In suite dinning course by course question.

mklions

We are sailing on the Spirit this coming November and previously after a long days excursion my wife and I sometimes like to have our dinner served on our balcony by our butler course by course from the main dinning room menu. Is this still available?

Kind regards,

MKLions

I have not been on Spirit since the stretching and addition of various restaurants. But I understand from various posts that the closure of The Restaurant (MDR) has also meant the end of the ability to order course-by-course from the MDR dinner menu. I suppose the logic is that, since there was no longer an MDR/Restaurant, they would have to offer options from a variety of outlets, and that was simply not practical.

One can of course order from the quite ample Room Service menu. But that's clearly not like ordering from The Restaurant menu as was previously possible.

The work around is simple and obvious.

Order a course at a time. As each course is delivered, order the next one.

I believe this is not such a good plan as it takes some time for each order to arrive, dinner would take a very long time. Also the room service menu is not constructed to be a multi course meal but rather a one course meal. We used it and it was ok but not as nice as a course by course from a dinning room. SS defends this plan as the menu is available 24 hours a day anyplace on the ship so if you want a steak by the pool at 2pm it's ok. You may also put in a special order with your butler for the next day.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Edited by hypercafe

I believe this is not such a good plan as it takes some time for each order to arrive, dinner would take a very long time. Also the room service menu is not constructed to be a multi course meal but rather a one course meal. We used it and it was ok but not as nice as a course by course from a dinning room. SS defends this plan as the menu is available 24 hours a day anyplace on the ship so if you want a steak by the pool at 2pm it's ok.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Then have it all delivered in one go if that is better for you.

I agree, but the in suite menu is limited and not as good as the MDR menu as was.

A few weeks ago on Whisper, I ignored the menu on one night and called room service, told them what I fancied and asked whether any of it was possible and everything was fine. I wasn’t too demanding and it all seemed edible if not great.

Well we asked for lunch at the pool bar at 3pm and we’re told they had finished serving and the only option on the ship was to go upstairs and order a pizza. This we did and ended up with something that looked even less edible than what that strange man making sandals by the pool was offering.

Having just returned from the ' New ' Spirit I asked our Butler the specific question of what was possible should we wish to Dine in our Suite. He indicated that it is usual to Order from the In- Suite Menu but given Notice '' Most things are possible '' - also he said that it would be no problem to serve Course by Course and a table could be set up on the Veranda if preferred. We did not use the Service but clearly most sensible requests can be accommodated if tackled correctly.

I hope this helps but maybe its all down to the Butler and how he/she interacts with a specific Guest ?

Having just returned from the ' New ' Spirit I asked our Butler the specific question of what was possible should we wish to Dine in our Suite. He indicated that it is usual to Order from the In- Suite Menu but given Notice ''Most things are possible '' - also he said that it would be no problem to serve Course by Course and a table could be set up on the Veranda if preferred. We did not use the Service but clearly most sensible requests can be accommodated if tackled correctly. I hope this helps but maybe its all down to the Butler and how he/she interacts with a specific Guest ?

Appreciate these important details and this follow-up. Sounds as if SS offers options, if and if. Good background. Asking is always good!! Our experience has been that many or most "reasonable" requests will be accommodated. Maybe??!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 229,008 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Having just returned from the ' New ' Spirit I asked our Butler the specific question of what was possible should we wish to Dine in our Suite. He indicated that it is usual to Order from the In- Suite Menu but given Notice '' Most things are possible '' - also he said that it would be no problem to serve Course by Course and a table could be set up on the Veranda if preferred. We did not use the Service but clearly most sensible requests can be accommodated if tackled correctly.

I hope this helps but maybe its all down to the Butler and how he/she interacts with a specific Guest ?

Hope you had a great cruise.We have just returned from a cruise on our favourite Wind.MDR quality of food and service was the best experience yet in 20 years of SS cruising.It was still possible to order whatever you wanted in MDR or room service with 24 hours notice toMaitre d .Hence we had many favourite dishes eg lobster Thermidor and many others even though they did not appear on Menus....great service.Terrazza we found average so cancelled other reservations after first visit.Lunch time at Hot Rocks provided an excellent variety and quality of choice and great service.In contrast evening menu at Hot Rocks was boring unless you like enormous steaks and fries! Mayflower......hope it is as good when we meet up next year on the Wind!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can I echo what Brimary has said.We had a wonderful cruise on the Wind all staff were superb and food was excellent. The voices of Silversea were extremely talented and we had the best cruise director of the fleet Colin Brown. Weather was outstanding no jacket at the North Cape!

Good Afternoon Brimary - great to hear your thoughts on The Wind - gives us hope to go on ahead of June 2019. The latest ' News ' regarding the Takeover and Ship ' Enhancements ' is interesting - what do you feel it means regarding the future of The Wind ? - it seems that Zodiacs are to be added to The Whisper ?

We were much relieved to experience a superb Cruise on The Spirit after all the Downbeat Reports - now await The Muse in Sept with some anticipation !!!!

Continue to have Fun and look forward to seeing you next year.

Good Afternoon Brimary - great to hear your thoughts on The Wind - gives us hope to go on ahead of June 2019. The latest ' News ' regarding the Takeover and Ship ' Enhancements ' is interesting - what do you feel it means regarding the future of The Wind ? - it seems that Zodiacs are to be added to The Whisper ?

We were much relieved to experience a superb Cruise on The Spirit after all the Downbeat Reports - now await The Muse in Sept with some anticipation !!!!

Continue to have Fun and look forward to seeing you next year.

Good afternoon Mayflower,hope you join ahead of June 2019,we join on 16/5/19 for 3 back to backs.

Re the Takeover of SS could write a book on the subject..........suffice to say we joined the HD table on the first formal night.He started with SS three weeks ago from ,you guessed it Royal Caribbean!!! Interesting evening ....the HD arrived 20 minutes after his five guests and left before coffee was served!! He never spoke to us again despite passing us on the pool deck most days.We never saw him speak to crew either.Swimming pool was not open any of the first week of two at 7.30 am which resulted in requests from ourselves and other SS regulars for the pool and Jaccuzi to provide the facility we have enjoyed for 20 years.We were granted a meeting with HD on day 7 at which he said instructions had been given to staff to comply with our request for normal service at the Pool deck to commence! It only happened without us having to seek out staff on three out of the last eight days of the cruise.Has Royal Caribbean already started to influence with the appointment of HD from RC shortly after the announcement of the takeover? Time will tell and we hope the many plus points re the cruise are not dissipated as time and Senior Officer appointees go on and at least the Wind can remain as a LUXURY cruise ship and not descend into delivering mass market cruising experience on such a superb small vessel.

Good Morning Brimary - We join on 9th June so you should have got everyone sorted prior to our arrival !!!!!

Your experience of the new HD is somewhat worrying if his attitude and approach to Guests & Crew is indicative of a RC standard - however I am sure you will agree that we have seen some ' Individuals ' on Silversea in the past and they may not represent an ' across the board ' approach.

The Pool situation is an example of not considering what Guests want, against what is easier to provide - however at least I hope that the Pool was not a ' Boiling Cauldron ' as we had to suffer on a number of occasions when too much attention was given to the wishes of one Guest ???

Good Morning Brimary - We join on 9th June so you should have got everyone sorted prior to our arrival !!!!!

Your experience of the new HD is somewhat worrying if his attitude and approach to Guests & Crew is indicative of a RC standard - however I am sure you will agree that we have seen some ' Individuals ' on Silversea in the past and they may not represent an ' across the board ' approach.

The Pool situation is an example of not considering what Guests want, against what is easier to provide - however at least I hope that the Pool was not a ' Boiling Cauldron ' as we had to suffer on a number of occasions when too much attention was given to the wishes of one Guest ???

Hi Mayflower, Look forward to meeting up again on 9/6/19.

Re the Boiling Cauldren Just the opposite the advertised HEATED pool did not have the heating switched on until the first guest had the courage to enter the freezing water.Hence it was very quiet in the morning but activity built up in the afternoon when the pool became heated as advertised.Hope the Wind goes back to the usual pool deck rules we have enjoyed for 20 years despite the RC recruit currently being the HD !!

Unless things have changed, we've always been able to order from the MDR menu for in-suite dining and the meal was served course by course. Our butler did the whole job; that's the key. If you have a good butler you're golden!:)

Unless things have changed, we've always been able to order from the MDR menu for in-suite dining and the meal was served course by course. Our butler did the whole job; that's the key. If you have a good butler you're golden!:)

Things have changed on Spirit and Muse since there is no longer an MDR and thus no MDR menu.

Course by course dinners are one of the advertised luxuries. The butler (or a substitute) will carry the dish into your cabin and put it on your (converted from "centre table" with a wooden "adaptor" on top) fully linen covered table. So you feel you are in the restaurant. Usually any dish available in any restaurant that does not need pre-booking or special arrangement will be accepted.