Cruise Critic Needs Your Help!

Brittany C

Hi everyone,

I'm an editor with the Cruise Critic editorial team, and we are working on a number of different features called What to Expect. One of our upcoming features is about disabled/accessible cruising. They are organized in a Q&A format, so I'm looking to see what questions I can collect about accessible cruising (even if you already know the answer). Questions like: Do cruise ships offer wheelchairs or are there aids for the visually/hearing impaired onboard? Really anything that comes to mind about your accessibility needs, please post in this thread so we can answer as many questions as possible and share with our broader readership.

Thank you!

~Brittany Chrusciel

I use a mobility scooter. Can I still use a regular stateroom or must I get an accessible stateroom. What are the benefits of an accessible stateroom. It seems that the accessible staterooms are booked up far in advance so what if I can't get one.

It would be nice to have a list of ports where there is either pedicabs (like in Cozumel at Puerto Maya Pier), ships provided wheelchair assistance (such as Labadee) or a tram (such as Costa Maya) to take a person who has trouble walking distances from the ship to the taxi area or head of the pier to shopping. Thank you.

I would be glad to contribute to your Q and A.

Why are there so few HC cabins? It seems they book early and if a handicapped person didn't book one someone else would love it.

I bring my scooter to cruise. How about one tender that could help us get to shore?

I would love to have a chair with ottoman but it dosn't seem possible. Could we get a few items to assist the handicapped?

Some of the ships have solo cabins, how about HC solo cabins?

Thank you and good luck

4boysnana

If I reserve an accessible cabin can I get an upgrade? Can I reserve a guaranteed accessible cabin? Can I rent a hospital bed to replace one of the beds in the cabin? Can the bed be raised/lowered to meet my needs?

My question is - I am bringing my own wheelchair and do I need to notify carnival that I am bringing it? Also they have a form to fill out but it's for people that have accessible rooms. Mine is a regular room. I can walk but it's limited. Thanks

I have a hearing disability. I need to know which ships have assistive listening systems in the show lounge or theater and what type of receivers does it have. I need to know if the TV shows and movies are closed captioned. Are movies on the big screens shown with English subtitles or closed captions?

Also what safety procedures do they have for passengers with hearing disabilities? How will I know if there is an emergency on board?

I'd like to know why they don't offer complimentary upgrades to HC passengers when there are HC cabins not taken by the ship's internal cut off point. Instead of offering them to us, they give them to non-HC people who booked guarantee cabins, often as an upgrade. Heck, I'd like an upgrade from my obscured outside cabin to a balcony, and I paid more than the person who booked the guarantee. Upgrade *me* and let him have my cabin if there is nothing else for him.

M.

If I choose to dine in the buffet, do the cruise lines offer assistance with carrying plates and drinks to the table I choose?

In the MDR, is there a place to leave my scooter while I eat?

Why on ships such as the Epic are there slot machines located down the main hallway that one has to take to get to shops, dining, Guest Services, etc.?

Many elevators now use electronic voices to give instructions. Could these be used near the doors on the outside to tell passengers to keep moving so that those of us with scooters can get off without hitting people?

Edited by rbrugler

Hi everyone,

I'm an editor with the Cruise Critic editorial team, and we are working on a number of different features called What to Expect. One of our upcoming features is about disabled/accessible cruising. They are organized in a Q&A format, so I'm looking to see what questions I can collect about accessible cruising (even if you already know the answer). Questions like: Do cruise ships offer wheelchairs or are there aids for the visually/hearing impaired onboard? Really anything that comes to mind about your accessibility needs, please post in this thread so we can answer as many questions as possible and share with our broader readership.

Thank you!

~Brittany Chrusciel

Hi. I would very much like to take part in this but I find that the disabled section of Cruise Critic mainly covers American Cruise lines. Would it be possible for a disabled section to be set up for European Cruise lines to help disabled passengers sailing from European ports because the ADA does not apply to these cruises. Thanks

For those with mobility issues it is important to have seating that is not so low to the floor... could cruise ships have some dedicated seating that is firm and not low to the floor...

Is it possible to get a shower bench in a disabled room as the one attached to the wall is not the best option for some mobility issues

Can you get what would amount to a discount for an attendant needed to travel with a disabled passenger

Is it possible to have a crew member assist in the buffet when a disabled person would like to eat there instead of the MDR

Is there a tram to assist those who cannot walk distances get from the ship to the end of the pier

Just a few to start but I will give this more thought...

Transportation to the end of the pier....every pier....and a bench to wait on....?

could there be a scooter parking area at the end of the pier that is secure?

Even the newest ships do not have very many venues where there is a logical place to park a scooter....could more thought in the planning stage make it easier and safer to park.?

Regular size scooters mostly have the same width....could cabin doors be made wide enough for the average scooter instead of just shy enough to make an hc cabin necessary?

Could hc cabins have automatic doors?....so much safer to use with a scooter..

Could soft material be used around the base of the hc shower to prevent so much unsafe leakage of water?..a wheelchair could still roll over....the material would bounce back......

Think I may have missed the point of this....oh well....adhd strikes again!!!!

Will there be loungers tall enough for me to get up and down safely?....many are just too low....especially if you have been sitting and stiffen up...

How can I get my heat pack warmed up?

Will I have to stand in the blazing sun for muster drill?

It would be nice to have a list of ports where there is either pedicabs (like in Cozumel at Puerto Maya Pier), ships provided wheelchair assistance (such as Labadee) or a tram (such as Costa Maya) to take a person who has trouble walking distances from the ship to the taxi area or head of the pier to shopping. Thank you.

I attempted prior to my cruise in March to find out his info and never got a response well San Juan has no assistance ST KITTS has a golf cart well worth a buck due to heat ST Marten also has tram and golf cart Long walk to excursion buses

clear definations of full accessable & partically accessable cabins

pictures/ diagrams of the actual handicapped cabins somewhwere on the cruise line site

automatic doors

hc cabins close to elevators

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

~Brittany Chrusciel

Hi Brittany, as editor do u think that it would be possable to set up a disability section for European cruises because it would be also helpful for American passengers that have booked onto European cruises were different disability laws apply ? Response would be appreciated.

Better description of accessible cabins would be much appreciated with dimensions and photographs. On my last cruise I could not get my wheelchair fully into the bathroom/shower-room and there was a ramp INSIDE the cabin. I'd never have booked the cabin if I'd known.

As said before, why so few accessible cabins? There are no last minute bargain prices for these cabins.

There are some last minute bargains but if you are turned down months in advance why would you check again unless you were given that advice....able cruisers comment from time to time that they were given hc cabins after final payment....I have been able to get hc on ncl to bermuda and in jan on princess regal....both after final payment and once up sold to a hc suite just days before ncl to bermuda out of nyc...if you have the flexibility keep trying after final payment....

I have a cruise booked for grand med in 20 16 and would welcome a European section very much...

How often are ships required to actually do a tender lowering with a crew member or volunteer passenger actually in a wheelchair? How often is an evacuation of a non-walking person simulated during abandon ship practices without using an elevator?

There are some last minute bargains but if you are turned down months in advance why would you check again unless you were given that advice....able cruisers comment from time to time that they were given hc cabins after final payment....I have been able to get hc on ncl to bermuda and in jan on princess regal....both after final payment and once up sold to a hc suite just days before ncl to bermuda out of nyc...if you have the flexibility keep trying after final payment....

I have a cruise booked for grand med in 20 16 and would welcome a European section very much...

Hi searoses, thank you for support for a European section, it would certainly help the likes of yourself on the forthcoming European cruise.