Questions from a single female

NHgirl

I booked a cruise on Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas for the end of January. I am a 32 year old woman traveling alone and a first time cruiser. Is this type of travel fairly safe for the solo traveler...onboard as well as shore excursions? Are there activities that include solo travelers? Is it easy to get a taxi from the Miami airport to the ship? I am really excited about it, but just want an idea of what to expect.

Thanks for any input!

Dear NHGirl,

I just cruised alone on Infinity last month. I travel a lot and am pretty safety concious. I felt very, very safe on the ship. Sometimes I worry about dark stairways and deserted halls in hotels. But on the ship, there are room stewards, waiters, ships officers, etc. wandering around all the time, day and night! I hardly walked 20 steps without someone from Celebrity passing me, smiling, and speaking to me. I try to take the stairs for exercise, but sometimes give up in hotels because they just seem too icky. But on the ship, they were right in the center, well lit, and constantly travelled by passengers and employees.

As for shore excursions, I can't give you too much. I cruised around the Hawaiian islands, and Hawaii is my home. I just have a sense of what situations are safe and what are not here in my own backyard. I am sure others will weigh in with their opinions. My guess is that official shore excursions sold by your ship will have lots of other passengers along.

I will share with you the three best things I did to make my experience successful. First, I logged on to the roll call for my ship and started corresponding with people there. By the time I boarded, I knew the names of several people and we looked out for each other. That was fun. Then we all rendezvoused at the Cruise Critics party. Second is that I asked for second seating, table for 10. Our table got off to a bit of a slow start, with just three of us the first night. But we eventually added 5 other regulars. These were all people who wanted to meet others too. I enjoyed so much seeing them every evening. I would run into some of them on the ship or on shore, and we would spend some time together. That was fun, too. And finally, I ate most of my meals in the formal dining room. At the buffet people sit at small tables either alone or with their party usually. But in the formal dining room at breakfast and lunch they put you with others to make up full tables. Usually tables of 6. I met a lot of great people that way, too.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise! Hope my suggestions are helpful to you.

Hi:) Cruising solo is very safe.....I am going next month and this will be 5th solo cruise in a row.

I agree with the previous poster....request a large table for dinner....and check out your ROLL CALL...if there is one, become an active participant! Great way to meet other people. IF there isn't one started yet....You be the originator...and hopefully others will then follow!

There are usually different activities on board...not necessarily geared towards singles but for anyone....I always play the trivia on sea days...it is alot of fun:)

I also book my excursions through the ship......it might cost more, but that is another good way of meeting people....also, when are you going through the cruiseline, IF that excursion is running late, the ship will wait...but if you are booking through and Independent Tour, and they are running a bit late..the ship will not wait........and that has happened before. So, being on my own, I just prefer the ship's choices.

I LOVE sailing solo........can do what I want, when I want......do something, or nothing at all......it is a FABULOUS Vacation:D .....hope you enjoy your cruise!

HELLO,

I AM A SOLO CRUISER.

I ENJOY CRUISING..

I FEEL SAFE ON THE SHIP..

I DON'T DO ANY EXCURSIONS.

I JUST GET OFF THE SHIP AND WALK AROUND

ALITTLE,LOOK AROUND IN THE STORES AND MAYBE

BUY A T-SHIRT AND POST CARDS...

I AM GETTING READY FOR MY 10th CRUISE-12/18

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE...............

• 1 month later...

I just returned from my 1st solo cruise, also on the Majesty. I felt totally safe onboard the ship. I didn't do any excursions as I have been to Naussa many times before, just walked around a little & shopped. Same thing in Key West. I agree if you can get an active Roll Call going that will add a lot to your experience, unfortunately there was little response on my sailing.

I personally did not enjoy the solo experience but that is probably due more to personal circumstances.

Enjoy, the Majesty is a lovely ship. Forgot to add, cabs will be plentiful both at the airport & the port for your return.

I cruise alone, albeit my sweetie works on a ship with his hours we still don't have tons of time together. Last time I sailed I lucked out and met a wonderful gal close to my age who was also sailing alone, her cabin was even down the hall from mine. We became fast friends and remain friends to this day. What was weird was I just happened to plop next to her at the pool the very first afternoon. We did our own things during the day but usually hooked up for shows and dinner as bf was usually working.

Nonetheless, what I learned on my own when I wasn't with her or with him is that when you seem to be enjoying yourself you somehow "naturally" attract people to you because people want to be a part of your fun. In St. Kitts I was goofing around on the beach with some of the locals and ended up making several friends from my ship in the process and also hooked up with them. I tend to be outgoing anyway, but it seems like when people are on a cruise and relaxed and out of their normal environment somehow everyone loosens up and its easier to become friends with others (either that or its all the rum and the tropical sun?) :) Menina

Hi!! I agree with the other responders. My last two cruises were solo. I'm a 36 year old female and felt very safe on the boats. You can go on the deck at 3 a.m. in the morning, and sit and enjoy the ocean without wondering if someone is going to attack you. Also there are always ship employees on duty 24 hours that are around.

Still you want to use common sense on ensuring your safety (not leaving your bag with money or valuables lying about, leaving your cabin door unlock,etc).

On shore, if you are alone, if you maintain a look of being confindent, being firm and polite, everything will be fine girlfriend :D !!

Hi, I am a solo cruiser too, in my early 50's. I am disalbed but go on ship tours as I know the ship will wait for me if we run behind time. I have been up on deck late at night and one of the ship's officers came by and said hi. We talked for about 15 mins. I went back inside and went to my own bed, he did not follow except to see me inside the ship's elevator. I find this type of travel to be safer then just going to say Vegas on your own. Just use common sense and you will be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add my two cents worth....I've travelled 5 out of 9 cruises solo and agree with everything said by the previous posters. You will feel very safe on the ship..crew and passengers will be welcoming. Taking ship shore excursions are recommended if you feel a bit skeptical about being out and about on your own. Once you garner some confidence you'll be able to arrange your own.

I will iterate airlink diva's advice while on shore alone...look confident, know where you're going, and keep a mental track of where the ship is. Try to do some research on the port beforehand. Try to get a map and study the routes back to the ship. But believe me, I have always found the port folks to be very friendly and helpful when I've needed some information - remember we are their bread and butter. Believe your instincts...if you feel wary about walking down a side street, then don't. Use the same commonsense that you would in your own city. Have fun and enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Well - It looks like i too, will be traveling solo- my friend just backed out for monetary reasons - but I have traveled alot alone but never on a cruise before and I was feeling a little anxiety over the dinner thing. I am in my early 40's - I don't want to look too strange..with a bunch of couples around etc....???

I will be going on my second cruise as a "single" in April (my sixth cruise . . . first four of which were with my former spouse). If I have as much fun on this second solo cruise as I did my first . . . wow!

I had a wonderful time on my last cruise and felt totally safe both on and off the ship. I planned all my shore excrusions on my own (not via the ship . . . less expensive, less people and a heck of a lot more fun). But, one just has to be careful . . . as my granny used to say . . . "don't take any wooden nickels" . . . translated, just use common sense when in foreign ports and smile a lot. <G>

• 3 weeks later...

I am so glad I decided to check the single cruise threads I was basically just staying on the main thread for RCCL. The advice and information from everyone is putting my mind a little more at ease. I am sailing on the Jewel, Sept. 22nd out of Boston and I was orginally suppose to be cruising with friends of mine (a husband & wife couple) but the husband's new job wouldn't allow the time off even though it was planned before he started the job. So she cancelled. I said the heck with it and decided to go solo I am in my early 40's (boy I never thought I would actually say that nevermind put it in writing....haha). This will be my first solo trip anywhere. I too was wondering about the dinner arrangements. We were originally booked for the early seating (when they were going) but I changed mine now to late seating. According to my reservation papers it looks like I am to be seated at a table of six. Do you think I should ask about changing to a larger table. Or should I just take a chance as to where they decide to put the single lady.

Hi again:)

Calgal, I hope you won't feel out of place. I never do but I think a lot depends on one's personality. I am very outgoing and have never thought about being out of place.

Most cruisers are extremely friendly:D

LJ, I have a suggestion. Usually most Maitr'd's are very accomodating. I normally prefer an 8 top but I would say, try your table on the first evening. Who knows maybe ya'll will hit it off splendidly.

If you don't feel comfortable by the end of that first dinner, go see the Maitr'd. They will do their best to change you to another table. Oh, I always enjoy late seating too:)

Also, do you have a ROLL CALL going on? And how active is it? I have had my TA cross-reference a few people with me before and then you sort of know the people at your table~which can be fun too:). Of course, that would depend how friendly the folks on your roll call are with each other!

Lois, I'll see how the first night goes and take it from there. I really am so glad I check this thread. I too am usually outgoing and I will talk to anyone and everyone, so as for me I'm not really worried about that part it was just the dinner with all the couples. Last May on the Explorer I was with friends and family for a friends wedding on St. Thomas. I hardly ever saw any of them except for the wedding day that's why it really doesn't worry me to much about sailing solo there is always someone to at least talk to. I was also a little curious about the safety factor but if anything I'm overly cautious and sometimes look a little too confident. I also signed on for a M&M but so far there are only 8 people on it and as of lately there isn't too much activity on the roll call thread for it either. There are still few months to go till Sept so time will tell. Thanks for tips and I'm sure I'll learn alot more before I leave (L J)

Lois R, I know I have plenty of time especially to make sure that the clothes I bought for last years trip still fit for this one. I tend to get a little over excited when I have a vacation planned. They (friends & family) all laugh at me (in a good way) so I'm trying to play it cool. I'm sure there will be more people to sign on to the roll call I'm not worried. But for now this is great just to talk and get great tips and info from people in the same type of situation.

• 2 weeks later...

NH girl, I am obviously not a single female, but from just looking at it from a security veiwpoint...these cruise things are about as safe as you can get. they have ship security, and usually people who go on cruises are not exactly "needing money to get to a bus station" Usually the cruise line excursions feel very safe, and they are with other cruisers and guides and their auxilaries who chase off "ne'er do wells" at the ports..........so its one of the safest ways of travel ive experieced.

I am new to this message board........so havent really "scoped out" the dynamics of it. The caveat ive seen is that really extroverted people tell other people that "its no problem" traveling solo". "I make freinds with everybody" etc. Without being in a singles group as booked is, you can end up in some pretty lonely situations. On many cruises without a significant number of singles its is mostly families and honeymooners, and "revive the marraige" types with the spouses. So you can end up being seated at dinner with a really fun bunch of singles (the concierge does that) or one time I ended up with a table full of nurse assistants on R and R from their husbands and jobs and never wanted to see an opposite sex person again, and the one guy besides me at the table sent his gazpacho back to be heated in a microwave. I think it is safer for interraction purposes to book with a singles group...You can do whatever you want, and then also be part of an organized group if you want. John from NM usa

I am leaving pretty soon on my trip - everyone is telling : Oh My god ...By yourself ?......Blah Blah Blah, Right now I am feeling Great about it .But I will Keep you posted.

It will Be a "Newbie " for me. I need to do 1 different thing a Year for a good Chakra.:o

I leave on 4/9 on the Grandeur by myself. Wasn't planned that way but roomie had to back out at the last minute. Not a first timer but was a little concerned until I read some of these posts. I am a woman, 34-44, and while I'm not an extrovert, I get along with everyone once I've met them.

I expressed my concerns about going alone on the main board and someone suggested I check this board out. I'm so glad she did.

Thanks guys!

I leave on 4/9 on the Grandeur by myself. Wasn't planned that way but roomie had to back out at the last minute. Not a first timer but was a little concerned until I read some of these posts. I am a woman, 34-44, and while I'm not an extrovert, I get along with everyone once I've met them.

I expressed my concerns about going alone on the main board and someone suggested I check this board out. I'm so glad she did.

Thanks guys!

Please tell me how it goes!! you can email me if you like. I am booked on the Grandeur for April 30, the repositioning. I am so glad I found cruise crititc and the meet and greet. Its my 3rd or 4th cruise with RCCL and my 2nd as a single. I am so pumped for this ship. And I had fun on the last one as well.!!! does anyone know where trip reports are posted?

Hi:) I just returned from my 7th solo cruise in a row. It was fantastic as usual:D

I want to be back on the ship! If you want, check out my pictures below. New ones are posted from Century 3-12-05. There are smiles all around:)

I cruised alone for the first time last month on the Imagination and had a blast. I was alone when I wanted to be, but made lots of friends and as the week goes on, the ship got smaller and smaller because you meet more and more people.

Planning on doing it again on the Miracle 8/7/05!!!!!

Archived