Regal princess canada/new england ~ exploring

vadersprincess12

Hello Everyone ~ DH and I will sailing on the Regal Princess to Canada/New England. We don't usually book excursions ~ we are the type of people who like to walk and explore at ports of call when able. Does anyone have any information or suggestions on places we could explore in Bar Harbor, Boston, Newport, St. John's New Brunswick and Halifax?

Thanks.

The town of Bar Harbor is easily walkable, but the big draw for BH is a tour of Acadia National Park for which an excursion would be necessary. There are 2 independent tour companies that do the park. Oli's Trolley and Acadia National Park tours. A CC member recently posted his review of Oli's Trolley 4 hour tour.

You can do Newport DIY. There is public transportation to take you to the mansions and Cliff Walk. Shopping is a short walk from the tender dock

SBtS

I've been to Saint John (St. John's is Newfoundland, so you need to be careful with the spelling for searches) and Halifax.

The first time to Saint John we did a pub tour through the cruise line - all walking. The second time we did a kayak excursion with lobster lunch through the line. I'd check Trip Advisor for things to do in Saint John, I think there were several potential spots in walking distance when we went last October.

We did a DIY walking tour in Halifax and went to the Citadel (uphill, but doable for us), local restaurant for lunch (Your Father's Mustache), and Public Gardens on the way back. There is the Harbor Walk too with lots to see, and several museums within walking distance. I think there are breweries too, but we were good with what we had at lunch.

Check out the Freedom Trail for Boston. https://www.thefreedomtrail.org Boston is a walking city. If you want to see the Constitution, what I suggest is to first take a cab or Uber to the Constitution (museum opens at 9 am, the ship at 10 am). Then take the MBTA water taxi ($3.50/pp) to Long Wharf for your mini cruise through the Upper Harbor. Walk along the waterfront through Christopher Columbus Park into the North End to pick up the Freedom Trail to walk back to the Boston Common via Faneuil Hall. IMO the stretch of Trail between the Constitution and the North End is not interesting.

At the Park Street MBTA station on the edge of the Common, take the Red Line direction Braintree or Ashmont ($2.75/pp) two stops to South Station to free transfer (do not exit - follow the signs to the Silver Line) to take the SL2 bus back to the Black Falcon Terminal.

In Saint John the Museum of New Brunswick is very close to the cruise terminal, and the Loyalist House is also within easy walking distance.

In Halifax the Maritime Museum is within easy walking distance and the Immigration Museum is even closer to their cruise terminal (depending on your berth position). For those who love art museums there is an excellent one located very near the Maritime Museum. And for those who love a great lobster roll the best we have ever had is the "Lobster Shack" located in the Goodwater Seafood shop in Halifax's Seaport Market -- they sell various sizes but the large lobser roll with a side salad was C$17 this past July.