Air travel with Travelscoot

EileenN

Need some help here please. I would appreciate tips for easy travel on airlines with the travelscoot. What is the safest way to pack one? If you suggest a hard cover golf club carrier, what brands? Have you padded the seat and back rest and does it still fit in the carry case? I have read most available notes but need some help.

My DH and I took my travelscoot to "Dick's Sporting Goods". I think but am not sure that is a nationwide store. Once there we went to the golf area and tried the scooter in three hard sided golf bags. We asked for assistance from a salesman. We bought the one that it fit the best. I cannot remember the name. I have added padding in the seat and it fits fine but I bought one I knew fit. I think it is safer in the hard sided carrier than in the canvas bag it came in. I have carried it in both and checked it through without damage to the scooter. The batteries (mine are lithium) go in the included battery bag and on to the cabin with me. I have found it easy to travel with the travelscoot. One caution from our last plane trip, my husband put the tool kit (included with purchase) in the battery bag with the batteries and this caused a bit of concern to the TSA. In the future we will put the tools anywhere other than with the batteries.

I look like a bag lady when I board. Nobody stops me to tell me I have too much, either.

In addition to my purse, my carry-on, my battery bag (for the lithium-ion scoot battery), and my POC, I carry a tote bag with my ipad, kindle, and all my transformers/chargers, cords, etc. There are cords and chargers for the Travelscoot, my POC, my IPad, Kindle, cell phone, etc. This is the bag that I also put the tools into.

I figure that I may as well put all this stuff together in case TSA wants to look at any of it, but they never have. On the last trip I got a TSA Rookie, who thought I should take my POC apart, remove the batteries, etc. Luckily another official came by and told him no.

Did you guys know that if you are diabetic, you may bring a factory sealed bottle of water through security? Its true.

M.

Katisdale, Since they are charging so much for checked bags now on most airlines I am concerned about checking a hard sided golf bag with my travelscoot. Do you label yours in some way that it is a medical device and they have to let it go free? I have been thinking I only wanted to take it to the cabin door and have them store it on the plane so I wouldn't have to pay. I look forward to all your posts since you are a seasoned travelscoot owner. Marla

But once you search the city some more, it begins to dazzles you. Shopping centers to street-side stalls, and world-class hotels to exotic massage centers, the city is entirely delightful. Don’t miss to visit the Grand Palace and the Wat Aron when you’re here.

Katisdale, Since they are charging so much for checked bags now on most airlines I am concerned about checking a hard sided golf bag with my travelscoot. Do you label yours in some way that it is a medical device and they have to let it go free? I have been thinking I only wanted to take it to the cabin door and have them store it on the plane so I wouldn't have to pay. I look forward to all your posts since you are a seasoned travelscoot owner. Marla

They're not supposed to charge for things like wheelchairs and scooters.

http://blog.good-life-medical-equipment.com/2010/10/22/do-airlines-charge-for-electric-power-wheelchairs-and-scooters.aspx

If that link didn't post, try googling as much of it as did post.

They're not supposed to charge for things like wheelchairs and scooters.

http://blog.good-life-medical-equipment.com/2010/10/22/do-airlines-charge-for-electric-power-wheelchairs-and-scooters.aspx

If that link didn't post, try googling as much of it as did post.

Great article and thanks it was very informative. I am aware of traveling with wheelchairs, walkers etc but my concern is if it looks like a golf bag, it looks like a golf bag! So with the travelscoot inside does the owner put something on the outside or do they have to open it at the ticket counter or have a paper that proves what is inside. Is just attaching the blue and white handicap tag provided by travelscoot enough. I am concerned that the one I have could get lost with checked luggage. Since some are using the golf bag for the travelscoot I am anxious to hear how they are doing it.

I do have the blue handicapped placard attached and when I choose to check it through when checking in I tell the agent what is inside. I have never been charged domestically nor on international flights. The US TSA agents have left cards inside twice out of probably 8 or so flights so it has been checked. Sometimes I think it would be easier to get in a carton and ship myself rather than go through security at the airport. My daughter teases me about my thorough checks.

If you don't mind, what is the approximate cost of the golf bag. We do have a Dick sporting goods near by. Has anyone ever put the scooter in the bag in the overhead compartment? Is it safe (realistic) to have one lithium battery with you on a 15 day trip? We will have plenty of time to recharge.

I appreciate all the help.

I am trying to convince my husband of the practicality of it.

I think the golf bag was about $100.00. I (or really husband) have never tried to put it in the overhead. I have 2 lithium batteries. The longest I have ever been away from home is a little over three weeks. I have had no problem with the battery running low. However I do have a second one if run into a low power situation. I have found that I can go almost 8 miles on level ground but if it is hilly not nearly that far. I keep the two batteries velcroed together so it would just be disconnecting one and connecting the other to continue on. I use the batteries on opposite days because my husband thinks that is a good idea. He even marked them "A" and "B" so he can keep them straight. I think that is a bit overboard but it makes him happy. I think you will be fine with one battery especially if you will be able to recharge each day.

Hi Eileen,

I too have a Travelscoot and have flown/cruised with it 3 or 4 times a year since 2009. Only in the US however.

I only ride the scoot to the door of the plane, collapse the steering column to its lowest setting, remove the battery, put it in the Travelscoot battery bag and carry it on the plane. The scooter is carried down to be put with the strollers. The battery bag is put under the seat in front of me. When the plane lands, they bring it to the door of the plane, you reverse the process and ride up the jetway. Easy peasy!

It does not at all seem safe to put the scoot in its bag in the overhead compartment. People are astoundingly rough with pushing their outsized bags up there. I asked the same question on this board when I first got mine too.

Another benefit to riding to the door of the plane is you are not dependent on airport wheelchairs being available. A huge plus in my world (I have MS).

I have only ever travelled with one lithium battery, and I believe we have been gone as long as 18 days at a time. I charge it every night and have had no problems at all.

Keep the questions coming...we've all been there.

Marlee

I travel with my Travelscoot just like Marlee since 2009 also....in fact Marleee and I ended up on a cruise together one time. I have been to Europe with mine. I have a piece of bubble wrap that I put over the throttle and power guage before I slip on the little protective cover for added protection. Many times I've traveled with only my one lithium battery with no issues. Though now that the battery is older I also take as a back-up my SLA battery that I purchased that I can keep in my car in summer as it doesn't have the heat restrictions. I've had no problems, just do this for "insurance".

I have carried the scoot on board and put it in an overhad bin once, after collapsing it and detaching the seat. I brought a letter from the arline assuring me athat it could be carried in the cabin.

Othe other half of that trip, the flight attendant put it (collapsed) in the wheelchair closet. I put the seat in the overhead. Each time, after the flight, I reassembled the scoot on the jetway.

As the Travelscoot has no "key" start and is so lightweight and portable --- I am concerned about theft when leaving it outside the dining room (DH can walk to the table and I doubt he would want to ride it to the table and sit for a long meal.) It also has no arm rests and he does have a torn router cuff of his right shoulder. Any suggestions ??

I also would be interested in where everyone has purchased your Travelscoot --- please contact me at: sherrie6269@msn.com if you don't want to post that info here. We are trying to find a reasonable price. Thanks.

As the Travelscoot has no "key" start and is so lightweight and portable --- I am concerned about theft when leaving it outside the dining room

I've taken my Travelscoot on 9 cruises and have never had an issue with parking my TS right outside the dining room doors and having someone run off with it...where the heck are they going to go with it as you are kind of a captive audience on a ship. One time during a tender port (Belize) I drove it to the tender boarding area and left it on the ship out of the way where you go through the scanners when you reboard. We were doing a ship's snorkel tour where the excursion boat picked us up right from the ship.

If it would make you feel more comfortable, you could get a retractable bike lock and lock it to something. I have one for when we are off ship and I have to leave it.

http://www.amazon.com/Trimax-T33RC-Retractable-Cable-3-Digit/dp/B000W0RQ6E

I purchased mine directly from Travelscoot.com

The next thing that I was going to ask was about a lock for use on shore. You guys have everything. Has anyone ever had to have a major repair on it and how was it handled. I am very serious about buying one very soon and want to know how long it will take for delivery.

My scoot is 5 years old. I bought it from the manufacturer. I wouldn't be surprised if you find one on e-bay or craig's list if someone no longer needed it. I have had no problem with the scooter disappearing on a cruise. It has my name on it, is distinctive, and where would it go? When we are on a land trip or a shore excursion we use a bike lock if we are going to leave it. We are on vacation this week in New York City and today I had the first problem (in 5 years). We were in Times Square when the drive belt broke. Just before it broke it made a loud noise. We always travel with the repair kit plus manual and it is now in good working order again thanks to my husband. I have found it very reliable,

We ordered 2 on a Monday and they were delivered on that Friday. We live in California so it was still all on the west coast. We ordered directly from Travelscoot. Haven't had any problems yet since we have only had them less than 2 months. The only thing that I would change would be a better, metal not plastic, connection to the battery. I am finding more and more places I can go with mine and can't wait to take it on an actual trip to see how I do. I think I will be able to do more than I have in 10 years since my fall.

Marla

My scoot is 5 years old. I bought it from the manufacturer. I wouldn't be surprised if you find one on e-bay or craig's list if someone no longer needed it. I have had no problem with the scooter disappearing on a cruise. It has my name on it, is distinctive, and where would it go? When we are on a land trip or a shore excursion we use a bike lock if we are going to leave it. We are on vacation this week in New York City and today I had the first problem (in 5 years). We were in Times Square when the drive belt broke. Just before it broke it made a loud noise. We always travel with the repair kit plus manual and it is now in good working order again thanks to my husband. I have found it very reliable,

Thank you for all your helpful information....This is new for us as DH is now on oxygen 24/7.. We did buy an Invacare Scooter (which will fit thru a cruise ship doorway)....It does come apart in 4 pieces, but weighs 100 lb total. It worked great on our 3-week RV trip to Glacier NP. However, we are thinking we need something lighter and easier to manuver on the ship. Will check out the Travelscoot. What is the maximum weight it can carry? DH weighs 190 lb. Thanks again for the info.

You may want to look at the Tzora scooters at http://www.summiteasy.com. They have an attachment for the oxygen tank --- not quite as light as the Travelscoot but still about 1/2 of the weight compared to the Invacare scooter you have. These fold down very easily and can be ridden right up to the door of the plane. They are also better on grassy surfaces. The Travelscoot is better for paved and level surfaces.

Archived