Duty Free in Miami ?

RJB

There are no stores in the port area at all. I remember a thread for folks looking for alcohol to ask their cabdriver or Uber to stop at a liquor store not far away. I am sure someone will chip in that has brought onboard liquor, but no duty free.

Too bad. It has been a while since we left from Miami and it would have been easier and cheaper to bring it from home. No biggie. :)

Help me out here, don't you just live an hour or so north of Miami? Don't know how you're getting to the port but I'm sure you should have lots of opportunities to pick up a bottle or two on the way. Or pack it a few days before you leave home.

help me out here, don't you just live an hour or so north of miami? Don't know how you're getting to the port but i'm sure you should have lots of opportunities to pick up a bottle or two on the way. Or pack it a few days before you leave home.

+ 1

Is there a duty free store in the Oceania terminal in Miami? Would like to pick up a bottle of vodka before boarding the ship. Thanks for any help you can give. :):):)

Take a taxi or Uber to Total Wines (yes, they have spirits too) on the outskirts of South Beach. Their prices (even with tax) will usually be far better than any "duty free" shop.

If my understanding is correct, Total Wine may also deliver a larger/minimum order (like a case of wine) to your hotel.

Of course, not all cruise lines allow a case. But, it's not an issue with Oceania.

Take a taxi or Uber to Total Wines (yes, they have spirits too) on the outskirts of South Beach. Their prices (even with tax) will usually be far better than any "duty free" shop.

If my understanding is correct, Total Wine may also deliver a larger/minimum order (like a case of wine) to your hotel.

Of course, not all cruise lines allow a case. But, it's not an issue with Oceania.

Good to know there is a Total Wine there. I'll plan to hit it before our cruise!

RUB, considering what even an inside cabin costs, get one of those special four pocket Publix wine shopping bags, fill it and carry right on board. Nothing could be easier.

Mary

We pack very light weight collapsible cardboard wine carriers (winery tasting rooms provide them) in checked baggage.

They only weigh a few ounces each and come in various sizes up to 6 bottles. We fill them with wine/spirits purchased at the embarkation port (e.g., Total Wine in Miami) and carry them on at boarding. And they can be tossed when you're done with them.710658697_AdobePhotoshopExpress_2018_09_25_075814.jpg.98b2bfed068ea628f0f182b827b47052.jpg

Help me out here, don't you just live an hour or so north of Miami? Don't know how you're getting to the port but I'm sure you should have lots of opportunities to pick up a bottle or two on the way. Or pack it a few days before you leave home.

Always have a car service for everything I need. Just would have been easier and cheaper to buy at the port and carry it on as we do at most foreign ports. Guess I will just have to go to Costco a day or 2 before. As I said before no big deal. :)

WE have a Total Wine in town also, but their prices are not even close to a real "Duty Free Shop". We get their newsletter each month with most of their prices and they are pretty good but not always the cheapest. In a lot of cases Costco is better if you are willing to buy the 1.75 size. Plenty of places to go. :):):)

WE have a Total Wine in town also, but their prices are not even close to a real "Duty Free Shop". We get their newsletter each month with most of their prices and they are pretty good but not always the cheapest. In a lot of cases Costco is better if you are willing to buy the 1.75 size. Plenty of places to go. :):):)

I see you're from Florida. Do you have BevMo? Their spirits prices are good. Even better sometimes is the Safeway Supermarkets chain (mostly west coast?).

I'm still not a big fan of Duty Free shops. Beyond a few of their "loss leaders," the better prices IMO really are at Costco, Safeway et al. The other issue is that the Duty Free shops do not carry many artisanal spirits like Hangar One Vodka or Junipero Gin (made locally in the SF Bay Area). The wine selections at Duty Free are fairly mediocre. I'd rather do the research when our itinerary includes wine producing regions and use a local well respected retailer (even if there's no price break). And if we sail out of SF, we'll bring wine from our own collection of NorCal estate wines.

Well since the OP is NOT flying out of the USA the Duty free option is a moot point

Buy someplace local that fits your budget or just buy drinks onboard

We do not have to fly out. We are sailing out. Next stop is Havana so that would also be duty free.

We do not have to fly out. We are sailing out. Next stop is Havana so that would also be duty free.

then the duty free shops are missing a golden opportunity by not having shops at the ports

buy some in Havana then

then the duty free shops are missing a golden opportunity by not having shops at the ports

buy some in Havana then

It seems to be that they are, but that's their business. Big duty free at MIA. I will bring my own and not worry about it. Will try to get some rum in Cuba. :):):)

buy some in Havana then

Based on most cruise ships not allowing alcohol to be brought aboard and multi terminals with a max of one ship per day, the sales would be lackluster adn not worth the cost. Remember, airport duty frees are open all day with passengers coming thru all day. That said, after looking at some of the pricing, may be duty free but, profits overcome the duty savings and not worth stopping.

Many airports are designed to funnel in coming passengers thru the duty free which helps sales. Would have to rebuild the cruise terminals to make that happen for very little gain. Simply not a business decision almost anyone will make.

Based on most cruise ships not allowing alcohol to be brought aboard and multi terminals with a max of one ship per day, the sales would be lackluster adn not worth the cost. Remember, airport duty frees are open all day with passengers coming thru all day. That said, after looking at some of the pricing, may be duty free but, profits overcome the duty savings and not worth stopping.

Many airports are designed to funnel in coming passengers thru the duty free which helps sales. Would have to rebuild the cruise terminals to make that happen for very little gain. Simply not a business decision almost anyone will make.

Most cruise terminals overseas have duty free shops and seem to make out very well. I guess it is up to the port operators to have them or not. Really no big deal for me. :):)

Most cruise terminals overseas have duty free shops and seem to make out very well. I guess it is up to the port operators to have them or not. Really no big deal for me. :):)

Since this was titled Duty Free in Miami, was thinking more of ports like Miami and Fort Lauderdale where there are separate terminals. Large single terminals like overseas where all the passengers for different ships go thru the same terminal are a different animal and duties and taxes are higher overseas than in the US so diffenent situations.