy roads. I was nervous a few times when I hit a bump in the road that the Twizy would break, but it held up. It has plenty of power to stay up with the speed the locals travel at.

Overall I would rent a Twizy again, but not with my husband. It was too hard for him to get in and out of. We actually saw everything we wanted to see and returned the Twizy early only because of my husbands mobility issues. If you rent one watch the videos of people driving in Bermuda and it will make it easier for you to adjust. I actually felt like driving on the left was natural.

When you rent the Twizy you have to go to the Hamilton Princess in Hamilton to pick it up. We took the ferry over and it is about a seven minute walk to the Current Vehicle building which is in the parking lot of the Hamilton Princess. It is all sidewalks so it is safe. Rent the Twizy you will love it. I actually almost forgot when I got home and tried to drive on the left side of the road.

Did you have to return it at the end back to Hamilton Princess, or can you leave it at the dockyard? I think I know the answer but asking anyhow. :)

Currently they only have two pick up and drop off locations. The Hamilton Princess or Fairmont Southampton. All they have at the Dockyard are charging stations. All the info is on the rental companies website.

https://www.currentvehicles.com/

We are renting one in June. Thank you so much for posting. My husband will be driving and I will be in the back. As a size 16 lady who is 5.4inches with one bad knee, I am a bit concerned about getting in and out. Do you think it is doable? We are going with two other couples and I can see where this would be a fun way to see the Island. We are just renting for one day so hopefully, we have enough power to enjoy the day without plugging in. Was there anything that you did that was a "must do?"

For getting in the Twizy in to the back seat you have to enter on the left side and slide your left leg behind the front seat over to the other side, so it depends on which leg is bad. I will try to post the pictures I took of my husband getting into the car when I get some time. The seat does not bend forward and my husband felt he would have had no problems getting in and out if it had.

As for places to see we stopped at plenty of beaches where we were the only people there. Everyone goes to the popular beaches. My two favorite places on the island are Tom Moores jungles and Admirality house park. Both are amazing places to spend time.

I do not think the heat will be bad if you are moving, but when you have to stop at a traffic light it will not be pleasant. They have a few vents on the front side of the door so you get some air. There are not a lot of traffic lights unless you drive through a village or city. Hopefully I can add some pictures this weekend.

I do not think the heat will be bad if you are moving, but when you have to stop at a traffic light it will not be pleasant. They have a few vents on the front side of the door so you get some air. There are not a lot of traffic lights unless you drive through a village or city. Hopefully I can add some pictures this weekend.

We are renting in mid June so it shouldn’t be too hot. We were in Bermuda two years ago and the traffic was heavy in spots. I actually felt sorry for the motor scooter drivers as the cars and taxis drivers seemed frustrated at the scooters slow speeds. We are looking forward to exploring on our own. My husband has driven on the left on previous vacations and will lead the way. Should be fun with two other couples.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

July and August can be very hot and humid. One thing it seems to me is that is that there would be a lot of mental energy expended driving on unfamiliar roads, among local and sometimes congested traffic in a foreign country. I think I would get tired out pretty fast. I think I would rather leave the driving to taxi and bus drivers. The Twizy does sounds like a good option for those who can flow with that kind of stress.

What did you do about car insurance? We have a Twizy rented for October and I know about the mandatory insurance. However, I found out today that the mandatory insurance does not cover damage to the Twizy. If you scrape the car, or you have an accident, you are responsible for the repairs. The insurance purchased with the car is a Third Party Insurance and only covers damage to other vehicles. I received confirmation of that information today directly from the company. Did they offer you additional options or did you purchase something through your personal car insurance?

What did you do about car insurance? We have a Twizy rented for October and I know about the mandatory insurance. However, I found out today that the mandatory insurance does not cover damage to the Twizy. If you scrape the car, or you have an accident, you are responsible for the repairs. The insurance purchased with the car is a Third Party Insurance and only covers damage to other vehicles. I received confirmation of that information today directly from the company. Did they offer you additional options or did you purchase something through your personal car insurance?

I did not read all the paperwork. I thought that was included in the insurance we purchased with the Twizy. Good thing we did not have an accident.

I thought all the credit card companies had rental insurance protection.

My husband and I just reserved a Twizy for two days the first week of June. Is there parking available near the Kings wharf dockyard?

We left our car at the charging station all night in the alley behind the Frog and Onion, but I saw the moped were parked by the ship so we asked a guy working with a "ask me"shirt and he told us to park a little to the left of the moped area.

I want to add pictures, but every time I try it does not work. I watched You Tubes videos and read directions about adding pictures, but nothing is working for me. I will bug my tech support(son) to come visit and help me!

I want to add pictures, but every time I try it does not work. I watched You Tubes videos and read directions about adding pictures, but nothing is working for me. I will bug my tech support(son) to come visit and help me!

I use Shutterfly, and it is really easy to post pixs.

• Select the pix and enlarge.
  • Put the cursor over the pix and right click.
  • From the drop down menu, select Copy Image
  • Go to the post you want the image in and Paste (Ctrl V).

SBtS