scooter owners i need help

evgal/nj

my dh has ms, can walk a bit. we're going to venice 2010, planned to rent a scooter for on board independance, since we'll be on board 21 days, but the vender used by ncl doesn't supply scooters in venice! reading these wonderful boards made me aware that i could purchase one for what we would have paid for the 3 week rental! yeah!! problem solved, just pick one thats light & easy enough to transport & not break the bank lol,

deliemna.................a friend works @ a private school & recieved a RASCAL 240 MODEL, as a donation to the school & they didn't want it, wanted it off their back pourch. so now its in my garage, lol the scooter looks in good shape, has no batteries, manual, or baskets, i emailed the company,[ this model has been discontinued],but i assume they still have parts ect. we don't know the age of the scooter, but" it was working when last used". lol since we're scooter nubies i guess i'd like to ask anyone with with experience: am i getting in over my head? it seems like the batteries alone will be approx $150-200, not sure how it breaks down or if in fact it does break apart for transport, how much the pieces will weigh, do scooters need a lot of matinance? is it expensive to get them fixed? should i just forget about it & buy a new $500-700 scooter?

karen

my dh has ms, can walk a bit. we're going to venice 2010, planned to rent a scooter for on board independance, since we'll be on board 21 days, but the vender used by ncl doesn't supply scooters in venice! reading these wonderful boards made me aware that i could purchase one for what we would have paid for the 3 week rental! yeah!! problem solved, just pick one thats light & easy enough to transport & not break the bank lol,

deliemna.................a friend works @ a private school & recieved a RASCAL 240 MODEL, as a donation to the school & they didn't want it, wanted it off their back pourch. so now its in my garage, lol the scooter looks in good shape, has no batteries, manual, or baskets, i emailed the company,[ this model has been discontinued],but i assume they still have parts ect. we don't know the age of the scooter, but" it was working when last used". lol since we're scooter nubies i guess i'd like to ask anyone with with experience: am i getting in over my head? it seems like the batteries alone will be approx $150-200, not sure how it breaks down or if in fact it does break apart for transport, how much the pieces will weigh, do scooters need a lot of matinance? is it expensive to get them fixed? should i just forget about it & buy a new $500-700 scooter?

karen

Even though it's discontinued Rascal should have a owners manual in their archives that could either be copied and mailed to you. Or even emailed to you.

You can always take the Rascal to a service supplier to have checked out and they would also be able to show you how it works . However there are other things that should be taken into consideration

1. Do you have a HC cabin or a standard cabin ?

2. If you have only booked a standard cabin, any scooter wider than 19" is not going to fit through the door. Cruise ships require that the scooter has to be stored in your cabin.

3. If the scooter is not one that can be broken down for transport in a standard car trunk., than the question must be asked if there are wheelchair/scooter taxi transports available in your area to get to/from the airport with the scooter?

4. Also if this scooter is not able to broken down for tranport in a car and you do not have a van with a lift, than how useful is this scooter going to be after the cruise. Will it just sit in your garage until the next cruise ?

Free mobility equipment sounds nice but isn't alway the right choice. My sister's mother-in-law had a brand new electric wheelchair when she passed away. Everyone was pressuring me to accept it. As I told my sister, once it got to my home it would only sit in my garage. That I live in an area that's nothing is convenient . I couldn't just go for a ride down to the nearest 7/11 for a loaf of bread as it's 7 miles away and I live on a frontage road with no side walkwalks. That I was't going to spend $60K on a van with an hydraulic lift . When I could spend$800 - $1000 for a good transportable scooter that could be broken down and placed in my SUV. Do the math. Free in this case was certainly not the better option.

thanks for the reply, i guess i'll have to wait to hear from rascal as to weither the scooter 'breaks down', how do you find a scooter repair person? i looked on line didn't find anything, i asked in my email to rascal if they knew of a service person in my area, we do have a hc cabin ,balcony on the gem, we usually stay mini or above but non avaiable only 2 mini's on the gem both aft & i'm sure booked as soon as they were available, hope the balcony is big enough, cruiseclues says its 400 sq ft, the rascal is 23' wide, not sure the door size, last cruise we were on zuiderdam in hc veranda, wc 'just fit through the door, have you had to do much maintancence on your scooter? how old is it? are some batteries better than others? are they universal?

karen

First, having been to Venice I don't think a scooter will be of much use there. You will find many bridges over the various canals that have no ramps. That said, it would be great on the ship. To find a place to check out your scooter, find a Rascal dealer in your local area. They will provide service for the scooters they sell and I have found such suppliers to be helpful to me even when I have not purchased from them. I think they hope for a future sale and I try to be very nice to them as well. They do sell batteries. Good luck.

karen

This page http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm?pageid=113582&orgid=109275&discontinuetoggle=1

might be useful for you. While indeed the Rascal 240 is discontinued, it looks like there is a lot of information here that you could use to get it serviced.

I did a Google search for Rascal dealers + repair and came up with lots of sites, so you might want to try that again.

Where can you buy a new scooter for $500 -$700?

Batteries for scooters and power wheelchairs do cost a lot of $$. I haven't researched recently for the Rascal, but the $150 price seems like what I found some time ago when I was looking at one.

karen

You might try this page

http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm?pageid=113582&orgid=109275&discontinuetoggle=1

It seems like there is a lot of information here about the scooter that might be helpful as you search for a repair place. Look for a current Rascal dealer - -they would be able to help you find servicing for your older one.

how do you find a scooter repair person?

Go to Rascal's website . Here's the link

http://www.rascalscooters.com/index.cfm/mobility/service.centers

have you had to do much maintancence on your scooter?

Question not revelant to me as I have Pride Go Go Elite Traveller not a Rascal.

are some batteries better than others? are they universal?

Always best to follow the manufacturers recommendation specific to your model scooter. Also note that if you plan to bring the scooter on the airplane or cruise ship the requirements are that it has to be a sealed gel battery. Therefore you really need to find a local Rascal dealer to make certain that what type of batteries are required. You don't always have to buy it through the dealer , you can always shop around but you need to know the battery sepcifications before comparison shopping.

A scooter in Venice and in many other European cities won't be of much help. Venice is a series of bridges that don't have ramps. Unless you take a vaporetto, many of which are accessible via a ramp, to the Piazza San Marco, you'll be pretty much stuck in that immediate area as to get just about anyplace else will require going over bridges.

As for other places in Europe, it's difficult for the disabled in many cities. Rough sidewalks, high curbs and not all that many cut outs.

Now, as for your scooter, when you're buying something used, you could be buying someone else's problems. Before you leave on your cruise, I would have the scooter completely checked out. Make sure everything is in perfect running order. You don't want to get on the ship and have the thing conked out on you after the first couple of days. In our area there are a number of places that provide services for persons who use equipment. Just look under "Mobility" in your yellow pages---that's how I found the store near me when I needed to purchase my GoGo when I fractured my knee.

Our experience with batteries - sealed gel type - for our GoGo is that, with reasonable care and regular recharging, the batteries last 12 to 15 months with daily use. Replacement batteries cost close to $200. If the scooter is not in regular use, it is very important to charge the batteries periodically.:)

thanks for all the info, http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm?pageid=113582&orgid=109275&discontinuetoggle=1gives alot of static's on the scooter, i'm glad to see it does break down 29 lbs sounds like a managable weight. 23.5" wide, will that fit a hc cabin door? http://www.rascalscooters.com/index.cfm/mobility/service.centers that page didn't come up on my search, thanks for the link, maybe they can evaluate the scooter & let me know how much it will cost to get it in tip-top shape.

as owners & users of scooters, would you put $200 +++ for batteries & mechanical eval i'm estimating $400-500, or would you just buy a less expensive new scooter approx $700. am i comparing a new chevy & to a used cadillac? or a just a new chevy to used ford? lol :confused:

thanks again for taking all the time & effort to reply.i'll keep you posted when i contact the rascal service dept, i already emailed the link to the company.

karen

thanks for all the info, http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm?pageid=113582&orgid=109275&discontinuetoggle=1gives alot of static's on the scooter, i'm glad to see it does break down 29 lbs sounds like a managable weight. 23.5" wide, will that fit a hc cabin door? http://www.rascalscooters.com/index.cfm/mobility/service.centers that page didn't come up on my search, thanks for the link, maybe they can evaluate the scooter & let me know how much it will cost to get it in tip-top shape.

as owners & users of scooters, would you put $200 +++ for batteries & mechanical eval i'm estimating $400-500, or would you just buy a less expensive new scooter approx $700. am i comparing a new chevy & to a used cadillac? or a just a new chevy to used ford? lol :confused:

thanks again for taking all the time & effort to reply.i'll keep you posted when i contact the rascal service dept, i already emailed the link to the company.

karen[/quote

I also have MS. Knowing that MS can often progress, I'd be buying a new scooter that properly fits me, will last me for a long time, and that I know from the start was new, I would know it's service history, and I'd be establishing a "relationship" with the dealer/service department, much like buying a new car.

For me, a wheelchair or scooter isn't a "convenience", but something I depend on for mobility.

http://www.rascalscooters.com/index.cfm/mobility/service.centers that page didn't come up on my search, thanks for the link,

SInce you're having trouble pulling up the page than call Rascal Customer Service at 1-800-662-4548

as owners & users of scooters, would you put $200 +++ for batteries & mechanical eval i'm estimating $400-500, or would you just buy a less expensive new scooter approx $700.

1. You have to remember that whether it's new or used , batteries will always have to be replaced at some time. That's an expense that will never go away owning a scooter.

2. You need to evaluate the cost of labor and other parts. Only you can make the final determination as to whta is most cost effective for your circumstances.

For me, a wheelchair or scooter isn't a "convenience", but something I depend on for mobility.

The above statement implies that you might already have a scooter. If this is a correct assumption than why wouldn't you take that one with you provided it would fit through the cabin door.

The above statement implies that you might already have a scooter. If this is a correct assumption than why wouldn't you take that one with you provided it would fit through the cabin door.

I'm not the original poster. I was answering her question about whether I would buy a NEW scooter or try to fix an old one. I don't have a scooter. I use a manual wheelchair. When I cruise, I rent a scooter to use on the ship.

If I were to BUY a scooter I would have to also consider buying a large enough vehicle to house it (I can't stand to lift it, neither can my husband), so a vehicle with a ramp or lift -- which costs way more than I'm willing to spend right now. For the numbers of times I cruise -- averaging once every 2 years -- it works out to be cheaper and more convenient for me to book far enough ahead that I have a handicap-accessible cabin, and then rent a scooter from whatever company(s) the cruise line prefers.

Since you asked...

I'm not the original poster. I was answering her question about whether I would buy a NEW scooter or try to fix an old one. I don't have a scooter. I use a manual wheelchair. When I cruise, I rent a scooter to use on the ship.

If I were to BUY a scooter I would have to also consider buying a large enough vehicle to house it (I can't stand to lift it, neither can my husband), so a vehicle with a ramp or lift -- which costs way more than I'm willing to spend right now. For the numbers of times I cruise -- averaging once every 2 years -- it works out to be cheaper and more convenient for me to book far enough ahead that I have a handicap-accessible cabin, and then rent a scooter from whatever company(s) the cruise line prefers.

Since you asked...

Uppitycats

Sorry, I misunderstood. Forget that you were not the original poster. Maybe I had an MS moment ..... I too have MS.

Agree with you about renting versus the cost of a scooter, van, & lift. That's why I rent as well. Though I recently purchased a pride Go Go Elite traveler. I prefer to still rent for cruises to avoid my scooter from being damaged on the airlines and than being left with nothing for the cruise. Hope you're having a good day. :)

thanks again everyone, i'm able bodied & dh has just been diagnoised last yr, we thought he had arthritis, turns out he has arthritis & progressive ms, he kept saying it can't be ms i'm 66 , 30yr olds get ms......,forgive me if my questions seem silly, we've never used a scooter, except @ a store & dh has just started using them.

we've been to venice before & realize that the scooter will stay in the hotel till we get on ship lol, we're planning to take the wheelchair for touring.

"I also have MS. Knowing that MS can often progress, I'd be buying a new scooter that properly fits me, will last me for a long time, and that I know from the start was new, I would know it's service history, and I'd be establishing a "relationship" with the dealer/service department, much like buying a new car.

For me, a wheelchair or scooter isn't a "convenience", but something I depend on for mobility."

reading your answers made me realize the scooter will adventually be used for more than just this cruise. its a good point to have one thats right for him & we'll know how to use, we have a truck & ramps for our atv, so a vehicle @ this point is not an issue. am i understanding correctly,that if/when the day comes when dh may not be able to walk a light weight scooter will not be good for everyday? i'd like one that folds & can go in the trunk of my car b/c my mother lives with us & she'd love to use one in atlantic city instead of her walker :)

thanks again,

karen

thanks again everyone, i'm able bodied & dh has just been diagnoised last yr, we thought he had arthritis, turns out he has arthritis & progressive ms, he kept saying it can't be ms i'm 66 , 30yr olds get ms......,forgive me if my questions seem silly, we've never used a scooter, except @ a store & dh has just started using them.

we've been to venice before & realize that the scooter will stay in the hotel till we get on ship lol, we're planning to take the wheelchair for touring.

"I also have MS. Knowing that MS can often progress, I'd be buying a new scooter that properly fits me, will last me for a long time, and that I know from the start was new, I would know it's service history, and I'd be establishing a "relationship" with the dealer/service department, much like buying a new car.

For me, a wheelchair or scooter isn't a "convenience", but something I depend on for mobility."

reading your answers made me realize the scooter will adventually be used for more than just this cruise. its a good point to have one thats right for him & we'll know how to use, we have a truck & ramps for our atv, so a vehicle @ this point is not an issue. am i understanding correctly,that if/when the day comes when dh may not be able to walk a light weight scooter will not be good for everyday? i'd like one that folds & can go in the trunk of my car b/c my mother lives with us & she'd love to use one in atlantic city instead of her walker :)

thanks again,

karen

Sounds like maybe you're in the market for two different pieces of mobility equipment: one for your husband, and one for your mother (which he could use for excursions, too, or for the cruise ship.)

Unfortunately "progressive MS" means just that. It progresses. It might be that instead of a scooter, he'll eventually need a power chair for everyday use. I've had MS for 25 years now, and at age 63, am ready for a power chair (as soon as I can work out all those other logistics! :p)

For now, you might want to start with the lighter-weight scooter. Get one large enough for your husband (I'm assuming he weighs more than your mother...but whichever one weighs more, get the scooter to "fit" that person) and your mother could use it when he isn't using it. Then if your husband MS progresses to the point that walking becomes increasingly difficult for him, he'd best go to a physical therapist who can help him (and you) figure out what mobility devices would be best for his situation at that time. Maybe the scooter will suffice, maybe they'll suggest a larger "fitted" scooter, maybe they'll suggest a power chair. You'd still have the lightweight scooter for short excursions, or easier travel.

None of your questions are silly, by the way. We've all had to travel down this path, and it can get quite complicated...not to mention costly!

thanks again,

karen

Karen

No questions are ever silly. It's a new journey for you and you're finding that things just take a little more planning. There are many wonderfull people on this forum that have a wealth of expereince traveling with a disability . So you're in the right spot for assistance.

By the way the rule of MS being only a young person's disease no longer applies in today's world. With the advancement of MRI's,other diagnotic protocals and on going research, individuals as young as 6 months ( yes 6 months )and as old as 85 up are being diagnosed today. I know this because I have MS and regularly attend MS seminars to keep abreast of whats's going on in the field.

I will jump in to add that being evaluated by a physical therapist was most beneficial to me. I had polio as a child and had over 40 years of no problems. When I started having problems with walking and balance I was evaluated and first given a rolling walker. About 6 years later I was given a scooter that was fitted for me. I go to the VA. I thought I needed a motorized wheelchair but given my height, balance issues and needing to be very close to the seat before I tried to sit down it was better for me to have a scooter with an adjustable seat. I use the rollator at home, the scooter around my neighborhood and a travelscoot (which is very lightweight) for travel. I've found the physical therapist's advice to be outstanding.

Having owned that exact model in the past I would advice you to get something new. you can in fact find several good travel scooters that are in the 700 to 900 range at various online sites. but if you plan everyday use get a medium scooter or a power chair you can get a decent power chair for $1000. I have one I bought but don't use, I prefer a scooter. you might get the travel scooter into your cabin but not a regular one you need an accessible cabin.

don't plan to break it down each time you want to go into or out of your cabin. NOT a good plan at all.

again thanks everyone, i just spoke rascal rep, it seems that this scooter was purchased in 1998 [ they can tell by the serial #], the cost to put batteries & case into it will be $450, they will evaluate/repair it for approx.$50/hr + parts of course, unfortunately since the scooter is so old they no longer have some of the parts ie battery cases in black, we'd have to get another color.

i already had decided to buy a new one, thanks to everyone :) . i really appreciate everyones comments & suggestions, dh refused to discuss wheelchair selection we purchased for last yrs cruise, said he really didn't need it. i'm sure you have all been there @ one time. finally he said it wasn't fair to have me push him, i assured him i would benifit by working off the extra desserts lol,

i've been reading him everyones comments/suggestions, they most marvelous thing happened last nite , smiling,he said well if i'm going to use it i guess i should pick it out !!!!!! he started a search for scooters!

thankyou,thankyou, thankyou.

karen & ed

again thanks everyone, i just spoke rascal rep, it seems that this scooter was purchased in 1998 [ they can tell by the serial #], the cost to put batteries & case into it will be $450, they will evaluate/repair it for approx.$50/hr + parts of course, unfortunately since the scooter is so old they no longer have some of the parts ie battery cases in black, we'd have to get another color.

i already had decided to buy a new one, thanks to everyone :) . i really appreciate everyones comments & suggestions, dh refused to discuss wheelchair selection we purchased for last yrs cruise, said he really didn't need it. i'm sure you have all been there @ one time. finally he said it wasn't fair to have me push him, i assured him i would benifit by working off the extra desserts lol,

i've been reading him everyones comments/suggestions, they most marvelous thing happened last nite , smiling,he said well if i'm going to use it i guess i should pick it out !!!!!! he started a search for scooters!

thankyou,thankyou, thankyou.

karen & ed

I'm so glad that is working out. Yes, it takes awhile for some of us to come to grips with decreasing mobility. Let us know what scooter he chooses! We all like to "shop", if only virtually.. :p

I will jump in to add that being evaluated by a physical therapist was most beneficial to me. I had polio as a child and had over 40 years of no problems. When I started having problems with walking and balance I was evaluated and first given a rolling walker. About 6 years later I was given a scooter that was fitted for me. I go to the VA. I thought I needed a motorized wheelchair but given my height, balance issues and needing to be very close to the seat before I tried to sit down it was better for me to have a scooter with an adjustable seat. I use the rollator at home, the scooter around my neighborhood and a travelscoot (which is very lightweight) for travel. I've found the physical therapist's advice to be outstanding.

Well, fellow post-polio person here. Not something that's fun seeing how we deteriorate. I'm starting physical therapy today for my fractured knee and I was told that the recovery will be longer due to post polio syndrome. I have a feeling that I'll be using a rollator for a long time, after only needing a cane before.

BTW, what's the weight limit for the travel scoot? That might be an option for my dad who has mobility problems, but while he's not fat, he's a big guy.

I think the weight limit on the travelscoot is 315 or 325. It doesn't look that heavy duty/sturdy but I have been quite pleased. Looks can be deceiving.

I hope you do well with your therapy. I'm doing water aerobics now in an attempt to keep my stamina and movement stable. I've had three knee replacements (one got infected) and found the therapy from those quite beneficial.

Well, fellow post-polio person here. Not something that's fun seeing how we deteriorate. I'm starting physical therapy today for my fractured knee and I was told that the recovery will be longer due to post polio syndrome. I have a feeling that I'll be using a rollator for a long time, after only needing a cane before.

BTW, what's the weight limit for the travel scoot? That might be an option for my dad who has mobility problems, but while he's not fat, he's a big guy.

Golden Companion II has a weight limit of 350 lbs. and is quite substantial. Comes apart and fits in the back trunk of a Nissan Maxima (small trunk). Has one of the longest feet areas I've seen and no raise on the foot part (height) - uncomfortable if you have a knee problem if raised. Also has foam tires -- do not ever purchase one with air tires. Although you think you'll be careful with it -- there are times that conditions are not so perfect and you're there. Purchased mine over the internet -- 3 years -- no problems. Asked lots of questions which were answered. Rich@goodlifemedical.com Vicki:)

Golden Companion II has a weight limit of 350 lbs. and is quite substantial. Comes apart and fits in the back trunk of a Nissan Maxima (small trunk). Has one of the longest feet areas I've seen and no raise on the foot part (height) - uncomfortable if you have a knee problem if raised. Also has foam tires -- do not ever purchase one with air tires. Although you think you'll be careful with it -- there are times that conditions are not so perfect and you're there. Purchased mine over the internet -- 3 years -- no problems. Asked lots of questions which were answered. Rich@goodlifemedical.com Vicki:)

Can you tell me who makes the Golden Companion II? It sounds like it might be a model that DH could use, especially since it breaks apart. We don't own one now, but we should. So far we've just rented for cruises.

Archived