Excursions with a Scooter

Hi! wavesmile.gif

I think this is the place to come with my questions.:)

My 22 year old daughter and I are going on a Eastern/Western back to back Caribbean cruise in a few weeks on the RC "Oasis of the Seas." She and I have done quite a few roads trips around the US, but this is a major thing for us, especially considering my "condition." I was in a terrible car accident some years back and I cannot walk any long distances. For an example, I can park in the handicapped area and walk to the entrance of Target, but then I HAVE to use the store scooter. I am in too much pain to go any further.imoksmiley.gif

I am having a scooter delivered to the cabin of the ship before our arrival. I would like to know what shore excursions we will be able to participate in.

Of course my daughter would love the beach and water thing. We lived for 8 years in California and she loved the beach, even though the water there is pretty cold and yucky. I have read here about the "beach wheelchairs" but read they are first come basis and you cannot keep them all day. How does one go close to the shoreline in a scooter? Is it even possible? If I had to be delivered out to the sand/water area and left there by the ship help, how do I then get to my scooter to go to possibly shopping for a while or have an afternoon cafe experience?

Is the scooter safe left alone, if I can get down to the waters edge?

We will be flying into Fort Lauderdale at approx. 2:30pm and check-in is between 2:30pm-4:00pm. Are the lines to get on the ship long? How will our luggage get from the airport to the ship? My daughter can't possible shlep all the luggage from an airport shuttle to the ship? I cannot stand in a line, how will I get from an airport shuttle or taxi to my cabin. I cannot walk that far. I am assuming it's further than the Target distance I mentioned earlier.

This trip was planned in celebration of my daughter graduating from college (magna cum laude) and being accepted to medical school Fall 2014. She NEEDS a relaxing break between her pre-med 4 year college and beginning Med school, which will be a long haul.

I am becoming more and more overwhelmed with thoughts that this is all going to be a big mess and will ruin it for her. She is sweet and lovely and worries about me so it will only ruin it for her if I have a difficult time. UGH!!! I am secretly beginning to worry about this and starting to dread it all.

I will appreciate greatly any information you can give me about all of this. I will list the excursions below. Thanks so much!

Labadee, Haiti

Falmouth, Jamaica

Cozumel, Mexico

Nassau, Bahamas

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

Philipsburg, St, Maarten

P.S. I know there is a zip line on one of these excursions and read about the trip up being bumpy. I just wondered if any of you have done this. I think she would love it, but not alone

Edited by Blueeyed Banditti
print looks tiny

Important - You MUST be checked in and on board the ship 90 minutes before the scheduled departure time . Therefore you must be checked in and on-board the ship be 3:30 PM or you will not be permitted to sail Here's the link to RCCL's website that confirms this http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=1166&faqSubjectId=330&faqSubjectName=Before+You+Leave&faqType=faq

Though FFL airport is only 10 minutes from the port you may not have allowed yourself enough time if you flight isn't scheduled to land until 2:30 PM. You need to keep in mind that there can be delays in landing, waiting for wheelchair assistance and than having to wait for your luggage. Really don't mean to stress you any further than need be but you might consider changing your flight so you arrive earlier.

RCCL Excursions - You need to contact RCCL's Excursion Dept. to find out what if any accessible tours are offered for your itineraries. For the most part you're going to find that the excursion's offered by RCCL do NOT have vehicles with accessible lifts so most people attempt to search out private accessible tours on their own. Depending on the type of scooter rented it might be able to be broken down to fit into the trunk of taxi. The most common rented scooter is CareVacations - Midsize scooter or Special Needs at Seas Standard Scooter which are both a Pride Go Go scooter. Here's a video of how the scooter break downs. Fast forward the video to the 0.54 second mark.

Wheelchair assistance on Embarkation and Debarkations days. - RCCL offers complimentary wheelchair assistance on both Embarkation and Debarkation days. Contact RCCL's Special Needs Dept. and have it noted in your booking that wheelchair assistance is required. On embarkation day after getting to the Port let any RCCL representative know that you require wheelchair assistance and they will direct you to the area you need to be . On debarkation day information as to where to go on the ship to get wheelchair assistance will be posted the Daily Cruise Compass delivered to your cabin the night before.

Luggage - once you arrive at the port whether it be by Taxi or RCCL's Shuttle there will be Porters curbside ready to take you luggage. You should check all luggage except for any small carryon containing medications and what you might need for that day until the luggage arrives in your stateroom. The luggage will magically appear at your cabin door sometime after boarding but know that it can arrive at your cabin later that evening. FYI- most people just wear what they boarded the ship wearing so keep that in mind.

Scooter rental - Passengers are not given access to their Cabins until around 1:00Pm - 2:00PM . The wheelchair attendant will take you to the Windjammer for lunch . After you have finished eating have your Daughter go to the room to see if the scoter has been delivered. However per the rental contract the scooter is supposed to be delivered by 2:00PM but there are occasions that the it does not showup in the cabin until later.

Leaving Scooter at water edge - On Labadee which is RCCL's private island it would be OK but do not suggest doing this at any other port.

Did you book and Accessible cabin ? If not than please advise and I can give your further tips on how to manage with a mobility scooter in a non-accessible cabin.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Important - You MUST be checked in and on board the ship 90 minutes before the scheduled departure time . Therefore you must be checked in and on-board the ship be 3:30 PM or you will not be permitted to sail Here's the link to RCCL's website that confirms this http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=1166&faqSubjectId=330&faqSubjectName=Before+You+Leave&faqType=faq

Though FFL airport is only 10 minutes from the port you may not have allowed yourself enough time if you flight isn't scheduled to land until 2:30 PM. You need to keep in mind that there can be delays in landing, waiting for wheelchair assistance and than having to wait for your luggage. Really don't mean to stress you any further than need be but you might consider changing your flight so you arrive earlier.

RCCL Excursions - You need to contact RCCL's Excursion Dept. to find out what if any accessible tours are offered for your itineraries. For the most part you're going to find that the excursion's offered by RCCL do NOT have vehicles with accessible lifts so most people attempt to search out private accessible tours on their own. Depending on the type of scooter rented it might be able to be broken down to fit into the trunk of taxi. The most common rented scooter is CareVacations - Midsize scooter or Special Needs at Seas Standard Scooter which are both a Pride Go Go scooter. Here's a video of how the scooter break downs. Fast forward the video to the 0.54 second mark.

Wheelchair assistance on Embarkation and Debarkations days. - RCCL offers complimentary wheelchair assistance on both Embarkation and Debarkation days. Contact RCCL's Special Needs Dept. and have it noted in your booking that wheelchair assistance is required. On embarkation day after getting to the Port let any RCCL representative know that you require wheelchair assistance and they will direct you to the area you need to be . On debarkation day information as to where to go on the ship to get wheelchair assistance will be posted the Daily Cruise Compass delivered to your cabin the night before.

Luggage - once you arrive at the port whether it be by Taxi or RCCL's Shuttle there will be Porters curbside ready to take you luggage. You should check all luggage except for any small carryon containing medications and what you might need for that day until the luggage arrives in your stateroom. The luggage will magically appear at your cabin door sometime after boarding but know that it can arrive at your cabin later that evening. FYI- most people just wear what they boarded the ship wearing so keep that in mind.

Scooter rental - Passengers are not given access to their Cabins until around 1:00Pm - 2:00PM . The wheelchair attendant will take you to the Windjammer for lunch . After you have finished eating have your Daughter go to the room to see if the scoter has been delivered. However per the rental contract the scooter is supposed to be delivered by 2:00PM but there are occasions that the it does not showup in the cabin until later.

Leaving Scooter at water edge - On Labadee which is RCCL's private island it would be OK but do not suggest doing this at any other port.

Did you book and Accessible cabin ? If not than please advise and I can give your further tips on how to manage with a mobility scooter in a non-accessible cabin.

I just called the airlines after I read your reply and they gave me a flight for the day before so we will just stay in a hotel until check-out and go down to get aboard. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! If you had NOT taken the time to point that out, it could well have been disastrous!! Oh my, I cannot imagine getting to the ship too late.:eek:

I DID indeed book an accessible cabin. I was certain the scooter may take up a bit of room and will appreciate an accessible shower.

Delta tried to charge me $200/each penalty charge to change the tickets and then waved the fee when I had a fit.:( Really don't know what that was all about.

I figured all the stops the ship is making that I listed had a beach nearby, but you're talking to a greenhorn. I know NOTHING, so I guess I need to cruise the forum and find out what will be going on. It's totally new to us, however, I hope this is just one in a million we will be able to do when my daughter has a few free days here and there....I'd hate to travel solo.

Any info you think of that I might be over looking, please advise!!!!

Thanks a million XXOO!!! Lily

BTW, do you ship out of Ft. Lauderdale often? If so, since I had to change our flights we will have to stay in a hotel overnight. Any helpful hints on a good, clean, nice hotel near the port would be helpful. Anyone know any?? I will be Googling, but sometimes experience by word of mouth is better.

adding

I just called the airlines after I read your reply and they gave me a flight for the day before so we will just stay in a hotel until check-out and go down to get aboard. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! If you had NOT taken the time to point that out, it could well have been disastrous!! Oh my, I cannot imagine getting to the ship too late.:eek:

I DID indeed book an accessible cabin. I was certain the scooter may take up a bit of room and will appreciate an accessible shower.

Delta tried to charge me $200/each penalty charge to change the tickets and then waved the fee when I had a fit.:( Really don't know what that was all about.

I figured all the stops the ship is making that I listed had a beach nearby, but you're talking to a greenhorn. I know NOTHING, so I guess I need to cruise the forum and find out what will be going on. It's totally new to us, however, I hope this is just one in a million we will be able to do when my daughter has a few free days here and there....I'd hate to travel solo.

Any info you think of that I might be over looking, please advise!!!!

Thanks a million XXOO!!! Lily

BTW, do you ship out of Ft. Lauderdale often? If so, since I had to change our flights we will have to stay in a hotel overnight. Any helpful hints on a good, clean, nice hotel near the port would be helpful. Anyone know any?? I will be Googling, but sometimes experience by word of mouth is better.

Glad that you found the boarding info to helpful. I always plan on arriving a day or two in advance. You'll find that changing your flight to day before will actually work in your favor. You will be more relaxed boarding the ship rather than being exhausted from all the same day travel.

Boarding usually begins around 11:00 AM - 12:00 AM. You'll have to wait in queue for wheelchair assistance ( there will be plenty of chairs to be seated while waiting ). Despite what it states in your cruise documents people begin arriving around 10:00 AM. Reason being embarkation day is actually day one of the cruise and most people want to start enjoying it ASAP. So if you're just planning to sit at the hotel why not just get checked in and sit at the port to get on the ship earlier ?

Re: Beaches - Other than Labadee you'll have to take a taxi to most beaches. Also other than Labadee you can't be certain if the beaches have beach wheelchairs and if so there will be a rental charge.

Traveling solo ( even using a rollator and a mobility scooter) is my preferred way of cruising. I have it down to science and use only an 18" carryon that sits on the seat of my rollator. When I have the scooter delivered to the hotel I'm quite a spectacle operating the scooter pushing the rollator while driving up the gangway to board the ship. Where there's a will there's a way!

You're going to love the Oasis ! Have you made your reservations for the shows? If not there's always a standby line . Regardless you really shouldn't have any problem particularly since you're doing a B2B.

RE: Zip line - your daughter should definitely try. I cruise with a group of us who all have MS and varying degrees of disabilities. One gentleman is confined to a wheelchair and uses a service dog. After a lot of coordination to ensure safety RCCL even assisted this man in doing the Zip line. His wife was thrilled that he had accomplished something that was thought to be an unrealistic buck list wish.

Hotel - There's many options all varying in price and amenities. Some offer shuttle service to the cruise port. Personally I prefer the Hyatt Park Place Convention Center- North on 17th street. It's tends to be reasonably priced, free breakfast and an inexpensive cab ride to the cruise port. I preferred not to use the shuttle as don't like the steps. A taxi is more comfortable for me.

You can ask on the Florida Port of Call Forum for suggestions as well. Here's the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Please don't hesitate to post any other questions/concerns you may have.

Congratulations to your Daughter on her wonderful accomplishments !

Pat

Glad that you found the boarding info to helpful. I always plan on arriving a day or two in advance. You'll find that changing your flight to day before will actually work in your favor. You will be more relaxed boarding the ship rather than being exhausted from all the same day travel.

Boarding usually begins around 11:00 AM - 12:00 AM. You'll have to wait in queue for wheelchair assistance ( there will be plenty of chairs to be seated while waiting ). Despite what it states in your cruise documents people begin arriving around 10:00 AM. Reason being embarkation day is actually day one of the cruise and most people want to start enjoying it ASAP. So if you're just planning to sit at the hotel why not just get checked in and sit at the port to get on the ship earlier ?

Re: Beaches - Other than Labadee you'll have to take a taxi to most beaches. Also other than Labadee you can't be certain if the beaches have beach wheelchairs and if so there will be a rental charge.

Traveling solo ( even using a rollator and a mobility scooter) is my preferred way of cruising. I have it down to science and use only an 18" carryon that sits on the seat of my rollator. When I have the scooter delivered to the hotel I'm quite a spectacle operating the scooter pushing the rollator while driving up the gangway to board the ship. Where there's a will there's a way!

You're going to love the Oasis ! Have you made your reservations for the shows? If not there's always a standby line . Regardless you really shouldn't have any problem particularly since you're doing a B2B.

RE: Zip line - your daughter should definitely try. I cruise with a group of us who all have MS and varying degrees of disabilities. One gentleman is confined to a wheelchair and uses a service dog. After a lot of coordination to ensure safety RCCL even assisted this man in doing the Zip line. His wife was thrilled that he had accomplished something that was thought to be an unrealistic buck list wish.

Hotel - There's many options all varying in price and amenities. Some offer shuttle service to the cruise port. Personally I prefer the Hyatt Park Place Convention Center- North on 17th street. It's tends to be reasonably priced, free breakfast and an inexpensive cab ride to the cruise port. I preferred not to use the shuttle as don't like the steps. A taxi is more comfortable for me.

You can ask on the Florida Port of Call Forum for suggestions as well. Here's the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Please don't hesitate to post any other questions/concerns you may have.

Congratulations to your Daughter on her wonderful accomplishments !

Pat

Thanks Pat! How do I find out what each stop (excursion) has to offer?

Where can I find listings of the shows, days, and times aboard ship?

I feel quite unprepared! We have nothing lined up!

Which excursion has the zip line? Do I need a reservation for that?

Is RC supposed to send me a list of all this info and I missed it somehow?

I don't understand how I am supposed to make reservations for shows that I don't know about.

Seems like I have never ending questions. Thanks for being so kind.:)

*sigh* It bites being a greenhorn. ;) Thanks for the congrats! =)

add

I don't understand how I am supposed to make reservations for shows that I don't know about.

Pat - I DID find in my paperwork where RC gives a website to check out and make reservations for "land and shore excursions." I'll check it out :)

If you Booked through a travel agent than he/she should have told you everything. If you booked directly with than all this information should have been included in your final cruise documents. Also RCCL assume most people booking direct are familiar with cruising and all the information contained in it's website.

Don't worry, I've given you direct links to most everything you need to know. If there's something that I missed just let me know .

On-line Check-in Since you are doing B2B Cruises you will have to check-in separately for both cruises. - https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/boardingDocuments.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=4&snav=3

Show reservations, Excursions, Specialty Dining Reservations ( addition cost) and Beverage packages if interested use this link. Re: shows if you can get the times you want don't fret as their is a standby line for each show for people that don't have reservations :

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/cruiseEnhancements.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=4&snav=8

Oasis Show schedule at a glance . Just click on the dates of your 2 cruises. : http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/showtimes/showtimes_OA.pdf

Oasis Dining Guide at a glance : http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/10020614_Allure_Specialty_Restaurant_Flyer.pdf

Zip-line : There's actually a Zip-line on the Oasis of the seas. It's free . No reservations are needed . Time when the Zip-line is available will be listed in the Daily Compass that will be placed in your cabin each night for the next day. The Daily Compass will list all ship activities for each day.

You tube videos of the Oasis Ship Tour :

Part I -

Part II -

All this should help to answer most of your questions .

Pat

Edited by xxoocruiser

Go to the ports of call board and look up your stops. You can then email local tour companies and ask if they can handle a scooter. Some can, and, they have vans and not buses. Much easier. Many hotels will let you pay a fee and use their beaches, beach chairs, etc. Very convenient and some of their vans can handle scooters. Just ask. You will be fine. Have a wonderful time!!!

Go to the ports of call board and look up your stops. You can then email local tour companies and ask if they can handle a scooter. Some can, and, they have vans and not buses. Much easier. Many hotels will let you pay a fee and use their beaches, beach chairs, etc. Very convenient and some of their vans can handle scooters. Just ask. You will be fine. Have a wonderful time!!!

As the other person says you can go to the ports of call in cruise critic and look up info about the ports you will be visiting. You will find it on the main page.

Also, check under Roll calls for your cruise. Go to the cruise line and then to your ship and then look for the date of your cruise. Other passengers on your cruise may have excursions that you can join that cost a lot less than ship excursions and you might find something you like that does not require a scooter. Stop stressing and relax. I'm sure it will all work out just fine. I just did my first cruise with my new Travel Scoot and it made my life so much easier and less pain than trying to walk everywhere. I wish you all the best.

Wendy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I'm sure we'll have a great time, but it may be a bitter sweet memory if mama here doesn't get her act together. I don't know if you can say online here, but do you have any idea which hotels at which islands--stops--do this? And which ports of calls would you suggest trying a hotel beach? I am so unprepared in this area of the trip. I know when my daughter and I looked at MANY youtube videos from Oasis excursions, personal videos of ports of call, etc., several had some crummy looking beaches.

How would we get to a hotel beach? For instance, we saw Best Western Plus Emerald Beach Hotel, Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas, US Virgin Islands that looks like a beautiful beach area but I have no idea how far it is from where we get off the ship or how we'd get there....if we could make it over there, how could we be certain they would even allow us to use their beach? You suggested this, so maybe you know which hotels at which stops allow this. Which islands/stops have great beaches and clear nice water and which are ho-hum. I am just floundering. I have a strong feeling now that I should have used a travel agent. I didn't think about everything over ahead of time and just called RC. Big mistake for a rookie I think.:(

As the other person says you can go to the ports of call in cruise critic and look up info about the ports you will be visiting. You will find it on the main page.

Also, check under Roll calls for your cruise. Go to the cruise line and then to your ship and then look for the date of your cruise. Other passengers on your cruise may have excursions that you can join that cost a lot less than ship excursions and you might find something you like that does not require a scooter. Stop stressing and relax. I'm sure it will all work out just fine. I just did my first cruise with my new Travel Scoot and it made my life so much easier and less pain than trying to walk everywhere. I wish you all the best.

Wendy

Thanks Wendy for the best wishes. I think we might need them LOL. My daughter and I have scoured the restaurants, the entertainment, the stops, etc and so far have not reserved anything. I was under the assumption that all the restaurants were no charge except for the steak house, the name of which now slips my mind. I read on Cruise Critic it was well worth the $35.00/pp charge. I thought all the other places were included on the cost of the cruise. I suppose a good travel agent would have known everything I need or want to know. Do you know, or anyone else out there know how the internet is on board? I planned on coughing up the charge for internet but would like to know if the connection is good. I have paid extra for internet before in some Hilton Hotels and fought for a good connection the entire stay. Just wondered. Also, is there any cell phone service on board or on the islands? Possible dumb questions and I hope I'm not just sounding like a complete idiot! :o Thank you all for any replies. ♥

If you Booked through a travel agent than he/she should have told you everything. If you booked directly with than all this information should have been included in your final cruise documents. Also RCCL assume most people booking direct are familiar with cruising and all the information contained in it's website.

Don't worry, I've given you direct links to most everything you need to know. If there's something that I missed just let me know .

On-line Check-in Since you are doing B2B Cruises you will have to check-in separately for both cruises. - https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/boardingDocuments.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=4&snav=3

Show reservations, Excursions, Specialty Dining Reservations ( addition cost) and Beverage packages if interested use this link. Re: shows if you can get the times you want don't fret as their is a standby line for each show for people that don't have reservations :

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/cruiseEnhancements.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=4&snav=8

Oasis Show schedule at a glance . Just click on the dates of your 2 cruises. : http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/showtimes/showtimes_OA.pdf

Oasis Dining Guide at a glance : http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/10020614_Allure_Specialty_Restaurant_Flyer.pdf

Zip-line : There's actually a Zip-line on the Oasis of the seas. It's free . No reservations are needed . Time when the Zip-line is available will be listed in the Daily Compass that will be placed in your cabin each night for the next day. The Daily Compass will list all ship activities for each day.

You tube videos of the Oasis Ship Tour :

Part I -

Part II -

All this should help to answer most of your questions .

Pat

Pat, Thanks for all the links, etc. We have looked at about everything we could find and are still not reserved for anything. The videos we saw for entertainment just left us unclear on whether they would be something we'd like. We did have some strange idea that there would be a theater showing recently released movies (like in the past 2 years or so.) My daughter searched and found that there is an IMax, but they show children's movies.

We could not find prices for some of the restaurants, some listed are not on the Oasis and there wasn't much info on the free restaurants. We couldn't find a menu for room service. Maybe it changes daily and is in the daily paper.

If you know, how do we get to the top to do the zip lining on the island? Do you have to take the roller coaster? I asked some other questions in the other posting I just did, and you may know all the answers.

We have watched oodles of videos and feel more informed, but still feel quite unprepared. I don't know if we'd like ANY of the entertainment they

show. I have not read any rave reviews on the forum about any of them. :confused:

The hotel you suggested did not have any rooms available so we booked another one and plan on going to the Oasis around 10-10:30am. Lesson learned, use a travel agent next time. :)

Pat, Thanks for all the links, etc. We have looked at about everything we could find and are still not reserved for anything. The videos we saw for entertainment just left us unclear on whether they would be something we'd like. We did have some strange idea that there would be a theater showing recently released movies (like in the past 2 years or so.) My daughter searched and found that there is an IMax, but they show children's movies.

We could not find prices for some of the restaurants, some listed are not on the Oasis and there wasn't much info on the free restaurants. We couldn't find a menu for room service. Maybe it changes daily and is in the daily paper.

If you know, how do we get to the top to do the zip lining on the island? Do you have to take the roller coaster? I asked some other questions in the other posting I just did, and you may know all the answers.

We have watched oodles of videos and feel more informed, but still feel quite unprepared. I don't know if we'd like ANY of the entertainment they

show. I have not read any rave reviews on the forum about any of them. :confused:

The hotel you suggested did not have any rooms available so we booked another one and plan on going to the Oasis around 10-10:30am. Lesson learned, use a travel agent next time. :)

Re: Entertainment /Shows ... Please don't let negative reviews on CC deter you from attending the show. With the exception of the comedy shows ( which I personally don't like) I have found all other entertainment to be quite enjoyable. You have to remember that the Posters on Cruise Critic represent less than the total cruising population. Generally speaking the reviews posted on cruise critic represents even a small percentage.

The outdoor theater does not always show just children's movies. Movies change daily. Just check the Daily Compass that gets delivered to your cabin each night for the next day

RE: Restaurant and Show Reservations. Seeing as though you're doing a B2B cruise there probably is no real reason to pre-book any unless if there's a specific time that you want to be assured of . If you are flexible than just wait till you get on Board. For shows there is always a standby line for people without reservations. Also note reservation can actually be booked on your in-cabin TV.

Personally I rarely go to any Specialty Restaurants as find the food venues included in the cruise price to be perfectly fine. I can always find something that I like. If you're disappointed in anything don't be afraid to request something else. This link has good information regarding dining , posts daily compasses for the Western portion of your cruise and also MDR menus. Note MDR menus will be the same for both portions of your cruise . It's lengthy but worth checking out : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1992376&highlight=oasis+western+menu

Room service menu does not change daily. It will be the same for the entire 2 weeks of your cruise. Here's the link : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36762748&postcount=5

Zip-line on island ... Can't help you with this one as never been to the Zip-line other than the one actually on-board the Oasis.

Pricing for selected food venues:

• Vintages Wine and Taps Bar ..... Ala Carte pricing.... no reservation required
  • Izumi Asian Cuisine ..................Ala Carte pricing.....reservation recommended
  • Seafood Shack..........................Ala Carte pricing.... no reservation required
  • Chops Grille Steak house............$35.00 pp**reservations required
  • Giovannis Italian......................Lunch $15.00 pp**, Dinner $25.00 pp** reservations required but sometimes can just walk in for lunch.
  • 150 Park Central........................$40.00 pp** reservations required
  • Solarium Bistro..........................Dinner $20.00 pp** reservations required, Breakfast and lunch free.
  • Chefs Table ........................................$85.00 pp**
  • Johnny Rockets ..................................$5.95 pp** all you can eat. Drinks and Milk Shakes are extra and not included in the all you can eat fee.
  • Ice Cream Shop.................................. Ala Carte Pricing
  • Vitality Spa .........................................Ala cart pricing on select items. Food items included in cruise cost
  • Starbucks............................................Ala Carte Pricing
  • Cupcake Cupboard ................................Ala Carte Pricing
  • Room service between the hours of Midnight and 5:00 am has a $3.95 **surcharge.
  • ** = gratuities included

Breakfast in the main dining is really relaxing and less congestive than Windjammer. Also on seas day the MDR is open for lunch and is also very nice. The TUTTI salad bar is extremely nice in addition to all the wonderful entrees. I love the shrimp on the salad bar !

Edited by xxoocruiser

Attn: Blueeyed Banditti

You might enjoy checking this link out. It's from a recent Oasis B2B cruise that has all sorts of food photos. Most are items included in the cruise price. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2050818

Oh forgot to state in my previous post that Breakfast at Johnny Rockets is included in the cruise price. Lunch and Dinner are not.

Re: Entertainment /Shows ... Please don't let negative reviews on CC deter you from attending the show. With the exception of the comedy shows ( which I personally don't like) I have found all other entertainment to be quite enjoyable. You have to remember that the Posters on Cruise Critic represent less than the total cruising population. Generally speaking the reviews posted on cruise critic represents even a small percentage.

The outdoor theater does not always show just children's movies. Movies change daily. Just check the Daily Compass that gets delivered to your cabin each night for the next day

RE: Restaurant and Show Reservations. Seeing as though you're doing a B2B cruise there probably is no real reason to pre-book any unless if there's a specific time that you want to be assured of . If you are flexible than just wait till you get on Board. For shows there is always a standby line for people without reservations. Also note reservation can actually be booked on your in-cabin TV.

Personally I rarely go to any Specialty Restaurants as find the food venues included in the cruise price to be perfectly fine. I can always find something that I like. If you're disappointed in anything don't be afraid to request something else. This link has good information regarding dining , posts daily compasses for the Western portion of your cruise and also MDR menus. Note MDR menus will be the same for both portions of your cruise . It's lengthy but worth checking out : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1992376&highlight=oasis+western+menu

Room service menu does not change daily. It will be the same for the entire 2 weeks of your cruise. Here's the link : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36762748&postcount=5

Zip-line on island ... Can't help you with this one as never been to the Zip-line other than the one actually on-board the Oasis.

Pricing for selected food venues:

• Vintages Wine and Taps Bar ..... Ala Carte pricing.... no reservation required
  • Izumi Asian Cuisine ..................Ala Carte pricing.....reservation recommended
  • Seafood Shack..........................Ala Carte pricing.... no reservation required
  • Chops Grille Steak house............$35.00 pp**reservations required
  • Giovannis Italian......................Lunch $15.00 pp**, Dinner $25.00 pp** reservations required but sometimes can just walk in for lunch.
  • 150 Park Central........................$40.00 pp** reservations required
  • Solarium Bistro..........................Dinner $20.00 pp** reservations required, Breakfast and lunch free.
  • Chefs Table ........................................$85.00 pp**
  • Johnny Rockets ..................................$5.95 pp** all you can eat. Drinks and Milk Shakes are extra and not included in the all you can eat fee.
  • Ice Cream Shop.................................. Ala Carte Pricing
  • Vitality Spa .........................................Ala cart pricing on select items. Food items included in cruise cost
  • Starbucks............................................Ala Carte Pricing
  • Cupcake Cupboard ................................Ala Carte Pricing
  • Room service between the hours of Midnight and 5:00 am has a $3.95 **surcharge.
  • ** = gratuities included

Breakfast in the main dining is really relaxing and less congestive than Windjammer. Also on seas day the MDR is open for lunch and is also very nice. The TUTTI salad bar is extremely nice in addition to all the wonderful entrees. I love the shrimp on the salad bar !

WOW! You are sooooooo informed! Hopefully everything will be wonderful and in a few years I'll be as informed as you are! I really was hoping to be a steady cruiser and I am only encouraged by what you have said and helped me with. A few days ago I was not only ready to give up on future cruising, but not looking forward to this cruise!

I was on CC after I posted looking at the different excursions on the trip and haven't gotten reservations for any of those either. My daughter had thought the Blue Lagoon excursion on St Thomas (?) I think and so I was reading reviews and the reviews are so mixed I don't know what to think about them. I will say that many people talk about "Trunk Bay" and another one that sounds nice. I think you have to just grab a taxi and asked to be taken there. LOL...I think we need our own personal guide for this entire thing. You have been doing a great job....maybe you should come with us!!

Anyway, when I tried to "quote" all three posts that were in reply to mine from the other day I clicked all three to quote and yours wasn't copied into it so I had to reply to yours separately. I've never been on a forum that limits the number of "quotes and replies" - at any rate, maybe you know about the other things I asked about....the internet for instance. I guess I should browse the CC for that. I just get hung up in one review or another and never seem to get where I started out to look for. I'm afraid you are the only one who has not lost patience with me Pat....I know a lot can be found on the site and I am really trying...Thanks for hanging in there with me!!:)

You might enjoy checking this link out. It's from a recent Oasis B2B cruise that has all sorts of food photos. Most are items included in the cruise price. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2050818

Oh forgot to state in my previous post that Breakfast at Johnny Rockets is included in the cruise price. Lunch and Dinner are not.

Thanks!!! I tried to quickly reply before you logged off....I missed you.:(

I've only been to JR back in Nebraska years ago. I remember it as a hamburger type place. Never thought of them having regular breakfast and dinner food. :D

ATTN : Blueeyed Banditti

Would love to come but somehow don't think that's going to work. Who knows sometime our paths will meet on cruise.

Johnny Rockets does not specifically serve "Dinner food". It's just the same menu of hamburgers and other sandwiches that it serves throughout the day. Hours of operation varies so check the Daily Compass. As far as breakfast goes it's generally never crowded and if it's a nice morning you can sit outside. It's generally quiet and you can have a nice leisurely breakfast. d.

Re: internet - Internet on any cruise ship can be slow. Don't expect it to be as speedy as you have it home. The connection is via the ship's satellite and there can be issues at times. Speed is also dependent as to how many are using the internet at that time.

Re: Cell Phone service

• On board ships all cell phone service goes through the ships satellite and it's very expensive . If you turn on your phone and it says "Cellular at Sea" you are connected to the ship's Satellite.
  • Cell Service in port depends on the contract with your service provider. You need to have international service that extends to the specific islands so suggest you contact your service provider directly. Some providers will allow you to temporarily upgrade your contract for cruises . AT&T has such a plan. Regardless , even after docking the Ship's satellite does not always get turned off immediately so check to make certain that "Cellular at Sea " is not displayed on your phone before making a call as you will be charged for satellite service in additional to any fees from your service provider.
  • If it's a matter of someone being able to reach you ( or you reach them ) in case of an emergency there is always the option of calling from the ship directly or someone calling directly to the ship. The following information can be left with someone in case of emergency:

Contacting ship from the USA dial (888) 724-7447. The individual calling must have the name of ship, your name and cabin number. The cost is $7.95 per and can be charged to their Master card or Visa as it does not get directly billed to their standard phone contract. The same $7.95 per minute charge applies for calls made the USA directly from your stateroom cabin and gets billed to your Seapass account. Note there is no charge for room to room calls made on the ship.

Use of Hotel Beaches - Can't help you on this one as not a beach person.

Edited by xxoocruiser

We were on Oasis last summer. My sister uses her own scooter (Luggie) so it was easy for excursions. We had no problems getting around the ship except sometimes had to wait for elevators. The shows on Oasis were great - we did everything but make sure you make reservations ahead of time.

There's a pool on Oasis called the Beach pool. My sister is able to walk a little on her own (with a cane or with assistance). It was actually pretty easy for my sister to get in and out on her own and that's where we went every day while on board ship.

All of the public bathrooms on Oasis have easy access. There's a button on the outside to open the door and then another button to open the door of the accessible stall. Only issue of course are people using the accessible stall when they don't need it (one of my major pet peeves).

We did go to the beach in St. Maartin. It was a ship excursion. The people running the excursion were awesome. We were able to "park" the scooter. They arranged for lounge chairs right next to the water and with my assistance we got down there no problem. Getting in an out of the water was ok - again with my assistance she was able to get in and out. Only issue was the heat so we ended up spending a couple of hours near the restaurant because it was covered and had fans.

We were on Oasis last summer. My sister uses her own scooter (Luggie) so it was easy for excursions. We had no problems getting around the ship except sometimes had to wait for elevators. The shows on Oasis were great - we did everything but make sure you make reservations ahead of time.

There's a pool on Oasis called the Beach pool. My sister is able to walk a little on her own (with a cane or with assistance). It was actually pretty easy for my sister to get in and out on her own and that's where we went every day while on board ship.

All of the public bathrooms on Oasis have easy access. There's a button on the outside to open the door and then another button to open the door of the accessible stall. Only issue of course are people using the accessible stall when they don't need it (one of my major pet peeves).

We did go to the beach in St. Maartin. It was a ship excursion. The people running the excursion were awesome. We were able to "park" the scooter. They arranged for lounge chairs right next to the water and with my assistance we got down there no problem. Getting in an out of the water was ok - again with my assistance she was able to get in and out. Only issue was the heat so we ended up spending a couple of hours near the restaurant because it was covered and had fans.

REALLY? I was afraid I would have to leave the scooter way back and worry about having it be stolen. What "excursion" was this? We have been checking out different beaches and thinking about taking a taxi after leaving the ship. I can walk a short distance. For example, I can walk from handicapped parking to the inside doors at Target, but then I have to use the scooter provided at Target. I have a severe back injury and have had several unsuccessful back surgeries. The pain is just TOO MUCH if I go any further.

I may be able to walk from a taxi drop point down to the waters edge, depending upon the distance. So for me, it's going to be hit or/and miss I'm afraid. For at least Nassau, we are going to take a taxi to a hotel beach. It looks the cleanest with the nicest sand and clearest water. I figured if the taxi drops us off in front of the Hotel doors, we can walk through the hotel to get to the pool area and then down to the beach, stopping every so often to rest my back.

I don't know the distance from the exit doors of the ship to the closest road to catch a taxi. Perhaps my daughter will have to run the scooter back up to our cabin while I wait in the cab. It's all very iffy and little by little I am learning what we might run into.

Do you know how far it is usually from the ship exit to the nearest road for a taxi? Do taxis come around often?

I'm really happy to hear you and your sister seemed to fair very well. It is difficult to have a "great time" when you feel like you're an inconvenience or are dealing with so much pain. I want this trip to be a wonderful memory for my daughter and not a comedy of errors! groooansmileyf.gif Thanks so much for the information!

Here's a better link for Specialty Restaurants and MDR menus.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-kit/9/culinary-press-kit/

Checked it out! Wonderful information Pat!!:)

ATTN : Blueeyed Banditti

Would love to come but somehow don't think that's going to work. Who knows sometime our paths will meet on cruise.

Johnny Rockets does not specifically serve "Dinner food". It's just the same menu of hamburgers and other sandwiches that it serves throughout the day. Hours of operation varies so check the Daily Compass. As far as breakfast goes it's generally never crowded and if it's a nice morning you can sit outside. It's generally quiet and you can have a nice leisurely breakfast. d.

Re: internet - Internet on any cruise ship can be slow. Don't expect it to be as speedy as you have it home. The connection is via the ship's satellite and there can be issues at times. Speed is also dependent as to how many are using the internet at that time.

Re: Cell Phone service

• On board ships all cell phone service goes through the ships satellite and it's very expensive . If you turn on your phone and it says "Cellular at Sea" you are connected to the ship's Satellite.
  • Cell Service in port depends on the contract with your service provider. You need to have international service that extends to the specific islands so suggest you contact your service provider directly. Some providers will allow you to temporarily upgrade your contract for cruises . AT&T has such a plan. Regardless , even after docking the Ship's satellite does not always get turned off immediately so check to make certain that "Cellular at Sea " is not displayed on your phone before making a call as you will be charged for satellite service in additional to any fees from your service provider.
  • If it's a matter of someone being able to reach you ( or you reach them ) in case of an emergency there is always the option of calling from the ship directly or someone calling directly to the ship. The following information can be left with someone in case of emergency:

Contacting ship from the USA dial (888) 724-7447. The individual calling must have the name of ship, your name and cabin number. The cost is $7.95 per and can be charged to their Master card or Visa as it does not get directly billed to their standard phone contract. The same $7.95 per minute charge applies for calls made the USA directly from your stateroom cabin and gets billed to your Seapass account. Note there is no charge for room to room calls made on the ship.

Use of Hotel Beaches - Can't help you on this one as not a beach person.

Hi Pat! Thanks for ALL the great information! I think we'll try the internet and hope for the best. I went to the "roll call" for my B2B and asked a million questions. I was afraid you might be sick of me asking so many questions.:o Now I kinda wish I had asked everything here.sigh.gif I suppose someone will get around to answering my questions, but maybe I could copy and paste that post here. If it's against the rules here, sorry to the mods. ;)

Pat, read below please.flowerysmile.gif

Oh! I love the fact that they have your total bill on the TV! I may have never known this, thanks JERRY! I don't know how to sign up for the mingle and meet, but I imagine I can search on CC and find it easily. I have done a LOT of research on CC and it has been a lot of help. I know we'll enjoy it.

Just a bit nervous about many unknowns.

Oh, one thing...My daughter read a post on CC where someone said her son had ordered, and received, THREE lobster tails in the main dining room. Are you able to get whatever you want, eg. 2 appetizers or 2 deserts to have a variety? Also, are there good quality cuts of meat on the Windjammer?

We've looked at eons of videos and someone had a slab of prime rib, seemingly from the Windjammer. We have been to other rather UPSCALE restaurants that serve all you can eat buffets offering beautiful HUGE cleaned and peeled shrimp in the salad bar and Prime Rib, cut to your liking, but I thought it unlikely to get that in the Windjammer.

Also, we keep running across the word "buffet" in regards to the MDR. What are they talking about? I thought the only "buffet" type places were the Windjammer and another restaurant (cannot recall the restaurant name, my mind just went blank LOL)that offers "healthy" food. I did not think the MDR had a buffet, but I keep seeing people mentioning it.

BTW, I have a big 64oz. insulated mug that I usually keep with me filled with iced tea all the time for taking medication. In hotels, I take my own tea bags and make fresh brewed tea in our room using a lot of ice from the ice machines in the hallway and the little coffee maker. I've read they have eliminated the self-serve ice machines on the ships for sanitary purposes. How can I get enough ice to make my own iced tea? Are there microwaves in the cabins? In hotels I use the little coffee maker to brew my tea. I'm not certain they have those in the cabins since you can order up iced tea from room service. Correct?

Another question please. :) I planned on buying the internet package for $189.00 (approx) for unlimited internet use for the week (and again on the second week.) It's not clear, at least to me, whether that would allow both my daughter and myself to each use our laptops at the same time in our cabin. If she is logged in, can I log in at the same time using the same password etc? I have searched CC and can't get a really clear answer for this.

Also, :) if you are dining in the Windjammer, is it acceptable to take items with you--to your cabin--for later? Is this a no no? We are not the food hoarding types, but I can imagine my daughter might want to take a couple of packages of cocoa for later in the evening....or a dessert that she won't want to go back down for when she might get hungry.

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL REPLIES!!! Lily

Lilly, not tired of answering questions . Glad to be of assistance and that you find the information helpful.

Pat

Meet & Mingle Registration link : https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

Viewing your Seapass bill on TV in your cabin : yes it can be done. it's easy to do after turning on the cabin TV

Ordering multiple entrees :

MDR : Yes you can do it. Yes you can order several Lobster Tails. The Lobster Tail is severed on the second formal night and it's listed on the menu as the Fisherman's Platter. Generally always order several entrees especially when traveling with friends as it's a fun way to taste new things. However I ask politely that only order what you plan to eat. Waste is terrible thing even on cruise ship.

Specialty Restaurants : Only one entrée is allowed but you can order multiples of all the other items

Windjammer : It's a Buffet so certainly you can take multiple entrees. In the evening the Windjammer will serve some of the same menu items as served in the MDR that night. However items such as Lobster, Prime Rib and peeled shrimp will not be served in the Windjammer only the MDR. Cuts of meat served are most likely "Choice" not Prime. For Prime Cuts you'll have to go to the Chops Grille Specialty Restaurant. Or order the Chops Grille Steak listed on the MDR room menu each night and pay a fee ... thinks it's $14.95.

Healthy Food : Basically speaking healthy food items can be found at most all food venues. However the Solarium Bistro and the Vitality Spa Café are specifically geared toward healthier food options.

Making Ice Tea

• No Microwaves in cabin and none provided on ship for passenger use.
  • Believe only Grand Suites and above have a tea kettle for hot water.
  • You can order pots of hot water from room service. Hot water for tea can also be obtained from the Promenade Café which is open 24 hours. Also from the Windjammer.
  • Ice just ask your room attendant. He/she will provide it on a daily basis upon request.

Internet Packages - only one person can sign into the package at a time. You can only sign in if your Daughter is not signed in.

Taking food back to cabins - Yes this is allowed and is a common practice . Also remember the Promenade Café is open 24 hours for the late night snack craving.

Buffets at other food venues:

MDR

• Breakfast there is both menu service and a Cereal, Fruit and Yogurt Buffet in the MDR.
  • At lunch on sea days there is also menu service as well as a Salad Bar Buffet. There is peeled shrimp on the salad buffet in the MDR at lunch only. It's wonderful ! I always get some shrimp to bring back to the table prior to ordering from the menu.

Solarium Bistro

• There is a small buffet served during breakfast and lunch which is free. Also at dinner but dinner service has a fee.

Park Café

• Breakfast - yogurt bar
  • Lunch - salad bar

Edited by xxoocruiser

I don't know the distance from the exit doors of the ship to the closest road to catch a taxi. Perhaps my daughter will have to run the scooter back up to our cabin while I wait in the cab. It's all very iffy and little by little I am learning what we might run into.

Provided that you do not require the use of a Full Size or Bariatric Size scooter, the scooter you have rented will be a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Model. This model is designed to breakdown and fit into a trunk of car so no need for your daughter to have to bring it back to the ship. Personally own this model and evening having MS I can break it down to fit into my Honda CRV in a minutes time. Here's a link that demonstrates how easy it is to breakdown. Fast forward to the 0.54 second point for the demonstration.

FYI - I posted this information in post #2 of the thread back on May 22nd.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Provided that you do not require the use of a Full Size or Bariatric Size scooter, the scooter you have rented will be a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Model. This model is designed to breakdown and fit into a trunk of car so no need for your daughter to have to bring it back to the ship. Personally own this model and evening having MS I can break it down to fit into my Honda CRV in a minutes time. Here's a link that demonstrates how easy it is to breakdown. Fast forward to the 0.54 second point for the demonstration.

I don't know anything about scooters....except that they are a life saver at some stores like Target. I have already paid for a scooter to be delivered to our cabin the day of the cruise. I DID check out the video clip you posted for me on May 22nd.

To me, it looks like it may take several hands on practice runs to get one apart and back together in a timely manner. It would be nice if the taxi drivers could help on our first go at it. I'm sure some know how, but you never know what a taxi driver might know or not know.

I did not order anything specific. The gentleman that was taking down my information asked my height and weight and I believe he asked if I had an oxygen tank. When I told him my height/weight he said, "Oh okay, then you just need the regular blah-blah." I didn't write down the name he muttered. ;)

Did you happen to read all my questions? Perhaps you are tuckered out trying to answer everything. I'm going to check to see if anyone else had anything to add about ordering extra things in the MDR. :)

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I totally missed your big post/reply! I'm so sorry! I only saw the post about the scooters!! Goodness, I am going back to read it all now.....I cannot believe that I did that.:o So sorry Pat! :eek:

I don't know anything about scooters....except that they are a life saver at some stores like Target. I have already paid for a scooter to be delivered to our cabin the day of the cruise. I DID check out the video clip you posted for me on May 22nd.

To me, it looks like it may take several hands on practice runs to get one apart and back together in a timely manner. It would be nice if the taxi drivers could help on our first go at it. I'm sure some know how, but you never know what a taxi driver might know or not know.

I did not order anything specific. The gentleman that was taking down my information asked my height and weight and I believe he asked if I had an oxygen tank. When I told him my height/weight he said, "Oh okay, then you just need the regular blah-blah." I didn't write down the name he muttered. ;)

Did you happen to read all my questions? Perhaps you are tuckered out trying to answer everything. I'm going to check to see if anyone else had anything to add about ordering extra things in the MDR. :)

Yes I did read all your questions in fact answered early this evening. You need to go back to Post #21 of this thread.

Lilly , when rechecking this thread you need to go back to the last time you posted and than read forward so as not to miss anything. Don't just scroll down to the last post.

Scooter is very easy. Not meant to offend you but if you are under 300 lbs the scooter will be a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler that can easily disassemble as shown in the video. If I did it on the first try your daughter can. Taxi driver are generally willing to help provided you talk them through the steps.

Here are the steps

1. Turn scooter off and remove key
  2. Lift front basket off
  3. Fold down back of seat
  4. Reach under right side of the seat and lift the lever up.
  5. Wiggle the seat until it lifts up and out of the base.
  6. Than lift up the battery box. Black box under the front seat
  7. There's are large black knob at the bottom of the front tiller . Turn that so that the tiller begins to fold down and lays on the base
  8. There is a lever directly behind the seat post. Lift that up and the base will release into two parts.