Tour from Southampton to London

Can anyone tell me what is a good excursion to take from Southampton to London? We are doing a British Isle Cruise and will only be in Southampton part of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wouldn’t do it myself, unless you do ship tour. The traffic can be quite horrible. Last time we sailed out of Southampton our scheduled bus from London was late by 90 minutes. We were glad it was the day before the sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used Southampton White Taxi, in our case for an excursion at the end of our cruise (Royal Princess last May), stopped at Salisbury Cathedral, Stonehenge, and Window Castle. Dropped us off at our hotel in London. Good tour, easy arrangements.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We used Southampton White Taxi, in our case for an excursion at the end of our cruise (Royal Princess last May), stopped at Salisbury Cathedral, Stonehenge, and Window Castle. Dropped us off at our hotel in London. Good tour, easy arrangements.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the OP needs to get back on the ship though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on the time you have you could look at a train from Southampton to London.

https://www.thetrainline.com › Train Times › London Waterloo to Southampton Central[/url]

The fastest journey time is 1 hour 14 minutes. On an average weekday, there are 96 trains per day travelling from London Waterloo to Southampton Central. The journey time may be longer on weekends and holidays.

Alternatively, consider the Isle of Wight - there is a ferry from Southampton, Stonehenge - probably a cab/taxi, unless there is a suitable tour, or the City of Winchester also easy to reach by train. I always think Windsor is a good option, but it is around one hour by car with a good journey and no traffic issues.

Hope these thoughts help.

Central London is 65 busy miles from Southampton.

With a full day it's possible but IMHO not worthwhile.

But you're saying "part of the day".

Southampton is a busy turnaround port, several cruises per day start or finish in Southampton.

But it's rarely a mid-cruise port-of-call.

Is this a cruise starting from Dublin?

Checking a couple of dates it seems that the hours in Southampton are 8am to 2pm.

If so, London is most definitely a no-no.

Salisbury + Stonehenge is a possibility, but the timing is tight to do it the usual way (by train + ho-ho). I'm tolerably confident that the ship will offer that trip.

Or the cathedral city of Winchester is also possible, and if you're happy with public transport it's only about 15 minutes by train. Trains run every 15 - 20 minutes (fewer on sundays) & the fare is about £10 round-trip.

If you're happier to take a private tour to somewhere like Salisbury+Stonehenge or Winchester, check out http://www.discoverthesouth.co.uk/

This is the touring arm of West Quay Cars, used by many Cruise Critic members for their airport transfers. For just two of you it'll probably cost the same as ship's offerings or more. But if you find sharers eg through your cruise RollCall it can work out cheaper as well as better.

For other nearby places like Portsmouth or the New Forest or the Isle of Wight I fear that you wouldn't get value out of your short time in port.

Southampton is a port city, not a tourist destination.

But it has plenty to interest the visitor for a few hours.......

The Tudor Merchant's House is well worth a visit, and close by are the Bargate, Westgate Hall, the Medieval Merchant's House, and other historic buildings and pubs within the city walls.

All very walkable from Ocean Cruise Terminal (where your ship is likely to berth) or a short taxi ride from Mayflower Terminal (which Princess use from time to time).

http://www.discoversouthampton.co.uk/visit/things-to-do

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

This cruise is starting from Southampton September 10, 2019

Royal Princess departs Ocean cruise terminal 5pm. So you'll need to be aboard by about 3pm.

When do you arrive in Southampton?

And from where?

Heathrow airport? Or Gatwick? And flight arrival time.

Or from elsewhere in the UK?

Or are you on back-to-back cruises?

In order to help you we need to know more than "in Southampton part of the day".

JB :)

Are you looking for a tour on disembarkation day from the ship to London and ending up in London or at an airport?

If so, will you be staying overnight of flying out that day? If flying out, what time is your flight.

Knowing the above allows a better response to your question.

Can anyone tell me what is a good excursion to take from Southampton to London? We are doing a British Isle Cruise and will only be in Southampton part of the day.

You really need to define your statement ‘part of the day’ as those of us who know the area need to know how much time you have.

If it is an 8am arrival and a 4pm departure, I would take the train to Brockenhurst, a pretty little town in the heart of the forest, and worth a 30 minute look around before taking the branch line train to Lymington (get off at Lymington Town and not Lymington Pier).

Enjoy the waterfront and the shops in the high street and take a pub lunch at the Ship Inn on the town Quay.

Then retrace your steps back to Southampton.

Check the train times on trainline.com but the journey takes around 30 minutes (including the change at Brockenhurst) and the cost is roughly £9 per person each way.

Trains run approximately every half an hour. Also, if something goes wrong with your plans, Lymington is sufficiently close to your ship to mean that getting a taxi in an emergency will not be ridiculously expensive - the Ship Inn will have a number for the local taxi firm.

Alternatively, instead of going to Lymington, you could take the ferry to Cowes on the Isle of Wight.

Edited by Corfe Mixture